Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Festa View Post
    Is this Tampa metro or just St. Pete?

And I agree wholeheartedly that long term attendance issues are because of the stadium. But the final week of the season, your team is in it and you draw 12K?

Atleast the Marlins drew in the mid 30s that final week.
    I have no idea. I'm assuming Tampa metro though.

The stadium just fucking sucks to get to. If you live in Tampa, it's at least a 30 minute drive and St. Pete is all tourists and poor people so they don't go unless the Red Sox or Yankees are in town. They'll draw for the playoffs. It's hard to get up for a game against a last place team when you're starting the playoffs in a week.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I'm happy for Cody
      --------------------
      I also like the Giants, so there's that
      --------------------
      And if Latos was a real man, he would have two t's in his first name.
      Last edited by Metes; 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
        I have no idea. I'm assuming Tampa metro though.

The stadium just fucking sucks to get to. If you live in Tampa, it's at least a 30 minute drive and St. Pete is all tourists and poor people so they don't go unless the Red Sox or Yankees are in town. They'll draw for the playoffs. It's hard to get up for a game against a last place team when you're starting the playoffs in a week.
        I've been there and I was one of those tourists!

Not only does the stadium suck to get to, but the stadium sucks. I luv'd the air conditioner and playing while it rained outside, but the stadium has no other redeeming qualities.

Tampa Bay metro is a lot like South Florida. The metro is so awkwardly shaped that wherever you put a stadium it will alienate somebody. It isn't like a Houston or St. Louis where the city spreads out evenly from the center. The 'best' location for any ballpark will have to be in downtown Tampa.

Comment

Yeah, the stadium should be in downtown Tampa by Channelside (where St. Pete Times Forum is) or by the 1-800-Ask-Gary (lolz) Ampitheater near the I-4/I-275 interchange.

Comment

Its right next to Fergs

Comment

Add some numbers to your point Fritz:

Using demographic data, the Rays say 615,000 people live within a 30-minute drive of Tropicana Field.

Compare that with Pittsburgh, where 1.2-million people live within a 30-minute drive, Kalt said. Or Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland or Kansas City, which all have populations twice as dense as the Rays.

"We just don't have enough people within a half an hour drive," Kalt said.

Building a stadium in Carillon or at Toytown would almost double the population within a 30-minute commute, the Rays say. But that's not the only problem.

When compared to other major league markets, Tampa Bay ranks near the bottom in retail buying income, retail sales and corporate base, Kalt said.

His research mirrors a separate St. Petersburg Times analysis published last month.
              http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...icle925441.ece

Comment

So, basically, the real point here is they shouldn't have an MLB franchise.

Comment

But at the time of their expansion, they led the league in gradients

Comment

Just to put some numbers behind what Matt said

Comment

• At the time, they led the league in best:

Last edited by Metes; 10-01-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Latos is a bitch

helluva pitcher though

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          So, basically, the real point here is they shouldn't have an MLB franchise.
                          Probably. Half of the AL Central wanted to move here during the 90s though.

Comment

• Cody Ross has a beard

Comment

• It's October

Comment

• there's only one

Comment

Working...
                                X