2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post

If they get Mayer for just that, everything Bendix has done to date is forgiven.

Boston is win now. White isn't cutting it to me for them. See above. Load them up with arms for now. Make Mayer the plant the flag prospect move even if it costs 2 of the core pitchers, but definitely get some FV45 types attached to that to fill it out.
    I thought I read somewhere that Mayer has some injury concerns so maybe the Marlins don't have to throw the mother load package at Red Sox.

Well, we are 28 hours away from finding out.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      bradfield doesnt do much for me from Baltimore. If we can get Norby i'd be happy. Take the bat and figure out the glove later. Not like we're trying to find a specific position to fill. We're trying to fill about 8 of them.
      We got defensive slugs with Ramirez, DLS, Edwards (probably), and Martorella longterm, and if they make it, Berry and Morlando don't play defense either. On top of that, Burger and DLC for right now. I think defenders are actually really important up the middle right now as the theoretical pop is showing up with Ramirez and DLS, and lesser extent Martorella. Mack/Banfield, Otto, and Mesa Jr. as backups are probably good defenders only short and medium term.

Also this we need 8 bats thing isn't a thing. They are going to give leashes to "their guys." There isn't 40 man space for the impending arrivals. They are all getting shots:

C - Ramirez, Mack, Banfield, Fortes <--- Not doing anything major here for years besides drafting 3rd/4th rounders each year or whatever
      1B - Burger ----> DLS, Martorella, Berry <--- Not doing anything major here. They will get their shots
      2B - Edwards ----> Not doing anything major here + Carter Johnson and secondary guys like Cappe
      SS - Yes this is 1
      3B - Yes this is 2
      LF - Sanchez/DLC ----> Martorella/Marsee/Dane ---> Morlando <--- Not doing anything major here. They will try them out
      CF Yes this is 3 ----> Mesa Jr./Marsee/Sasaki/Pintar ---> D. Head
      RF Yes this is 4
      DH DLC ---> DLS, Martorella, Berry <--- Not doing anything major here. They will get their shots

A good team will get those 4 bats. Ramirez and DLS are big longterm acquisitions for them and Martorella a medium one. These guys are going to play a ton next year.

Comment

• mayer is probably in the mayo camp of not being super realistic for Scott. Regardless, they have done a relatively good job adding 1b, C, and 2b/LF so far, but we need to end the day tomorrow with some sort of long term guy at SS. We have literally nothing there right now given that edwards likely cant stay there long term. Who is next in line after that?

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

We got defensive slugs with Ramirez, DLS, Edwards (probably), and Martorella longterm, and if they make it, Berry and Morlando don't play defense either. On top of that, Burger and DLC for right now. I think defenders are actually really important up the middle right now as the theoretical pop is showing up with Ramirez and DLS, and lesser extent Martorella. Mack/Banfield, Otto, and Mesa Jr. as backups are probably good defenders only short and medium term.

Also this we need 8 bats thing isn't a thing. They are going to give leashes to "their guys." There isn't 40 man space for the impending arrivals. They are all getting shots:

C - Ramirez, Mack, Banfield, Fortes <--- Not doing anything major here for years besides drafting 3rd/4th rounders each year or whatever
          1B - Burger ----> DLS, Martorella, Berry <--- Not doing anything major here. They will get their shots
          2B - Edwards ----> Not doing anything major here + Carter Johnson and secondary guys like Cappe
          SS - Yes this is 1
          3B - Yes this is 2
          LF - Sanchez/DLC ----> Martorella/Marsee/Dane ---> Morlando <--- Not doing anything major here. They will try them out
          CF Yes this is 3 ----> Mesa Jr./Marsee/Sasaki/Pintar ---> D. Head
          RF Yes this is 4
          DH DLC ---> DLS, Martorella, Berry <--- Not doing anything major here. They will get their shots

A good team will get those 4 bats. Ramirez and DLS are big longterm acquisitions for them and Martorella a medium one. These guys are going to play a ton next year.
          When i say they need 8 bats, i dont mean just a depth chart where you plug in guys in the minors in and act like that position is filled. I mean they need to find 8 positions worth of quality MLB starters and actually have them produce. Yes, ramirez can be placed at C and theoretically the position is filled, but you have no idea if the guy is good at all. I'd say they have 2.5 currently. Edwards, Burger, and Sanchez.

Sanchez is a pure platoon player, and not sure how many years DLC can stink before you stop penciling him in. He's a DH who can't hit? A LF who cant hit or field or run the bases. He stinks. Just move on from the guy already. How many years is he going to be flat out bad before you cut bait? It doesnt matter right now because the team stinks, but continuing to plug him in long term for the future is absurd. Since the beginning of last year he has a -.1 WAR in over 1000 plate appearances with awful defense and a 94 WRC+. He has quite literally been bad at every aspect of baseball. For his career he is at 1.5 WAR with a 97 WRC+ in over 1600 PA's, and much of that 1.5 WAR was done in a 2 week stretch of meaningless september baseball in 2022. Just stop with the guy already he stinks.

They need at least 6, probably closer to 7 future bats.
          Last edited by fish16; 07-29-2024, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Man, Dane Myers probably ruined his one chance to show he could be a major league starter. If he was healthy, have to think he'd be in CF every day with Jazz traded. What a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

I thought I read somewhere that Mayer has some injury concerns so maybe the Marlins don't have to throw the mother load package at Red Sox.

Well, we are 28 hours away from finding out.
              I think it's a long term view that he's fine. That would be amazing though. If they got him Bendix earns all the money.

I really like this Campbell guy and Meidroth also for Scott if we are dialing this down for just Scott. Campbell is certainly a centerpiece it looks like. Bendix adds a third good player to that and dishes over Cronin/Bender/Brazoban, that is ultimately likely a very good 3-2 deal as Campbell and Meidroth are going to slot into the 2025 team and potentially longterm as starting CF and main IF backup, and that is 2 more of those 4 bats.

