2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

I mean come on dude. You listed 6 of 9 starters they need to get in a single offseason to be a decent team, and you expect that to be realistic? It’s ridiculous.
    Kim left flaring holes open for years without addressing them and we’re seeing the affects now.
    Exactly, and the 3 spots taken are a guy in aa currently, a platoon player in jazz, and a dh ideally in burger, plus a rotation with multiple guys coming off major injuries, and a bullpen with absolutely nothing of note. All while saying it’s not a major multi year rebuild
    Last edited by fish16; 05-04-2024, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!
      I laughed because I was going to post the same thing!

Who else had Under 10 hours for fish16's leave of absence?

Comment

• While the topic is shifting to FIRE SALE, I have very conflicted feelings about Jazz.

When he's on, he's electric. ++ personality, ++swag, a flair for the dramatic (I believe he's already one grand slam away from tying the franchise record).

When he's off, he's a total mess. His consistent arguing over the strike zone has resulted in him being Villian #1 to umpires all over the league. Now he has a target on his back.

Like has been mentioned many times, he's almost an automatic out vs LHP. That's a SERIOUS problem when you're talking about a big extension, face if the franchise type player.

Then there's the injuries.

His total WAR over the last 3 full seasons is 6.4

It would be a bad baseball decision to keep him if there's an overpay out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          While the topic is shifting to FIRE SALE, I have very conflicted feelings about Jazz.

When he's on, he's electric. ++ personality, ++swag, a flair for the dramatic (I believe he's already one grand slam away from tying the franchise record).

When he's off, he's a total mess. His consistent arguing over the strike zone has resulted in him being Villian #1 to umpires all over the league. Now he has a target on his back.

Like has been mentioned many times, he's almost an automatic out vs LHP. That's a SERIOUS problem when you're talking about a big extension, face if the franchise type player.

Then there's the injuries.

His total WAR over the last 3 full seasons is 6.4

It would be a bad baseball decision to keep him if there's an overpay out there.
          He’s nowhere close to a franchise player. He’s worse and more immature joc Pederson with less power, more speed, more injury prone and better marketing and swag. Hes part of the reason this team is not even remotely close to being able to compete any time in the next 3 years

no one is overpaying for him, he’s not that valuable
          Last edited by fish16; 05-04-2024, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• the marlins are paying Arraez salary this year? WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

What they should do is the opposite and right now extend:

Jazz 5/$65m (+club option)
              Cabrera 5/$35m (+club option)
              Rogers 4/$30m (+club option)

These would be based on arbitration buyout comps. Career earnings Jazz $5.2m, Cabrera $2.6m, Rogers $7m (1st rd. pick $$$). These are *big* lifestyle jumps for these guys when they are all faced with a 2025 arbitration tender likely ranging from $2.75-4.5m tops. A lot to think about with all of their injury history. Everyone is still a free agent at a good enough age to get a second deal. Ultimately, the two arms are average bullpen prices theses days and you're just taking a swing on Jazz to be good.

I'm not saying they are going to do this, I'm saying if this team wants to change some narratives, this is how you sell everyone there is some vision here and makes some moves easier to swallow.

As for Burger, you also say in jest, but the Yankees # 12 prospect is a FV40+ C prospect Fangraphs thinks could turn into a top 100 guy next year. Ramirez https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ag...ats?position=C. See, https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to...-2025-top-100/. He's a perfect second piece in a hypothetical Burger trade but they'd need someone else. Like Peraza I imagine and that gets really interesting fast for me.
              Yeah. The only way for them to save any face is to start extending young guys. But I think we are all pretty confident that’s not going to happen. You just have to hope Bendix does a better job of identifying prospects than his predecessors. It doesn’t feel like he’s off to a great start, but we won’t really know for a while.

Mish he’s heard baseball people tell him the return is ok, but that there just wasn’t much interest. And my question to that would be why the he’ll rush and trade him now, then. I suppose maybe they really liked Head. We’ll see. Against all odds, Kieth Law actually liked it for Miami. He called it the best trade they’ve made in years. Nothing he said about the prospects was incredibly encouraging, but he said Head has star potential, and the other guys could be decent bench options.

