No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont think it makes any sense to trade luzardo until the offseason unless a team is willing to come in and overpay right now. The guy is hurt, he is not going to command full value. if he does take it, if he doesnt, let him come back the last few months and reestablish value and then deal him with 2 more years of team control in the offseason.

As is relates to the dodgers, their farm system isnt as desirable to me as it was a year or 2 ago, especially as it relates to hitters. They still have pitching, but that's not really a fit right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      i dont think it makes any sense to trade luzardo until the offseason unless a team is willing to come in and overpay right now. The guy is hurt, he is not going to command full value. if he does take it, if he doesnt, let him come back the last few months and reestablish value and then deal him with 2 more years of team control in the offseason.

As is relates to the dodgers, their farm system isnt as desirable to me as it was a year or 2 ago, especially as it relates to hitters. They still have pitching, but that's not really a fit right now.
      100% in concept, but don't need an overpay for me. You keep him unless you get what full healthy value looks like for a 3+ WAR pitcher for 2.15 seasons of service time (sigh Bendix, SIGH). I think it will be unlikely with some unknowns, but someone like the Dodgers has the overall depth and money to do this on top of anything else they want to do to really flex themselves making a decadent Luzardo acquisition for the future and if he's healthy, he's making playoff rosters very quickly. Unlikely, I just don't think it's a hard never gonna happen. I would prefer getting -ALL- hitters too, but if player # 2 in a hypothetical Luzardo/Scott deal to the Dodgers is Rushing + Ryan/Hurt/Frasso..... all that says to me is they can trade say Rogers and target a second tier bat for him (lets punt on the extent one thinks Rogers has value and just agree they would be able to trade him easily for some kind of appropriate bat(s) as everyone always be needing lefties).

Gonna be lots of options for the Marlins as they have a lot of useful parts for teams, but the more I think about it, its a scorch fucking earth - ring up Lee Stone to sell Sandy for 3 bats somewhere else - and circling 2026 despite us constantly constantly joking that they always kick the can. This time, they might actually be right for once with the combination of hitting regression, pitching injuries, and Bruce's inability to spend a dime.

Just don't trade Jazz to Philly. That's all I ask.

Comment

• lou, do you have the spare time to somehow worm your way into Bendix's office and convince him to sign you as his Ideas Man for 2 years with a Club Option?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

This is what I saw and is bullshit. This team is really poorly run.

This gets them quick to moving Luzardo, Sandy ($$$), Puk, Sanchez, DLC, Burger, Nardi, Bender, and Rogers in the offseason IMO for a complete retool. They can’t piece this together without Jazz and getting young guys years away for him (absent a $120m payroll), so it just opens the floodgates to shedding all the money. And I do mean all of it as why keep any of it if you’re not going to go for it?

If they did that, they’d still have a full (healthy) rotation here in summer 2025 with Eury, Garrett, Cabrera, Weathers, and Max which might be quite good fast, but for the love of fuck what a missed opportunity just not doing an assortment of these moves before the season if this was always the plan. Rookie POBO/GM moment and burned that Luzardo year in particular.

Will be interested in seeing what they do but hearing young guys not ready in 2025 (as I doubt he meant midseason) is a baaaad omen. Infuriating when all he has to do is spend $110-120m as the pitching is there when healthy.
          Mish explained the rationale as the Marlins know they aren’t going to compete the next two years, and because of that, they don’t want to waste years on prospects who are closer. To me, that’s nonsense. The further away a prospect is, the more risk you’re assuming, and even if you get more players with higher upside, you’re still putting yourself in a position where not only is there a chance you end up with nothing, it’s probably the more likely outcome statistically. On top of that, there is nothing for the fan base to get excited about. At least if you have some young players, that’s a reason to want to watch, even if you know the team will be bad.

To further melt your mind, he said he doesn’t think they plan to trade Sandy through the rebuild. He said they plan to keep him, and have him here when they’re ready to compete again. Obviously that’s just incredibly dumb and flies in the face of everything else they’re doing. He’s the one piece you have that would actually allow you to stock the farm, and you’re going to just waste two years with him? I cannot wrap my head around that one because it’s so stupid.

On the bright side, he did indicate that they should probably feel some urgency to compete starting in 2026 (I know, whoopdie-fucking-do) because with the new CBA, if you’re a lottery team 3 years in a row, you have to go to the end of the line that fourth year in the draft (or something like that).

