No announcement yet.

Cameron Maybin 2010: He Gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly helps that Cody's been turrible lately.

Comment

That's because he is white.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I'm white Fritz. Am I terrible?

Comment

Tim Tebow is terrible too then!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            I'm white Fritz. Am I terrible?
            You're a Mainge, you're a different race.

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            Tim Tebow is terrible too then!
            He's Asian. He was born in the Phillippines. He Filipino, he play joke, he put peepee in your Coke.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

And Jacory Harris!

Fuck.

Comment

He put pee pee in Jacory Harris?

Comment

he's 1/2 with a sb so far

Comment

Also, posted this at that other place, I think Maybin should be our #9 hitter when he comes back until he proves otherwise. Fuck putting his speed at #8, and fuck putting his OBP #1/#2:

IMO when Maybin is inserted back in the line up, he should hit 9th.

For one, we already have a capable lead off hitter (Coghlan) that puts up a good OBP and has decent speed

For two, we have three #2 hitters (Gaby, Logan, and Baker). The less of these in the middle of the order, where power is important to drive in runs and instead have their high OBP in front of our SLG guys, the better.

For three, Maybin has yet to show the ability to put up a good OBP, which is the most important thing for lead off. His career OBP is just .311, and as of now, we probably should still expect around a .700 OPS next season until he proves otherwise.

So why 9 instead of 8?

Because his speed is still an incredible asset. Now these are theoretica" runs, so obviously can't be taken 100%, but it's still better than nothing. Going by Baseball Prospectus' EQBRR, which assigns runs to:

-SB, CS, and Pick offs
                    -Advancing bases on ground balls/bunts
                    -Advancing bases on fly balls
                    -Advancing bases on hits
                    -Advancing bases on passed balls and wild pitches

(So i.e. the ability to go from first to third on a single, this is where you get credit for it)

In his career, he's at 6.4 runs in about 75% of a seasons worth of base running opportunities. This puts him at around 9 runs in a full season, or about one win alone with his legs. I really don't like having him hit 8th with the pitcher up next who'll just bunt him over. He needs to be in front of guys where he's speed can then be best utilized. I'd much prefer to see something along the lines of

Coghlan
                    Gaby
                    Hanley
                    Uggla
                    Stanton
                    Logan
                    Baker
                    Pitcher
                    Maybin

Fredi talked about hitting Boni 9th last year, but it never materialized. And I doubt it happens now. But I'd love for it to happen. And while I personally don't believe in line up protection, if you are one to put stock in that, it allows him to still be at the bottom of the order while being protected by Coghlan.

If Maybin proves he can put up at least a, say, .340 OBP, then sure, move him to lead off. Until then I'd prefer him hitting 9th.

Comment

• double dipper
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Looks like a new player since the promotion.

Still needs to walk more, but it's progress.

Comment

• isn't this what he does every September though? He's like the USC of baseball players. Hyped, falters out of the gate, does well against lesser opponents, finishes really strong at the end and has everyone talking about how well he'll do the next year. Repeat cycle.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• There is real hope now. He's not hitting 50 hoppers that become triples. He actually hitting the ball into the outfield now.

Comment

• ehe

Comment

• Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                                isn't this what he does every September though? He's like the USC of baseball players. Hyped, falters out of the gate, does well against lesser opponents, finishes really strong at the end and has everyone talking about how well he'll do the next year. Repeat cycle.
                                This is not a good comparison to his past

Comment

Working...
                                X