Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, random thought - but is the logo/heading at the top of the site going to be changed to reflect the new look or are we sticking with the one we've got (with the orange)?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      I mean, their farm system is better than our ML team. Not much more needs to be said
      I know you don't like the thought of it, neither do I, but I think it's unequivocally true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        I know you don't like the thought of it, neither do I, but I think it's unequivocally true.
        .....it's not though.

Comment

Ok...

Comment

Ok...
            Okay. Could you trade Brinson for Jesus Sanchez? No way. Mags Sierra for Josh Lowe or Nick Schnell? No. Austin Dean for Nick Solak? Never. Jt Riddle and Miguel Rojas for Wander Franco and Lucius Fox? Obviously not. Starlin Castro for Vidal Brujan? In your dreams. Peter O'Brien for Nathaniel Lowe? Never. Brian Anderson for Brandon Lowe? That one's close. Chen, Straily, Urena, Richards, Lopez for McCay, Honeywell, Liberatore, McClanahan, and Baz? Not likely. That leaves catcher Jt Realmuto ... who could fetch a few of those Rays in a trade, incl. Hernandez the catcher, who played A ball last year and hit 21 HR and had an .832 OPS, better numbers than Realmuto ever achieved in the minors.
            Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Here's a head scratcher. Yankees sign DJ LeMahieu for 2 years and $24M. He's older (by 2 years) than Castro, had a less productive season than Castro (despite hitting in Colorado), and can't supply innings at SS. Wouldn't the Marlins have even paid a few million of Castro's salary just to get Yanks to take him?

Comment

Okay. Could you trade Brinson for Jesus Sanchez? No way. Mags Sierra for Josh Lowe or Nick Schnell? No. Austin Dean for Nick Solak? Never. Jt Riddle and Miguel Rojas for Wander Franco and Lucius Fox? Obviously not. Starlin Castro for Vidal Brujan? In your dreams. Peter O'Brien for Nathaniel Lowe? Never. Brian Anderson for Brandon Lowe? That one's close. Chen, Straily, Urena, Richards, Lopez for McCay, Honeywell, Liberatore, McClanahan, and Baz? Not likely. That leaves catcher Jt Realmuto ... who could fetch a few of those Rays in a trade, incl. Hernandez the catcher, who played A ball last year and hit 21 HR and had an .832 OPS, better numbers than Realmuto ever achieved in the minors.
                Value and being a better player are two very different things. The Marlins wouldn't trade Connor Scott for Brett Gardner, but Gardner is clearly the better player currently.

Comment

Here's a head scratcher. Yankees sign DJ LeMahieu for 2 years and $24M. He's older (by 2 years) than Castro, had a less productive season than Castro (despite hitting in Colorado), and can't supply innings at SS. Wouldn't the Marlins have even paid a few million of Castro's salary just to get Yanks to take him?
                  And Castro supplies innings at SS? He has played SS for 20 innings since 2016. All in 2016.

DJ is good and isn't costing them say, a E. Cabrera, Yamamoto, or Gallen level prospect. Nothing to see here.

Also, I still maintain the Marlins should sign Castro for 4/$50 and wipe out his current contract. Shift Diaz to 3B and Anderson to RF/1B depending on how things shake out with Brinson and Monte.

- - - - - - - - - -

That really opens them up to take Ruiz/Smith, May, Lux, and whatever else from LAD. You can see positionally what's going on there.

Comment

Also, random thought - but is the logo/heading at the top of the site going to be changed to reflect the new look or are we sticking with the one we've got (with the orange)?
                    If you change the theme to SFM 1.0 (scroll all the way down, drop down box on the left) it's similar to the new color scheme.

If there's support for a brand new theme we could probably do this as well.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Castro was a mutliple All Star at SS. As I understand it, he was displaced at SS by Russell in Chicago and Gregorious in NY because they were elite defenders. Castro had limited range, similar to Derek Jeter, but had all the rest of the skills.

That would be exactly the package I would prefer to get from the Dodgers, even substituting lefty Caleb Ferguson for May, but it just doesn't feel like it's coming.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                      Value and being a better player are two very different things. The Marlins wouldn't trade Connor Scott for Brett Gardner, but Gardner is clearly the better player currently.
                      That's true. However, if you performed the same exercise with the Marlins' top 30 prospects vs. their 25-man roster, the results would be very different.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                      Just posed the question to Jeff Sullivan in his fangraphs forum.

Me: 10:28 Do the Rays field a better team with their top 30 prospects than the Marlins do with their 25-man roster? Sure seems that way.

Jeff Sullivan: 10:28 Not out of the question!
                      Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• It's completely out of the question. It's like saying Clemson today would beat any NFL team. They would get crushed. The Marlins 25 man roster pitchers would dominate.

Comment

• Dodgers just got Russell Martin. Market continues to shrink.
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            Dodgers just got Russell Martin. Market continues to shrink.
                            Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
                            Following Following @Ken_Rosenthal
                            More
                            There is not a chance the 2019 version of Russell Martin would preclude the #Dodgers from continuing to pursue J.T. Realmuto.

11:22 AM - 11 Jan 2019

Also, Frisaro mentioned that Martin could allow the Dodgers to include Barnes in a Realmuto trade.

Comment

• They really like Barnes, from what I understand. He's also an excellent pitch framer (one of the best) and I imagine they appreciate that stuff more than we do.

Also from Ken's twitter:

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 50s50 seconds agoMore

Ken Rosenthal Retweeted Ken Rosenthal
                              On second thought, Martin can back up Barnes and #Dodgers, if they choose, can simply stop dealing with #Marlins. LAD excited about work Barnes is doing with their hitting coaches, think he can get back to 2017 production. They also have two top catching prospects getting closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                They really like Barnes, from what I understand. He's also an excellent pitch framer (one of the best) and I imagine they appreciate that stuff more than we do.

Also from Ken's twitter:

[FONT="]Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 50s50 seconds agoMore

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Ken Rosenthal Retweeted Ken Rosenthal[/FONT]
                                [FONT="]On second thought, Martin can back up Barnes and #Dodgers, if they choose, can simply stop dealing with #Marlins. LAD excited about work Barnes is doing with their hitting coaches, think he can get back to 2017 production. They also have two top catching prospects getting closer.
                                [/FONT]
                                Yeah, just saw that. Ken's Dodgers source probably texted him that he was hurting their leverage.

Comment

Working...
                                X