2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

i couldnt watch this weekend, did he have a noticeable injury? From what i read he kind of just left a game and people were confused about how he got injured? Is he supposed to be out for the year?
    Back injury on a stolen base. That’s really all I know.

Comment

• Skip said something about the imaging coming back negative, it seems they’re mostly just being very cautious since the seasons lost and he has nothing left to prove

Always hard not to worry with back injuries though

Comment

• I would like to never see Roddery Munoz again after this season.

Comment

• Griff triples for his 1st hit. That was cool.

Comment

• Crazy comeback here.

Comment

• That was a hell of a first start for Conine. Triple was HR in any other ballpark. Fingers crossed his contact issues are fixed with that power

Also good to see how much the players still care. Great comeback

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                That was a hell of a first start for Conine. Triple was HR in any other ballpark. Fingers crossed his contact issues are fixed with that power

Also good to see how much the players still care. Great comeback
                He did bring down the Ks a little bit this year, 29.5% K rate. If he could maintain that at the big leagues I think he sticks. Obviously that’s unlikely.

Comment

• Jesus Sanchez .801 OPS against righties this year .786 for his career. I think we know what he is at this point. I think pair him Dane, or go out and get a lefty-masher in the offseason, and you have a piece going forward.

Would he accept a 5 year $45 million type deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    Jesus Sanchez .801 OPS against righties this year .786 for his career. I think we know what he is at this point. I think pair him Dane, or go out and get a lefty-masher in the offseason, and you have a piece going forward.

Would he accept a 5 year $45 million type deal?
                    why on earth would you give a guy who cant ever play against lefties a long term deal? he has 76 ab's this year and has a .393 OPS against lefties. .393!!! pretty average fielder, not a good base runner. The only way i give him an extension is if he starts absolutely mashing righties. he's not hitting them nearly well enough to make up for the other holes in his game. he's got 3 years left of team control AFTER this year. Let him continue to do what he does and see if he breaks out further. absent showing more, he's not worth a long term deal. he's also got some of the dumbest baseball IQ we've seen in a while. He managed to get out on a walk the other day.

He's not going to start hitting lefties. the only way i sign him is if his walk rate improves and his k rate declines. it's just another one of the guys lou will fall in love with because the hard hit numbers are good without ever taking into consideration the reason he isnt all that good is because he has 0 plate discipline. there is a reason he has a 98 WRC+ for his career and just a .734 OPS.
                    Last edited by fish16; 08-28-2024, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

why on earth would you give a guy who cant ever play against lefties a long term deal? he has 76 ab's this year and has a .393 OPS against lefties. .393!!! pretty average fielder, not a good base runner. The only way i give him an extension is if he starts absolutely mashing righties. he's not hitting them nearly well enough to make up for the other holes in his game. he's got 3 years left of team control AFTER this year. Let him continue to do what he does and see if he breaks out further. absent showing more, he's not worth a long term deal. he's also got some of the dumbest baseball IQ we've seen in a while. He managed to get out on a walk the other day.

He's not going to start hitting lefties. the only way i sign him is if his walk rate improves and his k rate declines. it's just another one of the guys lou will fall in love with because the hard hit numbers are good without ever taking into consideration the reason he isnt all that good is because he has 0 plate discipline. there is a reason he has a 98 WRC+ for his career and just a .734 OPS.
                      .801 OPS against righties is good in today's MLB. Yes, we know he doesn't hit lefties, but teams with low payrolls need to utilize platoons.

Is he anything special? No, but that's why you get him on a team friendly deal. Lock in spots in the lineup. Then shoot for the moon in trades or signings (ha) to fill CF and SS.
                      Last edited by Nick; 08-28-2024, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• The out on the walk the other day was stupid, but I put a lot of that on the first base coach. Buck stops there with something like that

I’m fine not signing him since he’s just a platoon bat and he’ll be 30 when he’s a FA so likely not too many years left in the tank at that point anyway, but I do think it’d be smart especially if team option heavy in the FA years. A platoon corner bat is most likely in the cards for the next several years anyway, it’s not like there’s fear of pushing him out as there’s way more holes to worry about first. If he’s still just a serviceable platoon bat, he’s making that in arbitration here anyway - and so adds a safeguard with the breakout potential.

But yeah 5 year contract would need to look more of 3 guaranteed + 2 options than 5 years guaranteed for me. But that’s what they always did on the Rays so don’t expect it to be different here

Comment

• Also super cherry picked but Stowers last 9 games: .296/.367/.519/.885 with K rate down to 23.3%. I don’t have too much faith in him*, but good to see him turn it around because he looked absolutely lost out there initially

*and being fair to that line, the XBH basically only came at Coors and it’s with a .368 BABIP. But at least he’s not striking out half the time anymore lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

.801 OPS against righties is good in today's MLB. Yes, we know he doesn't hit lefties, but teams with low payrolls need to utilize platoons.

Is he anything special? No, but that's why you get him on a team friendly deal. Lock in spots in the lineup. Then shoot for the moon in trades or signings (ha) to fill CF and SS.
                            .801 against righties is not good enough to make up for the other deficiencies is my point. he is a complete liability against lefties, and he doesnt hit righties enough to make up for that, the average defense, bad base running, terrible plate discipline, and overall bad baseball IQ. that is not worth 10 million per year to this team specifically with the payroll constraints. that's not nearly team friendly enough for what he brings in my opinion. obviously you are free to disagree. He's got 3 years left after this year. he is a let it ride and see what happens guy for me. you could maybe convince me if, like NNY says, there are team options on the last few years.

Comment

• Anyway, I think Sanchez and Dane could be a very productive .800 OPS type production for the next couple of years. In my eyes I'm seeing 4 spots locked up for the next couple of years. Maybe I'm overreacting on early production with Norby, but I like him a lot.

Edwards 2B
                              Burger 1B/DH
                              Norby 3B/LF
                              Sanchez/Dane RF

Jonah Bride being a possibility, this last month will be huge for him.

Then you have DDLS/Johnston/Berry/Martorella all fighting for one 1B/DH spot. I guess LF could still be open if Norby sticks at 3B. I'm not buying this Berry in RF experiment.

Victor Mesa Jr. in my eyes didn't do enough this year to have me convinced he's going to be the main CF at some point next year, but it's there for the taking. Huge year for him next year, he needs to play off the charts to convince the FO not to take one of those CF in the draft IMO.

Catcher - the battle between Mack/Banfield/Ramirez will be on. You can't have them all on the AAA roster, right? One of them has to make the team out of spring the way I see it.

Sanoja at the very least will be a solid utility guy. He'll get a shot at some point next year.

Jared Serna - I think he has to make SS work for him to have a spot on the team in the future. I'm interested to see the next defensive scouting report on him and if people think he can stick there.

Comment

• Christian Bethancourt has 7 rbis today.

did he have 7 rbis total with us?

Comment

Working...
                                X