This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    Can't imagine this as they just DFA'd Galloway for Brice back, so clearly they never valued Galloway (thankfully).

What's odd is, I have a good Indians friend and they are saying Wittgren has an option.

You can't tell me there are 22 better 40 man eligible pitchers in the Marlins organization today, including new guy and Brice.

This is a confusing one.
    But what I'm saying is since they already DFA'd him, it was trade him or lose him for nothing since a Realmuto+Wittgren deal didn't materialize.

That's what I was getting at before too - they should've DFA'd a guy like Galloway when they signed Walker and kept Wittgren. The only thing I can think is they wanted a guy with (more) options.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Indians designated AJ Cole after getting Wittgren. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      We got a minor league reliever who is the same age as Wittgren and has worse stats in the minor leagues than Wittgren does in the majors.

Awesome.
      WINNING CULTURE

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wittgren may have been the Marlins best in the pen. This from Ken Rosenthall

#Indians Nick Wittgren 2018 Pitch Quality

4.38 QOPA

Location (Top 29% MLB)
        Velocity (Top 35% MLB)
        Low Rise (Top 39% MLB)

5:01 PM - 4 Feb 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          Can't imagine this as they just DFA'd Galloway for Brice back, so clearly they never valued Galloway (thankfully).

What's odd is, I have a good Indians friend and they are saying Wittgren has an option.

You can't tell me there are 22 better 40 man eligible pitchers in the Marlins organization today, including new guy and Brice.

This is a confusing one.
          Really a odd move with Witt to start with but Milbrath has some talent(even tho older). 6'6 215 throws sidearm up to 97 and is a groundball machine 70% GB rate

Yep Witt has an option left which made it even crazier-its not like we had to DFA him(Galloway/Herrera/Kinley). Milbrath is NOT on the 40 man however was taken in Rule 5 LY and couldn't make the Pirates

Nice to see they figured out Galloway sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if Brice is DFA soon(sign FA) they just wanted to get him back in the system. They can 60 Day Fernandez/Caleb Smith in March to add Holaday and ? however

NOTE-Something I heard(No clue if true) was Miami put in a claim for Austin Brice and used DFA Issac Galloway on 1/28 however thought they needed another 40 man spot on 1/29 so they couldn't use Galloway because was already used and used Witt but then the need fell thru. I would have used Kinley but makes some sense. No clue if was trade or FA signing-just said they thought they needed the spot(Tuesday 1/29 was when Miami thought they had a deal with Cincy however)
          Last edited by tjfla; 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Future DFA guys would be Brice/Kinley/Wallach/Herrera and then March u can 60 Day Fernandez/Caleb Smith and add backup C(Holaday)/another RP(Noesi/Eveld/another guy) for start of season

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Really a odd move with Witt to start with but Milbrath has some talent(even tho older). 6'6 215 throws sidearm up to 97 and is a groundball machine 70% GB rate

Yep Witt has an option left which made it even crazier-its not like we had to DFA him(Galloway/Herrera/Kinley). Milbrath is NOT on the 40 man however was taken in Rule 5 LY and couldn't make the Pirates

Nice to see they figured out Galloway sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if Brice is DFA soon(sign FA) they just wanted to get him back in the system. They can 60 Day Fernandez/Caleb Smith in March to add Holaday and ? however

NOTE-Something I heard(No clue if true) was Miami put in a claim for Austin Brice and used DFA Issac Galloway on 1/28 however thought they needed another 40 man spot on 1/29 so they couldn't use Galloway because was already used and used Witt but then the need fell thru. I would have used Kinley but makes some sense. No clue if was trade or FA signing-just said they thought they needed the spot(Tuesday 1/29 was when Miami thought they had a deal with Cincy however)
              Yeah, even if they had something else lined up, DFA-ing Wittgren still is odd considering how many other options they had. I can't see how Kinley is a better option.

