No announcement yet.

Marlins Fire Fredi Gonzalez, Jim Presley, Carlos Tosca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to ask what the difference is between our bullpen this year, which is the worst ever, and our bullpen last year which people said was the worst ever at the time but which was actually pretty good.
    poop

Comment

• Yeah, I mean, we'd be totally fucked without Nate's near 5 ERA.

Comment

• Well.

It looks like Ricky needs to get sent down. Andrew Miller sucks. Ryan Tucker is a douche. Rick Vanden Hurk can't pitch as a starter. Sean West has been phenomenal, but he also only has 4 starts.

So yeah, he's pretty useful right now.

Also, you would round down with 4.44. That's not really "near 5".
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          Yeah, I mean, we'd be totally fucked without Nate's near 5 ERA.
          I love how you round up ridiculously and neglect to mention that had we not had Nate, we would have someone like Miller in the fifth spot.

Comment

• Say what you want about nate Robertson, but he's saving us from the John Koronka, Graham Taylors, and the rest of those assholes of the world.
            poop

Comment

• And he has actually been better than Ricky Nolasco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                Everyone is shitting all over this organization for not going out and getting bullpen help, but my question is, what the heck did you want them to do? It's not their fault that Calero's arm fell off and that there just are never many good relievers on the open market.

Bullpens are a crapshoot. Up until this season, the Marlins have consistently managed to scrap together good 'pens by finding relatively obscure players (Gardner, Nelson, Waechter, Calero [although he was a pretty fine reliever in the past], Meyer, etc.). It didn't work for them this time around, and you can't really kill them for that because a ton of teams in Major League Baseball bank on that type of thing.

The bullpen is the one major problem with this team. The starting pitching has been very good (it's funny how the same people who blast the organization for putting together bad relief pitching aren't giving them any credit for the Robertson acquisition), and the lineup, save a couple of bad slumps from a couple of players, has been pretty solid.

That's why I don't think you can really kill the front office here.
                The front office's belief that you can just throw a bunch of shit against the wall and see what sticks is absolute bullshit. Be a real team and sign some real arms so it's not a crapshoot every season. Just because these assholes were pretty good out of the pen last year does not mean they would this year. Like you said, bullpens are a crap shoot unless you actually spend some money.

Why on earth does the front office deserve any credit for the Robertson addition? He's crap. There's a reason why the Tigers were willing to cover pretty much his entire salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                  The front office's belief that you can just throw a bunch of shit against the wall and see what sticks is absolute bullshit. Be a real team and sign some real arms so it's not a crapshoot every season. Just because these assholes were pretty good out of the pen last year does not mean they would this year. Like you said, bullpens are a crap shoot unless you actually spend some money.

Why on earth does the front office deserve any credit for the Robertson addition? He's crap. There's a reason why the Tigers were willing to cover pretty much his entire salary.
                  Who should we have gotten?
                  poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                    And he has actually been better than Ricky Nolasco.
                    Doesn't make the move any better

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      Doesn't make the move any better
                      How in the world was trading for Robertson a bad move (if that's what you're implying)?
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by Ramp View Post

What "real arms"? Who was out there?

And Robertson has been outstanding as our fifth starter. I don't know what the heck you expect.
                      Last edited by Valid; 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Who should we have gotten?
                        The hell should I know? Why were we heading into the regular season not having a clue who our #5 pitcher should be?
                        --------------------
                        Trading for Robertson was a bad move because he is not very good.
                        --------------------
                        Not suggesting we gave up anyone to get him, just saying he isn't adding much to this team.
                        Last edited by Ramp; 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Oh. So a 4.44 ERA out of the fifth starter spot is inadequate? I guess you expect number five starters to put up Josh Johnson numbers? You're being ridiculous.

Comment

• Yea, his ERA is 4.44 right now. His other numbers aren't that good either. He is not a good pitcher. I do not care for him, even as a #5 pitcher. Why should I accept that the team I root for was literally not prepared going into the regular season.

Great, he's had a decent first 3 months. If this team wants to be a playoff team, he shouldn't be on this roster. This is more against the front office than Nate mind you. I'm sure he's a great clubhouse guy and loves hijinks.
                            --------------------
                            Also, I am very ridiculous. I think everyone knows that about me. I'm certifiably insane even.
                            Last edited by Ramp; 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              Well.

It looks like Ricky needs to get sent down. Andrew Miller sucks. Ryan Tucker is a douche. Rick Vanden Hurk can't pitch as a starter. Sean West has been phenomenal, but he also only has 4 starts.

So yeah, he's pretty useful right now.

Also, you would round down with 4.44. That's not really "near 5".
                              I am a giant fucking asshole. I used his career ERA of 4.89. Whoops.

I agree to an extent but unless the pen starts getting outs, we're not going any where. I'd rather see if The Hurk could build on his innings from last year. Same with West.

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                              I love how you round up ridiculously and neglect to mention that had we not had Nate, we would have someone like Miller in the fifth spot.
                              My bad. See above.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                I am a giant fucking asshole. I used his career ERA of 4.89. Whoops.

I agree to an extent but unless the pen starts getting outs, we're not going any where. I'd rather see if The Hurk could build on his innings from last year. Same with West.
                                I still love you.

The thing with getting Robertson is it gave you depth for nothing. We gave up nothing for him, and are paying nothing for him. So having him means you can use a guy like RVH in the pen if you want, rather than have to try to squeeze something out of him as a starter.

I'd like that.

And if West kicks the door down, you figure it out and get him in the rotation somehow. Robertson gave us one more option, and with everything else we've had happen, he's been a pretty valuable option.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X