Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Maybin 2010: He Gone!

He's been abysmal for two weeks now.

In another three weeks, does the front office end it and put BC or LoMo in right until Stanton is ready? Or does Maybin's Last Stand entail atleast three months to prove he is a major leaguer? (We know he has nothing to prove at AAA.)

Putting LoMo in the lineup gives us the opportunity to raise his trade value for a possible trade deadline move. He can't be any worse than Hermida in rightfield.

I'd like to see BC have some extended time in the lineup but I think he is more valuable as a fourth outfielder.

He'll get at least as much time this year as Bonifacio got last year.

Comment

Hope he turns it around. He still is very young. If the FO gives up on him before august, it would be a shame.

Comment

if Maybin goes then Cogs has to go too.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Cogs has shown he can do it for more than 3 weeks...

Comment

Not that this necessarily validates Maybin, but:

Cody Ross over that time frame: .217/.250/.304 (.554)
            Coghlan over that time frame: .234/.294/.234 (.528)
            John Baker over that time frame: .188/.333/.188 (.521)
            Gaby Sanchez over that time frame:. 235/.350/.294 (.644)

Hell, if you take out last night's game, Hanley's line from 4/16 was: .234/.321/.319 (.640)

I'm not saying that means Maybin is free from criticism or worry, but with the exception, really, of Jorge Cantu, Dan Uggla, and Ronnie Paulino, pretty much our entire lineup has blown balls over the last two weeks.

The problem with this excercise is if he goes 3-4 with 3 doubles in the next two games, that makes his last two weeks look a lot better. We're dealing with really small sample sizes here. Hanley's game last night lifted his OPS since April 16 some 150 points. One game!

I don't think we go with Logan Morrison in RF, if he's coming into the lineup, he's going to LF or 1B. I also don't think BC is a good option as an everyday player. He's going to be eaten alive by RHP.
            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM.
            poop

Comment

Nobody on that list has a track record of suck though. (Gaby doesn't count yet)

Comment

Ok, so they should all have longer leashes. Definitely.

But he's not the only one in our lineup that is struggling right now, so I don't think he should be judged any differently right now. Our entire lineup is crap right now, and he's part of it.

Past success matters for how long of a leash you should have with a player. He's had two bad weeks. Do you think that is long enough?

And actually, you can break it down even further and say he's really only been bad since the last game of the Houston series, which is 7 games. He was fine before that. He's 4-30 in that time span.
                poop

Comment

I'm sure my initial question has 'in three more weeks'.

And who cares if our lineup has been crap lately? I'm talking about Cameron Maybin.

Comment

It matters because anyone (and, really, damn near everyone on our team right now is) can have a bad two weeks. That's a really, really small sample size.

How long of a leash should he get? I wouldn't have had an answer in March, I didn't have an answer when he had an .801 OPS on the 15th, and I don't have one now. Because he's had a bad two weeks (and like I said, really, more like a bad week). I'm not going to change my opinion on someone based on a two week sample size.
                    poop

Comment

I don't want to consider the leash they gave Boner last year as a barometer, because making another mistake on the back of a previous one is more foolish than just having the one.

With that said.....I think that if we get another week of this, Maybin should see some time lower in the lineup. Coghlan, Ross, and Hanley all have been so-so since 4/16 like bob pointed out, but they also have been hitting the ball really well the last few days at people. Hanley had his coming out party (hopefully) yesterday and I think CC and Cody are right around the corner. Maybin continues to be overmatched on 89 MPH fastballs and his swing is still way too long.
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

Yes, I think we should stop assuming everyone gets as long as Boner. Hopefully a lesson was learned. It would be pretty stupid if they say in the front office, well, Bonifaco had until this date, so who cares if Maybin, Coghlan, Ross, whoever, sucks right now and is a drag on the lineup, they get until the Bonifacio cutoff date.

Comment

Young or not, I just have a bad feeling Maybin just isn't, and will not be, that good. He needs to start showing some improvement in closing the hole(s) in his swing soon, our his projected ceiling is going to have be revised downward substantially (which it already has).

That being said, I think before sending him down, they ought to try him further down in the lineup for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                            Yes, I think we should stop assuming everyone gets as long as Boner. Hopefully a lesson was learned. It would be pretty stupid if they say in the front office, well, Bonifaco had until this date, so who cares if Maybin, Coghlan, Ross, whoever, sucks right now and is a drag on the lineup, they get until the Bonifacio cutoff date.
                            They fucked up with Abercrombie and gave him too long of a leash (even though he hit a 750 ft home run in Cincy once!). They didn't learn from that mistake, and fucked with with Bonifacio.

Like those two chumps, Maybin is one of Beinfest's guys. If they didn't learn from Abercrombie, I'm doubtful they learned from Boner. It's more likely they have an organizational philosophy built around giving a player like Abercrombie/Boner/Maybin a certain amount of time, and that time is roughly how much time Abercrombie and Boner got to prove themselves.

Comment

Leave Cameronnnnnn Alonnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

*tear*

Comment

Working...
                              X