Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Fire Fredi Gonzalez, Jim Presley, Carlos Tosca

STATEMENT BY MARLINS OWNER JEFFREY LORIA
    It is never easy to make a change in managers. Fredi has been with our Club for four years. We have become close, and I am extremely fond of Fredi. I, along with all our fans, am grateful for Fredi’s contributions. At the same time, we can’t let personal feelings get in the way of taking steps that we believe are necessary to improve our ballclub.

Decisions on individual personnel cannot supercede our overall goal, which is to win. We believe we can do better and be better. We owe it to our fans to put this team in the best possible position to win. Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s the reason we’re making this change.

We still have a very long season in front of us, and plenty of time to turn things around. Everyone – our fans, our team, our organization, and myself – wants us to win. That continues to be, and will always be, the goal.

The Florida Marlins today announced they have dismissed manager Fredi Gonzalez, bench coach Carlos Tosca and hitting coach Jim Presley and named Edwin Rodriguez interim manager, Brandon Hyde interim bench coach and John Mallee interim hitting coach. The announcement was made by President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest.

Rodriguez, in his eighth season in the Marlins organization, has spent the past year-and-a-half as manager for Triple-A New Orleans. He previously spent two years as manager of Single-A Greensboro (2007-08) and two seasons as manager of the GCL Marlins (2005-06). He served the 2003 and 2004 seasons as hitting coach for the Double-A Carolina Mudcats. Prior to joining the Marlins, Rodriguez was in the Tampa Bay organization, where he managed the rookie-league Princeton Devil Rays for three seasons (2000-02) and the low-A Hudson Valley Renegades (1999). Rodriguez played parts of three seasons with the Yankees and Padres from 1982-1985.

Hyde was in his first season as Marlins minor league infield coordinator after six years managing in the Marlins minor league system, including skippering the 2009 Jacksonville Suns to the Southern League championship. He also spent two years as hitting coach for Single-A Greensboro.
    Mallee is in his ninth season with the Marlins, all spent as minor league hitting coordinator. Prior to joining the Marlins he served as hitting coach in 2001 with Triple-A Ottawa in the Montreal organization.
    The Marlins are currently 34-36, 7.5 games out of first place in the National League East. Gonzalez compiled a 276-279 record in three-plus seasons with the Marlins. Gonzalez and Tosca joined the Marlins in 2007, while Presley became the club’s hitting coach in 2006.
    Press Release
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

season officially starts tonight!!
    --------------------
    I had a love/hate thing with Fredi but this season was all hate. Bring on Bobby V.
    Last edited by Ralph; 06-23-2010, 09:15 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

STATEMENT BY MARLINS OWNER JEFFREY LORIA
      It is never easy to make a change in managers. Fredi has been with our Club for four years. We have become close, and I am extremely fond of Fredi. I, along with all our fans, am grateful for Fredi’s contributions. At the same time, we can’t let personal feelings get in the way of taking steps that we believe are necessary to improve our ballclub.

Decisions on individual personnel cannot supercede our overall goal, which is to win. We believe we can do better and be better. We owe it to our fans to put this team in the best possible position to win. Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s the reason we’re making this change.

We still have a very long season in front of us, and plenty of time to turn things around. Everyone – our fans, our team, our organization, and myself – wants us to win. That continues to be, and will always be, the goal.

The Florida Marlins today announced they have dismissed manager Fredi Gonzalez, bench coach Carlos Tosca and hitting coach Jim Presley and named Edwin Rodriguez interim manager, Brandon Hyde interim bench coach and John Mallee interim hitting coach. The announcement was made by President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest.

Rodriguez, in his eighth season in the Marlins organization, has spent the past year-and-a-half as manager for Triple-A New Orleans. He previously spent two years as manager of Single-A Greensboro (2007-08) and two seasons as manager of the GCL Marlins (2005-06). He served the 2003 and 2004 seasons as hitting coach for the Double-A Carolina Mudcats. Prior to joining the Marlins, Rodriguez was in the Tampa Bay organization, where he managed the rookie-league Princeton Devil Rays for three seasons (2000-02) and the low-A Hudson Valley Renegades (1999). Rodriguez played parts of three seasons with the Yankees and Padres from 1982-1985.

Hyde was in his first season as Marlins minor league infield coordinator after six years managing in the Marlins minor league system, including skippering the 2009 Jacksonville Suns to the Southern League championship. He also spent two years as hitting coach for Single-A Greensboro.
      Mallee is in his ninth season with the Marlins, all spent as minor league hitting coordinator. Prior to joining the Marlins he served as hitting coach in 2001 with Triple-A Ottawa in the Montreal organization.
      The Marlins are currently 34-36, 7.5 games out of first place in the National League East. Gonzalez compiled a 276-279 record in three-plus seasons with the Marlins. Gonzalez and Tosca joined the Marlins in 2007, while Presley became the club’s hitting coach in 2006.
      Press Release

Comment

Holy fuck.
        poop

Comment

And so it begins.

I'm a wee bit surprised by this, but whatever.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Holy shittttt

Comment

I'm surprised there's been no rumbling about it.

Oh well. Lot's of people gon be happy until it has no tangible impact.
              poop

Comment

Loria's comments infuriate me, especially considering the state of our bullpen.

Comment

Probably a good move. Unquestionably bad timing.

Comment

Interesting that the interim is the AAA manager.

Comment

Holy shit!

I don't know what else to say.

Comment

Very surprised.

Comment

They're delusional.

Comment

I always am amused when a guy is fired after a win

Comment

Not only that, a series win over a team who was leading the toughest division in baseball.

Not that I think Fredi was anything great as a manager, but the FO put him in a position to fail at every turn. They're the ones at fault here not him. After Girardi and now this, it seems like they have no idea how to treat people, and it really is sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X