Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
    It's funny...Some will get pissed because the Marlins don't spend money and dont try in FA and now people are pissed because they are trying yet failing. You can't have it both ways.
    Not really trying when there's a better offer our there already
    --------------------
    Also, that money can be used elsewhere to improve. Why go after this putz?
    Last edited by Ramp; 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

But isnt any sort of effort, no matter how insignificant it is, an improvement from the past years, when the marlins made no effort at all in the international FAs?
      Last edited by Fish and Chips; 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM.
      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
      Tom Koehler(4-0)
      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I don't see how making an offer that is not nearly as good as a previous offer from another team is a good effort. I don't get it at all

The best will be in 3 years when we find out he is really 28

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          Not really trying when there's a better offer our there already
          --------------------
          Also, that money can be used elsewhere to improve. Why go after this putz?
          Well, to be fair. What is the 5 year breakdown of the $13 million? If it's CC in 2010, can't really say we're improving elsewhere. That wouldn't dent the payroll even as low as it is.

Unless you just want to say pump that money into JJ for 4 years. Take the 23 you will pay for JJ, add in the $13 for this dude, and you're pretty close to Greinke's contract, but I don't really see how these would effect "current" money because it can't be frontloaded.

Comment

We should atleast offer 18 for 5 years.. Didn't AC say Boston was at the top of his list?

Comment

#Marlins Indications remain that Marlins are firmly in the Chapman sweepstakes.
              - Frisaro's Twitter

Comment

We really don't have all the details of the contract offer on the table. We know the base offer was $13mil for 5 seasons.

However, there may be some incentives in the deal. There was also a talked about clause stating that AC may be able to elect for Arbitration after the 3rd season of the contract... somewhat similar to the deal Andrew Miller signed when drafted by the Tigers.

Let's consider the latter shall we? Assuming it is an even amount being dispersed throughout the 5 seasons AC could earn $2.6 Mil in year 1, 2, and 3. Let's say he turns out to be a pretty solid pitcher and elects for arbitration in year 4 and gets around $3.5-$4 mil and then in year 5 he gets $6-$7mil.

If this is the case, the contract in my eyes would be on par or even better then what Boston has already offered.

Comment

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's are "in the thick of the bidding" for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman.

Assistant GM David Forst and two other members of the A's front office took a trip to Houston in early December to witness Chapman throw in person. He was fairly impressive, hitting 96 MPH on the radar gun, and the A's appear ready to offer a competitive bid. The Marlins reportedly made a five-year, $13 million proposal to the left-hander last week.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle
                  http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx
                  --------------------
                  Posted by Jorge Arangure Jr.

With less than a week remaining in 2009, it seems unlikely that Cuban free agent pitcher Aroldis Chapman will agree to a deal with a team and be able to receive his bonus prior to the end of the year, which would have unfortunate tax implications for the phenom.

By signing in 2010, Chapman's bonus will now be eligible to be taxed by the U.S. government.

"Signing bonuses that are received outside the U.S., by a non-U.S. resident, and in a tax year in which the person did not work in the U.S., are not subject to U.S. taxation," wrote agent Joe Kehoskie, who has represented Cuban players for several years, in an email. "As far as I'm aware, neither the Hendricks brothers nor Rodney Fernandez (who represent Chapman) have ever completed a contract for a foreign free agent, so I bet this issue flew right under their radar. Right now, it's shaping up as a $3 million (or more) loss for Chapman.

"For most players, the net effect is that they pay 20% or 25% in taxes at home instead of 35% or 40% in total state and federal taxes in the U.S.," Kehoskie added. "Thus, it can be a nice savings, but it's not a windfall for the average player from Latin America. For Chapman, however, his residency in tax-free Andorra could have resulted in several million dollars in tax savings -- savings that, with 2010 only days away, now seem all but lost."

Shrewd representatives of teenage July 2 prospects from Latin American usually don't have their players participate in any games in the United States in the same year they sign for the specific reason of avoiding paying taxes on their bonus. For example, Michael Ynoa, who received a record $4.25 million bonus from the Oakland A's in 2008 did not participate in a professional game in the U.S. until 2009. Miguel Angel Sano, who received a $3.15 million bonus this year from the Minnesota Twins, won't make his debut until next year.
                  http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...ngure_jorge_jr
                  Last edited by Party; 12-30-2009, 09:30 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The Marlins are willing to spend on Aroldis Chapman because they don't anticipate handing big bucks over to their first round pick next year, tweets MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. The Marlins have the 23rd overall pick in the draft.
                    MLBTR

Comment

• Frisaro with another scoop

Do we ever hand over big bucks to our draft picks? If anyone thinks we will draft a guy who fell cause of contract demands is crazy. We will either go with a college pitcher(Bryan Morgado,Kyle Blair,Chad Bettis) or HS player who's stock is on the rise(Meaning no one has heard of him right now)

I will say the Top 12 picks in this years draft are gonna be very nice.Alot of arms

Comment

• I don't think you understand tjfla (big shocker).

By picking 23rd, our expected outlay for our first round pick should be substantially less than picking, oh say, 12th. That "savings" can then be spent elsewhere (here, Firsario surmises, on Chapman).

Comment

• Spending some of the draft budget on Chapman is probably* a safer bet anyways.

*I have no proof and would like a confirmation

Comment

• According to a report on ESPN.com on Friday afternoon, the Blue Jays held a private workout for the highly touted Chapman on Thursday in Florida. Following that session, the Jays reportedly met with the left-hander's representatives, Houston-based agents Randy and Alan Hendricks.

The Hendricks' presence in Florida could indicate that a team may be nearing an agreement with the 21-year-old Chapman -- a native of Cuba. The A's and Angels also emerged as bidders for Chapman this week.

Anthopoulos could not be immediately reached for comment.

The Yankees and Red Sox are also believed to have serious interest in Chapman, who pitched in front of roughly 14 teams in early December in Houston. Anthopoulos has previously noted that the Blue Jays had scouts in attendance for that workout.

It is believed that Chapman could command a contract worth between $20-25 million. In November, Boston reportedly made an offer of $15.5 million for Chapman, who was represented by agent Edwin Mejia at the time.
                            Jays eye Chapman in private workout

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal. January 4th 2010

Aroldis Chapman -- I’m starting to think that one of the low-revenue clubs might get him as his price rises beyond the comfort level of big spenders such as the Yankees and Red Sox.

I know, I know – the above sentence makes little sense. But the Yankees and Red Sox, in the newest phase of their blood rivalry, want efficient players at efficient prices; as if the rest of baseball will forget that they’re both stinkin’ rich.

Chapman is a hard-throwing left-hander, but he was not an efficient pitcher in Cuba, averaging 5.6 walks per nine innings in his last four seasons. Given the intense competition to sign him, he also will not come at an efficient price.

Prediction: Marlins.
                              http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/0...e-agent-market
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• you gotta be shitting me

Comment

Working...
                                X