No announcement yet.

Marlins Fire Fredi Gonzalez, Jim Presley, Carlos Tosca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edwin Rodriguez is gonna lead us to win 16 games in a row. And then he will be replaced.

Comment

The Florida Marlins were smart to announce the abrupt firing of manager Fredi Gonzalez while the team was on the road, and right in the middle of Wednesday's crucial U.S. World Cup soccer match. See, when you do something really dumb, you want it to attract as little attention as possible.

Aside to the next Marlins manager: Keep your résumé updated and rent a place down here, don't buy. Because what you are getting in your next boss is that deadly combination of a club owner who doesn't want to spend a lot of money but who gets really impatient if you don't quickly make magic of his cheapness.

I thought Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria had a smart comment within his prepared statement explaining the managerial change. I'm sure he meant it as a thumbs-up to Marlins fans to keep the faith moving forward, but for me it worked much better as a verification that firing Gonzalez, now, was flat-out wrong or premature at the very least:

``We still have a long season in front of us,'' Loria told his aide to type into a news release, ``and plenty of time to turn things around.''

You have to wonder why that ``plenty of time to turn things around'' part didn't translate into more time for Gonzalez.

He had earned that time, that benefit of doubt.

Then again, this is the same owner who fired his previous manager, Joe Girardi, as he was winning NL manager of the year honors. Just before he went on to be hired by the New York Yankees and win a World Series.

I believe the clarity of retrospect indicates that was a change that was dubious at best. And this one would seem to fall into the same category.

Girardi hit the lottery going from the coupon-clipping Marlins to generous Yanks. Gonzalez in turn inherited being hamstrung by a bare-bones player payroll from a notoriously under-spending regime -- an ownership so cheap that MLB and its player union finally admonished Florida publicly and all but forced Loria to open the wallet.

Despite the financial constraints Gonzalez had winning records each of the past two seasons, earning national respect, attracting manager-of-the-year votes both years.

This season, less than half done, the Marlins were 34-36 entering Wednesday's game, after winning three of the past four, and still with a viable shot to work up into playoff contention.

``Plenty of time to turn things around,'' as the owner himself said.

And yet the guillotine came down.

Is Loria that hell-bent to recycle his pal Bobby Valentine? Really?

This firing wouldn't feel quite so unjust if it didn't feel -- and this is worse than premature -- preordained.

Loria and his son-in-law, team president David Samson, separately announced this spring they expected this to be a playoff team.

They were both due a Breathalyzer at that point. They were pretty much alone in that view.

Bear in mind, these two met in New York to ponder firing Gonzalez after last season even though the Marlins were nationally regarded as having overachieved.

They were setting up Gonzalez to fail, given the fact the team was not bolstered by any significant offseason spending, let alone any additions to a woeful bullpen.

The impression was left that this ownership was looking for a reason to fire Gonzalez, and that a handy excuse might have come this past Saturday, when a batting-order mix-up was attributable to Gonzalez amid the distracting din of 15,000 air horns from an embarrassingly ill-fated club promotion.

Hey, don't feel bad for the Marlins' latest deposed manager, though. Like Girardi, Gonzalez will turn up someplace better, Atlanta, perhaps.

Come to think of it, most anyplace else would be better than here for a manager, in terms of spending and expectations finding some reasonable medium.
      Firing of Fredi Gonzalez is latest puzzling move by Florida Marlins brass

Comment

Yeah, but Greg Cote hates puppies.

Comment

While I can't think of a time where Cote has written anything positive, he is dead on in everything he said in this. What he said is also representative of what most of the comments from fans that I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
            won 3 of 4, makes sense to do it now
            They're firing a manager who was given a below average team and told to make it end in a pile. Why should the timing of the firing make sense?

This is a great way for the FO to say, "LOOK IT'S NOT BECAUSE OUR BULLPEN SUCKS FAT DONKEY COCK AND WE GOT MAYBIN/MILLER FOR CABRERA THAT WE SUCK, WE SUCK BECAUSE OUR MANAGER AND HIS CREW SUCK!!!!1111"

smoke and mirrors

Comment

I wish Fredi nothing but the best.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Originally posted by KJC View Post
                I wish Fredi nothing but the best.
                You'll be able to say that to him in person when we play him 19 times next year, and every year after that.

Comment

Kage, you gon go to all 19 games against Braves next year?

Comment

Samson currently on 790
                    --------------------
                    Dan - Percentage Valentine next manager

Samson - I'm open to it, we have 3 external and 2 internal candidates. I will make a recommendation to Jeffrey after we talk with all of them
                    Last edited by lou; 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yes, I love the Braves.

I also have full access to talk to opposing managers as long as I wish them the best and nothing more.

Beefy, who would you like to be the new managertron?
                      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        Beinfest was just on 790.

-Top 5 worst days as a GM
                        -I wouldn't say the Cabrera trade is a total loss, give Maybin and Miller some time
                        -This wasn't pre meditative (concerning a Valentine question), people don't know the whole story behind closed doors
                        -I knew I had to make a move after the Texas Sweep
                        -We have to win, no matter what the payroll is. Loria certainly wants to win, it's why he is in the game
                        So:

Hanley won the battle with Fredi. Outstanding.

Comment

• Stu - I'll tell you what percentage that is David, 100%

lol

---

Samson - time for our run, it's our turn

---

Dan - 16 blown leads by pen, fair to say difference is entirely the bullpen

Samson - does not answer the question, "we have lots of problems blah blah"

Comment

• Kage, it don't really matter. People will hate him and he will only make mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                              Kage, it don't really matter. People will hate him and he will only make mistakes.
                              I will wish him well once he gets fired.
                              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• I'm with you

Comment

Working...
                                X