Honestly, I don’t blame anyone online for overreacting to this. It’s just a continuous cycle of selling players at depreciated value. In a vacuum, it makes some sense obviously. And Bendix wasn’t the one who traded for Arraez to begin with. But for a fan base that has continually seen fan favorites head out the door with no spending, save for brief spurts before fire sales, it’s incredibly frustrating emotionally. And when everyone knows the owner is a joke and will never spend money, it’s hard to have any faith. Hopefully they can build the farm, and fans that get it, can enjoy that. But shit is awfully bleak for this franchise right now, with no reasonable reason to believe it’ll get better.

Comment

• If it hasn’t been mentioned already, we’re paying the Padres $8M too

Comment

• You simply cannot argue out of one side of your mouth that the guy is going to get $100 million deal in free agency while teams are getting increasingly more wary of signing free agents while saying out of the other corner of your mouth that they didn’t get a top 100 prospect because he is terrible defensively and will move to 1b or dh. He won’t get paid all that much in free agency for a team that has nothing in the way of long term contracts and nothing close to any elite prospects. This is a pathetic deal for a pathetic franchise.

there is 0 doubt they have to rebuild the team from the ground up. There is 0 excuse for trading him to do so while not even getting a top 4 prospect in your organization according to mlb pipeline and completely obliterating any chance you had of competing next year.

cleaning up the mess ng and denbo left long term is not mutually exclusive with keeping a 27 year old Arraez as the best pure hitter in baseball and paying him what he is worth as the only worthwhile hitting piece in almost the entire organization. It’s a loser move from a loser organization and owner

they chose quite literally the only option that kills the team undoubtedly for at least the next two years while also not getting anywhere close to a great prospect haul that can help anytime soon
                  Last edited by fish16; 05-04-2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• The best pure hitter in baseball was the 76th best player in MLB in 2023.

Comment

The best pure hitter in baseball was the 76th best player in MLB in 2023.
                      The best pure hitter in baseball had the 16th best wrc+ and is the two time reigning batting champ, plus the lowest k rate by far at 5.5%. Second best in baseball was at 10% out of qualified hitters. The 15th best k rate was closer to 2nd than 2nd was to Arraez. 8th best obp in baseball. Hes the best pure hitter in baseball. Not signing him at 27 is a disgrace
                      Last edited by fish16; 05-04-2024, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Arraez is an amazing hitter. Maybe more than amazing.

But every other aspect of his game drags his name down to the 76th spot on the list of best baseball players in MLB (per fWAR).

Comment

Arraez is an amazing hitter. Maybe more than amazing.

But every other aspect of his game drags his name down to the 76th spot on the list of best baseball players in MLB (per fWAR).
                          So considering he’s 27 and, as you said, an amazing hitter, maybe you focus on what he does at an elite level better than any player in baseball and not what he doesn’t do. Especially considering we have absolutely nothing up and down the organization in terms of impact hitters while we have a rotation that will be one of the best in baseball next year. If he’s so bad at everything else, then the contract he will get won’t be close to 100 million in free agency in an era where teams are super reluctant to spend. There is nothing stopping them from what we all agree is necessary in terms of completely overhauling the organization from a player development standpoint, but it’s not like you can’t do that while also reinvesting in great play at a relatively young age, especially if this is the return you were going to get. If you got campusano, or Merrill, or Salas, or some other high level player, I’d be fine with it, but they just traded the heart of the organization while not making a single attempt to resign him for a return of guys who won’t be anywhere near the majors any time soon.

mlb pipeline has none of the guys being in the top 4 prospects in our terrible farm system. For by far our best player and the heart of the team.
                          Last edited by fish16; 05-04-2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• JJ Bleday hit a 3 run HR off of Trevor Rogers because of course he did

Comment

• Arraez 4-4 in his Padre debut.

Life is pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                                Arraez 4-4 in his Padre debut.

Life is pain.
                                What a shock. At least you can totally count on the marlins to develop 19 year olds to become great hitters.

Comment

Working...
                                X