No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how you didn’t see this coming. Again, the Arraez trade was a clear and obvious signal they are embarking on a 3 year rebuild. That’s why I said it’s a disgrace. They were always going with a high school bat.
    I said it days ago. They are not trying to contend. They will let the bottom fall out for 3 full years, yet again

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post

It feels like he was a fallback. Most of the college bats tied to them went before they picked. Morlando had been connected to them. Honestly, I’d prefer them take a HS bat with upside over a leftover college bat. I would have preferred Theo Gillen, but I’m ok with this pick.
      His swing is...ugly.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

the team not giving a flying fuck about competing any time in the next 4 years by trading away the only quality bats they had in an already terrible lineup in Arraez and soon to be Jazz as well is the one trying to chase away the few members left here, not me for acknowledging reality and not wasting everyones time with novels that include 5 fucking extensions when they clearly wont give anyone a single extension. If you want to talk about how the team can possibly turn it around, the way to do so is to talk about their remaining quality pieces trade value and which 18 year old guy they will draft on sunday, which is where this is heading in the next few weeks through next trade deadline.
        Now get ready for the lower lower minors bats that will be acquired for jazz, Scott, bell, and whatever other pieces will be dealt

Comment

Not sure how you didn’t see this coming. Again, the Arraez trade was a clear and obvious signal they are embarking on a 3 year rebuild. That’s why I said it’s a disgrace. They were always going with a high school bat.
          I said it days ago. They are not trying to contend. They will let the bottom fall out for 3 full years, yet again
          I dont think you are wrong, but not right either.

I dont think they FO or ownership care about winning or having competitive windows.

If they have a year where they compete they won't self sabotage but it will happen in spite of them.

The number one priority will always be making sure to get as much money in Sherman's pocket as is humanly possible.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post

I dont think you are wrong, but not right either.

I dont think they FO or ownership care about winning or having competitive windows.

If they have a year where they compete they won't self sabotage but it will happen in spite of them.

The number one priority will always be making sure to get as much money in Sherman's pocket as is humanly possible.
            Those two things are intertwined at this point.

Comment

Not sure how you didn’t see this coming.
              Thanks for the 47th reminder, Mr. Diplomacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Thanks for the 47th reminder, Mr. Diplomacy.
                Fuck off. Keep defending the indefensible. Definitely not a 3+ year rebuild right? Might be a good idea to start scouting your local high school freshman. Those kids will be in their prime and you will have wasted thousands of dollars supporting this shit by the time this team plans on contending next

oh ya, and they just finished the first half of the season a whopping 30 games under .500. 30!!!
                Last edited by fish16; 07-14-2024, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• We took a high school bat with….. 2 homers last year, who isn’t fast, and will be relegated to LF or 1b. Just a complete joke

Comment

• It’s easy to pile on what’s going on in the organization and say the plan was to go young or spend as little as possible. While that’s possible, I think it’s far more likely that when Moore, King, Thibbs, and Smith went off the board, they pivoted from a college bar where they’d have to take a guy from the next tier, and went underslot with a higher upside player that also allows them to spend on another high upside HS player with their next pick like they did last year. That is exactly what multiple pundits said could happen if the board fell this way.

Morlando didn’t come into the draft as a top 20 prospect, but a year ago he was regarded as the best prep bat in this class. This year he was intentionally walked at an extremely high rate, and didn’t get a lot to hit in South Carolina. So while a down year is a concern, the upside is really high. This is not taking Jacob Berry with better players there. It’s the opposite of that. They could have taken a safer college bat, who profiles as probably a mediocre starter, but instead they took a chance on potential while also giving them flexibility to go over slot later. I’m not mad at this pick at all based on how the board fell. I may have preferred another guy with a similar profile, but I like the idea.
                    Last edited by sports24/7; 07-14-2024, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• 30 games under? 20 games under? 15 games under? Does it matter right now? I hope they finish with 45 wins and get the #1 pick.

Sandy out all year
                      Eury out all year
                      Edward Cabrera out all year
                      Braxton Garrett.
                      Luzardo

Please give me 46 wins.

Comment

• And there you go. Carter Johnson was another underslot name mentioned for the Marlins in round 1, and they get him at 56. Was Keith Law’s 26th ranked player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          30 games under? 20 games under? 15 games under? Does it matter right now? I hope they finish with 45 wins and get the #1 pick.