Either way, I can't believe that it's February 5th and they still haven't made a JT trade yet. At some point, you have to get everyone's best offer and decide because I don't think bringing him to Fan Fest is a realistic option. It will be a huge distraction hanging over everyone.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Future DFA guys would be Brice/Kinley/Wallach/Herrera and then March u can 60 Day Fernandez/Caleb Smith and add backup C(Holaday)/another RP(Noesi/Eveld/another guy) for start of season
              I keep forgetting that we are wasting a roster spot on Chad Wallach...makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                Yeah, even if they had something else lined up, DFA-ing Wittgren still is odd considering how many other options they had. I can't see how Kinley is a better option.

Either way, I can't believe that it's February 5th and they still haven't made a JT trade yet. At some point, you have to get everyone's best offer and decide because I don't think bringing him to Fan Fest is a realistic option. It will be a huge distraction hanging over everyone.

- - - - - - - - - -

I keep forgetting that we are wasting a roster spot on Chad Wallach...makes no sense.
                Ya Wallach could pass thru easy and be in AAA unless needed. Agreed on Kinley

Its really whatever-2020 Guzman/Yamamoto/Brigham/Merandy will all be pen options with Eveld and others. 1 thing we have tons of is RP options and our 2020 is already set without #1 starter or Neidert/Gallen(Urena/Smith OR Chen/Sandy/Richards/Pablo)
                Last edited by tjfla; 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Ya Wallach could pass thru easy and be in AAA unless needed. Agreed on Kinley

Its really whatever-2020 Guzman/Yamamoto/Brigham/Merandy will all be pen options with Eveld and others
                  Wallach is a backup-level catcher even in AAA. There are any number of other catchers that can do what he does.

Yeah, but it seems like they sold low on Wittgren for no real reason. And yes, they have plenty of other arms, but it seems like they mismanaged an asset. I suppose it could be that there is something about him they don't like (injury risk perhaps?). In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but it is odd that they didn't have a better plan.

Comment

Wallach is a backup-level catcher even in AAA. There are any number of other catchers that can do what he does.

Yeah, but it seems like they sold low on Wittgren for no real reason. And yes, they have plenty of other arms, but it seems like they mismanaged an asset. I suppose it could be that there is something about him they don't like (injury risk perhaps?). In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but it is odd that they didn't have a better plan.
                    Ya but how many of their daddies sit on the bench?

Comment

Ya but how many of their daddies sit on the bench?
                      True...

Comment

• only thing i can think of re wittgren is that they like a specific style of hardthrowing reliever and wanted to evaluate the ones like that we have gotten in various trades. either that or off the field stuff. makes no sense otherwise.

Comment

I firmly believe it's a Bryce and Machado issue.

Comment

Should we really be worried about distractions? We're going to be terrible either way. Getting value for JT is more important than anything that's going to happen on the field in March, April, May.

Comment

Should we really be worried about distractions? We're going to be terrible either way. Getting value for JT is more important than anything that's going to happen on the field in March, April, May.
                              I mean, I agree that getting value back is the top priority, but you also don't want someone around your young players that has publicly made it known he doesn't want to be there. It's not really about wins and losses, but what kind of culture you are setting. I'm sure JT would be professional about it, but it's best for everyone to get a trade done and the sooner the better.

Comment

They should put up a deadline and say send us best offer BUT they are waiting for Harper/Machado to sign. If either sign with SD then SD's offer goes UP,if either sign with Philly then maybe Atlanta or LAD panic and UP offer.

No one is willing to make a move until the big FA sign. Its same with SP-Keuchel is still on market which is delaying everything else. Teams interested in Straily but as like Option 3. Teams interested in Kluber but no one wants to trade Top Prospects if they can just sign Keuchel

Fine with trading him NOW if get what they want which they thought were getting with India/Greene/Barnhart but NO teams are giving us exactly what we want yet

- - - - - - - - - -

Before anyone says just take India/Greene/Barnhart ask yourself this. Would u buy a used car that u couldn't drive for 15 months and when u get it back will it be the same? Especially when u have bought a similiar car before and its sitting behind Roger Dean rotting(Tyler Kolek)
                                Last edited by tjfla; 02-05-2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X