No announcement yet.

Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if his logic works through to his prediction. The Marlins do have a small history of free agent splashes when the big teams pass, however I'm not sure that the numbers will line up in our arena. Unless Loria makes Chapman the Marlins' equivalent of the Designated Player, it'd be hard to see this.

Count me in the camp that wants to see it happen, though.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

• Definitely not in Sub Zero's camp

Comment

• Shouldn't we be spending this money elsewhere? Like locking up JJ and Ricky?

Comment

• I was young when it happened and dont really remember, was there a bidding war over Cabs?
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
            I was young when it happened and dont really remember, was there a bidding war over Cabs?
            I think some big market team signed him before he turned 16, so he went back on the market. I think we did end up outbidding a few teams.
            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I think some big market team signed him before he turned 16, so he went back on the market. I think we did end up outbidding a few teams.
              Cincy did.

And we were the second highest bid, behind the Dodgers; but Alex Gonzalez being here was the swaying factor (so go Sea Bass!).

Comment

• The Marlins apparently are giving free agent Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman something to think about. According to an American League source following the situation, the Marlins are "still in the game" and are believed to have increased their initial $13 million offer in hopes of landing the hard-throwing Chapman.

Chapman told one associate he expects to sign within the next three or four days. If the Marlins do somehow lure Chapman, it probably won't be with the most lucrative deal. They're counting on Chapman's comfort level in South Florida bridging the gap.

Another industry source said he expected Chapman ultimately to sign with either the Angels or Blue Jays for around $21 million.
                "Still in the game" for Chapman; Uggla to stay put?

Comment

• 6:56pm: Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald tweets that internally, the Marlins have "conceded defeat" in the Chapman sweepstakes.
                  Oh well.

Comment

• we conceded defeat the moment we low balled him

Comment

• Now use that money to re-sign JJ and I'll really be happy.

Comment

•   Spoiler:
                        We're going to use that money for anything
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

•   Spoiler:
                          Chewie, you forgot the not.

Comment

• Using the money for more art for the stadium!

Comment

• That offer was pretty silly to begin with and looked like they were making an offer just to get their name mentioned.
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                                That offer was pretty silly to begin with and looked like they were making an offer just to get their name mentioned.
                                Go back in this thread and look for the post where our offer, when taking taxes into account, was pretty close to Boston.

Lowball? Yes.

Silly? No.

Comment

Working...
                                X