If they did that for Scott with Campbell and Meidroth, they'll need a SS and 3B in free agency at a $65m payroll and still have Luzardo.

Like this isn't a bad roster all of a sudden:

C Ramirez, Fortes/Banfield
              1B Burger, DLS
              2B Edwards, Otto
              SS ___
              3B ___, Meidroth
              LF Marotrella (miscast, but he could do it for a year until Burger is moved. Or maybe they move Burger too)
              CF Campbell, Mesa Jr./Marsee/Sasaski
              RF Sanchez

SP Sandy, Luzardo, Garrett, Cabrera, Weathers, Rogers, Max <--- Everyone still here
              RHP Bender, Brazoban, Faucher, Hoeing (we'll say Cronin goes to Boston too)
              LHP Nardi, ______

DLC moved for a ho hum lefty RP ---> Lefty reliever

However to note, huge scouting differences here. Fangraphs has Campbell as prospect 6 and a FV45+ in their system and pipeline has him as a whatever 30th overall prospect in system. If Fangraphs is wrong, this makes no sense. But Boston has some other stuff I suppose.

Guess we'll see, but ultimately the idea they can turn Scott + RP into 2 more bats into next year would be pretty great, especially if one is better than Edwards on paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post
                Man, Dane Myers probably ruined his one chance to show he could be a major league starter. If he was healthy, have to think he'd be in CF every day with Jazz traded. What a shame.
                He will get his chance still.

The way this is shaking out, he has to fight Marsee, Martorella, Sasaki, and Mesa Jr. for playing time, and that sounds to me he has a 2-14 week head start on them opening day 2025. Because keeping them down 2 weeks is a year of service time, and keeping them down 14 weeks is super 2 deflection. You know, the usual groans.

Comment

• Red Sox just got bullpen help with Preister from the Pirates. He was a FV50 last year.

Traded Nick Yorke (FV45 now), who is a favorite bat only/no defense guy of mine who may be able to cut it at 2B which is a position Pitt needs.

Good trade for them.

Not sure if this pops them outta Scott.

Comment

• They also just claimed this guy from the Astros - https://www.fangraphs.com/players/da...position=2B/DH

He's a low ceiling 2B/3B backup type, but maybe can carve out a bench role with a strong showing rest of the year. Probably a nothing move.

Comment

• if you're trying to plug in a long term DH, it's burger. an actual impactful hitter who shouldnt be playing the field. Plus with Martorella, i guess Berry, De Los Santos, we have options for 1b long term. Use burger at his strengths.

Comment

• I have to imagine Troy Johnston gets the call once Bell is moved. They'll probably wait til 2025 on DDLS.

Comment

if you're trying to plug in a long term DH, it's burger. an actual impactful hitter who shouldnt be playing the field. Plus with Martorella, i guess Berry, De Los Santos, we have options for 1b long term. Use burger at his strengths.
                          Is Burger bad at 1B too? Analytically? Seems to me he should have enough athleticism to handle 1B.

Comment

Is Burger bad at 1B too? Analytically? Seems to me he should have enough athleticism to handle 1B.
                            i'd have to look closer into it but regardless, DH seems like where he is best suited given the other options now in Martorella and De Los Santos.

Looking closer- he seems to be average if not slightly below average at 1b compared to being flat out bad at 3b.

Comment

if you're trying to plug in a long term DH, it's burger. an actual impactful hitter who shouldnt be playing the field. Plus with Martorella, i guess Berry, De Los Santos, we have options for 1b long term. Use burger at his strengths.
                              Yep. I'm telling you - 4 bats. And 3 of them really good ones.

This roster is under $65m just to mention where I think this is going for Bendix:

C Ramirez, Fortes/Banfield
                              1B Burger, DLS (other primary DH)
                              2B Edwards, Otto
                              SS ___
                              3B ___, ___
                              LF Marotrella
                              CF ___, Mesa Jr./Marsee/Sasaski
                              RF Sanchez

SP Sandy, Luzardo, Garrett, Cabrera, Weathers, Max
                              RHP Bender, Brazoban, Faucher, Hoeing, Munoz/Maldonado
                              LHP Nardi, _____

+ Eury midseason

+Scott trade returns
                              +Rogers trade returns
                              +Cronin trade returns
                              +DLC trade returns

Bradfield and Max Wagner on Baltimore make A LOT of sense and both are probably up for CF and 3B by midseason for Scott. High floor defender and Max is a paltoon guy for lefties. They can get by until then. Find another 3B infielder for Rogers for right now which seems doable and turn DLC into a lefty reliever which is very reasonable to me.

Do that and you are under $70 million needing 1 and only 1 player for 2025 with absolutely no payroll on the books longterm except Sandy for 2-3 seasons - a stud every day shortstop.

Could trade Luzardo for one and sign a SP to replace him. Or, do the move and make us proud again - Adames.

A lot of options, but the names are starting to show up on the depth chart for sure.

Comment

He's pretty bad - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...-r-hitting-mlb

Big picture with what things look like right now, best of Burger of DLS gets 1B and the other DH. Martorella is going to have to go to LF for these guys.

Burger is kind of a problem with the roster TBH though, as Martorella should be the 1B and DLS slides in versus lefties. DLS can DH the rest of the time with Ramirez who might not be a 110+ game catcher. Burger seems like a potential offseason trade to me assuming Martorella and DLS look like 2025 options which they should. Martorella has been not great but he should click eventually. You get a better LF/RF for Burger and it works out better positionally, etc.

We'll see. I am cautiously optimistic for a real banger for Scott here beyond what I have been expecting for months.

Comment

Working...
                                X