Clear All

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    Please no Machado.
    Miami is #4 choice(8/1) on Vegas odds for Machado

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Miami is #4 choice(8/1) on Vegas odds for Machado
      800-1 seems more realistic.

Miami does need a SS, and Lux of the Dodgers is a rapid riser that is blocked in LA if Seager is going to be healthy. Ruiz could fill Miami's catching need but is a long way from producing like JT - and the Dodgers are all in right now. It's just my opinion, but Lux, Ruiz and maybe LHP Ferguson seem like a great fit for Miami. Anyone see a better deal for JT?

Comment

• Machado is obviously a great player but i dont think getting him is the right move. I would obviously not mind it, but i think you wait till next year to add a free agent like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Machado is obviously a great player but i dont think getting him is the right move. I would obviously not mind it, but i think you wait till next year to add a free agent like that.
          I think I said it on the other board.....he'd be a Jayson Werth type signing - one you do before you're ready to show things are different.

---

Next year Goldschmidt, Arenado, and Bumgarner are probably the biggest free agents. Everyone will be in on those guys, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Machado is obviously a great player but i dont think getting him is the right move. I would obviously not mind it, but i think you wait till next year to add a free agent like that.
            If he takes a 7/225 deal why wait till next year? U need a SS and have cash in the budget starting in 2020 plus don't have to lose any draft picks

Yes we will still be bad in 2019 but Machado would be here to build around

Still a longshot but if he starts getting 200-225 million offers ONLY don't be surprised to see Miami jump in on him

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            800-1 seems more realistic.

Miami does need a SS, and Lux of the Dodgers is a rapid riser that is blocked in LA if Seager is going to be healthy. Ruiz could fill Miami's catching need but is a long way from producing like JT - and the Dodgers are all in right now. It's just my opinion, but Lux, Ruiz and maybe LHP Ferguson seem like a great fit for Miami. Anyone see a better deal for JT?
            LAD aren't in on JT yet. Like said if LAD offers Lux,Ruiz and more(Verdugo? or top prospect) OR Washington offers Robles AND Kieboom Brothers then they will move to the TOP of the JT list. At this point Top teams are Ariz/Hou/Col/NYY

U are correct tho that LAD or Wash can offer the BEST deal for JT. Question is will they??
            Last edited by tjfla; 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              If he takes a 7/225 deal why wait till next year? U need a SS and have cash in the budget starting in 2020 plus don't have to lose any draft picks

Yes we will still be bad in 2019 but Machado would be here to build around

Still a longshot but if he starts getting 200-225 million offers ONLY don't be surprised to see Miami jump in on him

- - - - - - - - - -

LAD aren't in on JT yet. Like said if LAD offers Lux,Ruiz and more(Verdugo? or top prospect) OR Washington offers Robles AND Kieboom Brothers then they will move to the TOP of the JT list. At this point Top teams are Ariz/Hou/Col/NYY

U are correct tho that LAD or Wash can offer the BEST deal for JT. Question is will they??
              Yes and no. No from Wash; they need Robles in all likliehood. Given their C play in the playoffs, I can't see LA NOT stepping up for JT, although I suppose they have other options.

Comment

• I would love to see them make a play for Machado. He's the type of guy (All Star, loves Miami, etc.) that can be the face of the franchise in a way that Stanton was never going to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                  I would love to see them make a play for Machado. He's the type of guy (All Star, loves Miami, etc.) that can be the face of the franchise in a way that Stanton was never going to be.
                  I don't get what this means.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    I don't get what this means.
                    I think he means that Machado would embrace being the "Miami" guy - all things Miami, etc. since he's from here. Whereas Stanton was from the west coast, so while yes, he was the face of the franchise, he may have not had the same connection and/or same draw to the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      I think he means that Machado would embrace being the "Miami" guy - all things Miami, etc. since he's from here. Whereas Stanton was from the west coast, so while yes, he was the face of the franchise, he may have not had the same connection and/or same draw to the market.
                      That is exactly what I meant. Also, I just don't think being the public face of a franchise fits his personality.

Comment

• If he took $200M, you're still saving 70-85 (figure varies because of 2028 $15M option/10M buyout) over Stanton's contract. Though I guess in theory those savings would be $30M less, as if Stanton opts in after 2020 (to properly compare contracts), we're paying $30M of it after 2020.

Comment

• The Red Sox just won the World Series with arguably one of the greatest teams in the history of the MLB. Who is the face of that team?

Comment

The Red Sox just won the World Series with arguably one of the greatest teams in the history of the MLB. Who is the face of that team?
                            I get that it's a vague term, but I think that in this market, given the history of the franchise, you need a star to draw fans back. The Red Sox have won 4 World Series since 2004 and sell out every game. That situation is obviously very different. The franchise is the star. That isn't the case here.

I'm not saying that they NEED to sign Machado...just that if they did, he's the type of player that could help bring fans back because he is a local guy that loves the area.

Comment

• I mean we're not going to get a better "Face of the Franchise" than Jose. Only thing that's going to fix the things that ail this franchise is winning.

Comment

I mean we're not going to get a better "Face of the Franchise" than Jose. Only thing that's going to fix the things that ail this franchise is winning.
                                Agreed...but Jose was also here with Loria and there was always a sense that Jose was going to be traded eventually since that is how that ownership group operated.

My point is that if you are going to go out and sign someone, Machado, an established star player from Miami, is a pretty perfect fit. Given the new ownership and a need for the team to build back fans' trust, bringing in a star that represents a new era of Marlins baseball that people recognize (and you can put on billboards all over the city to show that things are different now) isn't a bad way to go.
                                Last edited by fauowls44; 10-30-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X