Honestly, it’s all fucking depressing, so outside of hoping Bruce sells the team, the hope has to be that Mish is wrong, or the Marlins get lucky with these trades that some of the guys they get back do eventually pan out, and also that they start hitting on draft picks.

Comment

• Speaking of the draft, everyone seems to think that they’re going with one of the college bats tomorrow, and I’d be happy with that. Guys like Smith, King, and Benge feel like they’d be solid enough picks. There is some talk that they could take an under slot HS bat if the college bats they like aren’t there, and I’d actually also be ok with that. They’d be further away, which sucks, and riskier, but the upside might be much greater, and it would allow you to probably get two cracks at it using the money later on. It’ll be interesting to see what this new group does in the draft. It’ll be tough to be much worse than the last group.

Comment

• I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I really want Walker Janek if he is still there.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I really want Walker Janek if he is still there.
                FWIW he’s projected to go later than the Marlins’ pick, and he may be the 2nd or 3rd catcher taken. A couple have him going 20th, and that’s the highest I’ve seen him going. Most have him closer to the end of the 1st.

Comment

• That's fine. He looks to me like an advanced bat who could move fast.

And it isn't just the impressive JR year stats. He hit .308/.432/.456 as a true freshman while starting 51 games. And he is by all accounts really good behind the plate as well.

It is one of the weakest positions in our entire system and IMO he has the tools to move fast.
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post

Mish explained the rationale as the Marlins know they aren’t going to compete the next two years, and because of that, they don’t want to waste years on prospects who are closer. To me, that’s nonsense. The further away a prospect is, the more risk you’re assuming, and even if you get more players with higher upside, you’re still putting yourself in a position where not only is there a chance you end up with nothing, it’s probably the more likely outcome statistically. On top of that, there is nothing for the fan base to get excited about. At least if you have some young players, that’s a reason to want to watch, even if you know the team will be bad.

To further melt your mind, he said he doesn’t think they plan to trade Sandy through the rebuild. He said they plan to keep him, and have him here when they’re ready to compete again. Obviously that’s just incredibly dumb and flies in the face of everything else they’re doing. He’s the one piece you have that would actually allow you to stock the farm, and you’re going to just waste two years with him? I cannot wrap my head around that one because it’s so stupid.

On the bright side, he did indicate that they should probably feel some urgency to compete starting in 2026 (I know, whoopdie-fucking-do) because with the new CBA, if you’re a lottery team 3 years in a row, you have to go to the end of the line that fourth year in the draft (or something like that).

Honestly, it’s all fucking depressing, so outside of hoping Bruce sells the team, the hope has to be that Mish is wrong, or the Marlins get lucky with these trades that some of the guys they get back do eventually pan out, and also that they start hitting on draft picks.
                    So dumb, the only reason they now have 0 chance to compete the next two years is because they traded Arraez, spent 0 money, and are now going to trade jazz as well. We spent years talking about a window of this year and next year due to the pitching. This year went up in flames because of the pitching injuries, but to say they couldn’t have competed if they, you know, tried at all, is a fucking joke, and does even further damage to the worst fan base in baseball. Just 0 self awareness

the farm needed an overhaul, but to burn it to the ground instead of rebuilding it over time with better scouting and development instead of completely tearing everything down and being terrible for the next 3 years is a completely self inflicted wound

Comment

• It’s been clear Xavier Edwards could hit for a year and a half and he’s just now getting starting time and impressing while we had Joey wendle wasting a starting spot every day for a year

Comment

• Dane myers broke his ankle kicking a door after being ejected. It needs to be rule number 1 to not be dumb enough to punch or kick anything just because you’re frustrated. So fucking stupid

Comment

• After the deadline it should be two months of max Meyer, Troy Johnston, vvm, Xavier Edwards, Anthony Maldonado, etc

Comment

• PJ Morlando, HS OF. Sounds like a project. We have no plans to contend any time soon.

Comment

• He went about 30 picks higher than the most generous projection.

He was also old for a high schooler, being 19 already.

I am assuming Sherman has told Bendix to spend as little as humanly possible on the draft or international market.
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                                PJ Morlando, HS OF. Sounds like a project. We have no plans to contend any time soon.
                                It feels like he was a fallback. Most of the college bats tied to them went before they picked. Morlando had been connected to them. Honestly, I’d prefer them take a HS bat with upside over a leftover college bat. I would have preferred Theo Gillen, but I’m ok with this pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X