This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Id guess AA. Almost no shot he goes straight to the bigs unless he plays like a prodigy in spring.
    I mean with the attention and money we've paid to him to get him here, shouldn't he kinda play like a prodigy?

Comment

Id guess AA. Almost no shot he goes straight to the bigs unless he plays like a prodigy in spring.
      We saw how that worked out with Brinson...

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        So is there a consensus on where Victor^2 will start the year? AAA? Straight to the bigs?
        Jax all year unless he looks great then AFL

If he is hitting .320/20/75 in Jax then probably finishes year in NOLA

2020 Starting ML LF

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          I mean with the attention and money we've paid to him to get him here, shouldn't he kinda play like a prodigy?
          Not necessarily. Top IFA guys dont always succeed and especially not right away. We paid him a lot in terms of IFA money but its not like we signed a huge major league free agent who is expected to succeed and succeed right away. Hopefully he succeeds and he's a great prospect but that doesnt really guarantee anything and especially not right away.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          We saw how that worked out with Brinson...
          Ya, hopefully they dont make the same stupid mistake twice but Mesa is also a different situation than brinson. I still cant believe they were foolish enough to look at his spring numbers and not realize how blatantly obvious it was that he was going to have plate discipline issues at the ML level last year.
          Last edited by fish16; 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            2020 Starting ML LF
            Called up 21 league days into the season*

Comment

Not necessarily. Top IFA guys dont always succeed. We paid him a lot in terms of IFA money but its not like we signed a huge major league free agent who is expected to succeed and succeed right away. .

No. The VV signing is huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                Again, this is simply not the case. Baseball America had him as the top IFA all along.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...nal-prospects/

I also remember reading about teams saving money for Mesa months before he was declared a FA. So while he is certainly not Ohtani, it is incorrect to say that he was merely the best of the unsigned players.
                Fair enough. The rankings I saw didn't rank him until he was about to hit the market, and specifically said he was the best of the remaining bunch, but it doesn't really change the fact that he was the top of an underwhelming group. I hope he exceeds expectations, but the scouting reports seem to suggest that his reasonable upside is an above average player, but not a real building block player.

Comment

• BA compared him to Victor Robles. Fangraphs compared him to Albert Almora. I think Almora is much more likely. Even still -- to get a solid everyday OF who's a 1-2 WAR player for less than $5M isn't something that happens anymore in the free agent market. Considering his age, then the potential upside in his game, and THEN the fact that they'll market the hell out of him, that's absolutely fine by me.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    No. The VV signing is huge.
                    it is huge. for many more reasons aside from just him being extremely talented and adding the #1 IFA to the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      BA compared him to Victor Robles. Fangraphs compared him to Albert Almora. I think Almora is much more likely. Even still -- to get a solid everyday OF who's a 1-2 WAR player for less than $5M isn't something that happens anymore in the free agent market. Considering his age, then the potential upside in his game, and THEN the fact that they'll market the hell out of him, that's absolutely fine by me.
                      Could be either. Floor is probably Almora but this year will tell alot about what VV is

5 million is well worth it for the lotto ticket however

Comment

• Anyone know where to see the press conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          Anyone know where to see the press conference?
                          The Marlins tweeted that the press conference will be streamed.

Comment

• Yeah, I saw that after I asked.

https://twitter.com/Marlins

---

I wonder if we'll be in on any Japanese or Korean players too? Obviously, they won't have the (hypothetical) draw a Cuban player would have, but talent is talent. There are a few guys that may be posted this offseason, just curious if we'll go after any of these guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              Yeah, I saw that after I asked.

https://twitter.com/Marlins

---

I wonder if we'll be in on any Japanese or Korean players too? Obviously, they won't have the (hypothetical) draw a Cuban player would have, but talent is talent. There are a few guys that may be posted this offseason, just curious if we'll go after any of these guys.
                              Doubtful. Only have like 300K left. More likely could see us sign Lionard Kindelan. Lazaro Alonso type(21/22) Cuban 1B. Non Prospect but worth a flier

Gaston wants 2 mil+ which means we are done. He wants MORE than we can get so either Baltimore or TB for him

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Doubtful. Only have like 300K left. More likely could see us sign Lionard Kindelan. Lazaro Alonso type(21/22) Cuban 1B. Non Prospect but worth a flier

Gaston wants 2 mil+ which means we are done. He wants MORE than we can get so either Baltimore or TB for him
                                Sorry, I was referring to posted guys, not affected by international spending.

Comment

Working...
                                X