No announcement yet.

Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This organization will not offer contracts just to trick the fanbase. They don't want to get stuck paying any contract they didn't want in the first place

Comment

I am not being serious

Comment

I just don't understand our offer, especially if the Red Sox are offering a bit more money with atleast 1-2 years less than ours.

Comment

Our offer is not as good. Can't hurt to ask. Simple enough.

Sometimes it can hurt actually, burning bridges and the like, but I don't think it hurt here.

Comment

So then why don't we make crazy offers all the time to awesome players. Like Matt Holliday. Why not offer him a 4 year, $18mil deal. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

There are no white people in South Florida.
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                So then why don't we make crazy offers all the time to awesome players. Like Matt Holliday. Why not offer him a 4 year, $18mil deal. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
                You're comparing an established superstar to an unproven 21-year old who might just want to play here because of the heavy Cuban population. Not that I seriously believe that Chapman is going to accept our offer, but the two situations are entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                  That one might hurt

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                    You're comparing an established superstar to an unproven 21-year old who might just want to play here because of the heavy Cuban population. Not that I seriously believe that Chapman is going to accept our offer, but the two situations are entirely different.
                    If he was working by himself, I buy this argument. Considering the Hendricks Brothers (I think) are his agents, I do not buy this argument.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Ramp. It's not as if we're trying to deceive some naive kid. He's being advised by some of the best, he defected with the intent of squeezing every dollar he could out of the free agency process (or thereabouts).

Comment

It's funny...Some will get pissed because the Marlins don't spend money and dont try in FA and now people are pissed because they are trying yet failing. You can't have it both ways.

Comment

I think they are pissed because this isnt really trying. When there is already a firm offer on the table and the FO undercuts it by such a margin, it all just seems rather pointless.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Trying and failing is different than trying with no true intent to succeed.

Comment

I still dont understand how anyone can determine the extent of the marlins' efforts toward signing Chapman.
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Because a much better deal was already on the table before they made theirs.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X