Sandy out all year
                          Eury out all year
                          Edward Cabrera out all year
                          Braxton Garrett.
                          Luzardo

Please give me 46 wins.
                          First, we won’t be the worst team in the league somehow. Second, being this bad guarantees nothing. There is a lottery. The three worst teams in the league still have less than a 50% chance of a top 3 pick. So we could be this bad and be more likely to pick out of the top 3 than in the top 3

They are more likely than not to be this fucking bad and sell off every useful piece and decimate an already decimated fan base for no top 3 “savior” pick
                          Last edited by fish16; 07-15-2024, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Mish explained the rationale as the Marlins know they aren’t going to compete the next two years, and because of that, they don’t want to waste years on prospects who are closer. To me, that’s nonsense. The further away a prospect is, the more risk you’re assuming, and even if you get more players with higher upside, you’re still putting yourself in a position where not only is there a chance you end up with nothing, it’s probably the more likely outcome statistically. On top of that, there is nothing for the fan base to get excited about. At least if you have some young players, that’s a reason to want to watch, even if you know the team will be bad.

To further melt your mind, he said he doesn’t think they plan to trade Sandy through the rebuild. He said they plan to keep him, and have him here when they’re ready to compete again. Obviously that’s just incredibly dumb and flies in the face of everything else they’re doing. He’s the one piece you have that would actually allow you to stock the farm, and you’re going to just waste two years with him? I cannot wrap my head around that one because it’s so stupid.

On the bright side, he did indicate that they should probably feel some urgency to compete starting in 2026 (I know, whoopdie-fucking-do) because with the new CBA, if you’re a lottery team 3 years in a row, you have to go to the end of the line that fourth year in the draft (or something like that).

Honestly, it’s all fucking depressing, so outside of hoping Bruce sells the team, the hope has to be that Mish is wrong, or the Marlins get lucky with these trades that some of the guys they get back do eventually pan out, and also that they start hitting on draft picks.
                            This is mind melting - the Sandy comment is going to be wrong also. I'll spare the flow chart, but it doesn't make sense to have him around at his salary number versus by Super2 deadline 2026 or opening day 2027, you *still* might have 7+ starting pitchers - Eury, Garrett, Max, Weathers, Cabrera, Noble, and White (+ Fulton/Others, perhaps new draftee Aiden May could be a fast riser on profile, etc.). Combined with they'd also have at least the middle/back of a bullpen under control - Nardi, Cronin, and a slew of other RP potential guys (Hoeing, Maldonado, etc.) - the pitching is still figured out (on paper) so having money money tied to pushing someone else to the bullpen, or trading them for worse bats than Sandy, doesn't make any sense. Sandy is going to be traded for 2-3 enormous prospect name bats under club control, and they'll use that money for bats eventually.

No notes on the bold. That's the plan. Be the Orioles.

Comment

• be the orioles- who in 4 consecutive years before the lottery was implemented, bottomed out and took rutschman, holliday, cowser, and kjerstad with 2 #1 overall picks, a #2 pick, and a number 5 pick, plus getting gunnar henderson in the 2nd round, and jordan westburg with the 30th overall pick.

Good luck with that long term strategy not only picking the right players, but getting that high in the draft at all with the new lottery. a plan that is destined to fail from the start.

Comment

And there you go. Carter Johnson was another underslot name mentioned for the Marlins in round 1, and they get him at 56. Was Keith Law’s 26th ranked player.
                                Carter is a FV45 on Fangraphs tied with players 15-32 overall. i.e., he would fall into the range of their 1st round pick. Pipeline had him at 40.

Morlando a FV40+, tied with players 33-47, i.e. he is a very good 2nd round pick. Pipeline had him at 43.

May they have as a FV40, players 48-79, i.e. he is a 2nd round pick once all the comp picks are added. Pipeline had him at 82.

You hit the nail on the head - the MLB draft is bizarre with how teams use gamesmanship for underslot here for overslot there. It's how they got White last year TBH. I think you have to view this as a whole and not where you get someone. Value wise seeing this, Carter seems like a little reach for a 1st rounder but really not much of a reach given the crapshoot of MLB drafting, Morlando a good 2nd rounder, and May was drafted about where he should. Big picture, this was a well executed draft plan value wise. Doesn't mean it will work out, but you can see the wheels spinning and we have to start somewhere from this terrible offseason.

I read somewhere (can't find link) they are going to work out Morlando at CF because they think he's really athletic. This might some fluff like Bleday getting some time in CF or Edwards at SS, but just an interesting note.

No problems with this one. Hopefully some gold mining occurs next few picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X