Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Appropriate Amount of Time for Marlins Fans to Vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    You give players way too much credit.
    Do you really expect any player to actually look at a contract from this ownership group that is not worth significantly more than a contract from another club?

Comment

For all the talk about how terrible this was and everything...if you look at it in a vacuum, it's pretty amazing.

We paid 16 million dollars for Buehlre and Reyes.

In return, we got a 5 WAR combined followed by a bounty of prospects.

For a 16 million investment, we got a great pay off and now have more money to invest somewhere else...

...except we won't, which is the real problem with the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
        Do you really expect any player to actually look at a contract from this ownership group that is not worth significantly more than a contract from another club?
        well the Marlins have always had to overpay, so this is nothing new

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
          For all the talk about how terrible this was and everything...if you look at it in a vacuum, it's pretty amazing.

We paid 16 million dollars for Buehlre and Reyes.

In return, we got a 5 WAR combined followed by a bounty of prospects.

For a 16 million investment, we got a great pay off and now have more money to invest somewhere else...

...except we won't, which is the real problem with the trade.
          I'm told that there was no bounty and that the return was horrible.

Comment

It was mostly shitty.

Comment

By bounty I did not mean good, but plentiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                It was mostly shitty.
                YOU DON'T KNOW!

Comment

And in terms of the investment, we already got a high reward on our investment (5 WAR for 16 million) and then got addition on top of that. I'm not high on any single one of those players (especially that SS who is now going to be our starting SS...sigh) but it IS an addition to an investment that was already prosperous.
                  --------------------
                  And in terms of the return, I think it is fine for those two. It's JJ I'm disappointed in. But we got out of backloaded contracts. No one was willing to pay more for those players than we were a year ago, which is why they signed here. And yet a year later, the Blue Jays are now taking on WORSE contracts than we signed them too a year ago (Due to back loaded/raise in age of players) and have to give up players in return to get them.

It's not just about how good the player is but the value of what he's paid compared to production. If you're competing, that matters less and the value of just a win is a lot more important than how valuable than win came. If you're not competing, the value you get from paid production is a lot more important.

We probably were not going to be competitors next year (Especially with drop in payroll), so getting rid of neutral-to-negative value contracts is a very good thing.

It's the reinvestment part that sucks
                  Last edited by nny; 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                    YOU DON'T KNOW!
                    Of course not, but you have a pretty good idea.

Adeiny hasn't been able to hit anywhere. Marisnick has struggled a lot, and doesn't really walk a great deal or hit for much power. Henderson Alvarez is Chris Volstad. Nicolino has good numbers, maybe he's good.

Maybe these guys will all dramatically improve but probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      Adeiny hasn't been able to hit anywhere.
                      I can't believe he's going to be our starting SS, lol.

Good case scenerio is that he's a ~75 OPS+ cat with good defense. Someone like Clint Barmes/Brendan Ryan/Jack Wilson. Which isn't bad and, sure, is starting SS in the majors.

But he has no ceiling on top of that but has a huge floor to fall under. No ceiling and big floor is, like, the exact opposite you want

Yunel Escobar is awesome value though, also. I really hope we don't trade him.

Comment

I think, if you evaluate it as a baseball move, the appropriate time has passed. It is what it is, move on, the current FO has a pretty long history of failure so just anticipate ineptitude moving forward.

If you want to be angry about this for the other issues it raises (and there are several) then I think you can be as angry as you want for as long as you want. Sports are meant to provide escapism and civic pride. Loria et al seem rather indifferent to their role in the community and look at it simply as a business. That's fine, but as a "fan" of the team, this kind of move (juxtaposed with their history) really creates so much distrust that no amount of time for anger is inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          I'd rather watch shit I haven't seen than shit I have seen
                          True. Reyes and Buehrle were very shitty.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          They could still reinvest and maybe win 90 in a hypothetical scenario. Thus, the problem is not the trade, itself, but rather that they're not reinvesting.

If they don't make the trade, there's less to reinvest and we're just stuck with a bunch of bad contracts.

OR they just trade JJ/Buck/Bonifacio and don't blow everything up in year two
                          Last edited by Namaste; 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The team sucked, stop being a baby. Buehrle was only cool because he works quickly. He's not fun to watch, though.

Reyes is good. I know what he is, I won't cry over not having him as part of a shitty team. If they're going to be shit, I'd rather watch different shit.

and then the shit after that and after that and so on.

Comment

IM A BABY!!!!!!
                              --------------------
                              When in doubt, CALL THE OTHER GUY A BABY

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                              Last edited by Namaste; 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Fine, that's going to become a thing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X