No announcement yet.

2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i see the new phrase of the year is unapologetic baseball moves. something can be both unapologetic and a terrible move. this move was both. great way to build the fanbase. Nothing will help drive revenue and in turn drive increased payroll quite like tearing down the entire team "unapologetically." Im sure bruce will just be dying to spend money after averaging 4k fans the rest of the year.
    Last edited by fish16; 05-07-2024, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• monte harrison is now out of baseball and playing college football at arkansas somehow. Lewis brinson is completely out of baseball. Jordan Yamamoto coaches high school. Isan diaz is completely out of baseball. Magneuris Sierra is completely out of baseball.

Comment

• The Yelich and Realmuto trades both might go down as some of the worst ever.

Traded Yelich(23.3 WAR since leaving Miami) for 4 guys who accumulated -5.8 WAR.

Traded Realmuto(21.1 WAR in Philadelphia) for a 1.9 WAR between Sanchez and Alfaro.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
          The Yelich and Realmuto trades both might go down as some of the worst ever.

Traded Yelich(23.3 WAR since leaving Miami) for 4 guys who accumulated -5.8 WAR.

Traded Realmuto(21.1 WAR in Philadelphia) for a 1.9 WAR between Sanchez and Alfaro.
          Yelich trade 1000%

It could be argued that the serious injury (injuries) to Sixto's shoulder had a SUBSTANTIAL impact on the outcome of Realmuto's trade.

If the centerpiece of any trade (in this case Sixto) suffers a serious injury, does it make it one of the worst TRADES ever or one of the worst OUTCOMES ever?

Comment

• I would argue that Sanchez had a lot of red flags while still in the Phillies system due to his conditioning and diet combined with his frame so while it is an unfortunate outcome it was not one that was even unlikely making the trade very risky.

Especially when the other parts of the trade were a below replacement level catcher roughly the same age and a nothing LHP and the return to Philadelphia was the best catcher in baseball.
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
              I don’t know that I’m there yet with giving Bendix credit for trading a popular player just yet, partly because I’m still so annoyed about the offseason strategy, that this doesn’t buy enough good will, but mostly because I’m not sold it was a good return. I suppose the counter to that would be that Bendix thinks it was a great deal, so that in itself does show he was willing to make an unpopular move at a time when you don’t see moves like this in order to get a great return. But if it’s not actually a good return, the idea probably doesn’t matter much anyway. All we can do is see, though, I guess. He’s going to get his shot to rebuild this thing how he wants as Bruce isn’t letting him go anytime soon. So hopefully he can get enough back in the fire sale to restock the farm a bit, add what should be a high pick next year (although I think we all know we’ll get fucked in the lottery), along with what will hopefully be a better pick than we’re used to this year, and then spend some money both on home grown talent as well as the right guys in FA. If that happens, all will be forgiven.
              No notes (and I do think he is well underwater for the record).

What was your favorite HR last night? There are many to choose from!

Comment

The Yelich and Realmuto trades both might go down as some of the worst ever.

For sure.

The Yelich move was dead on arrival, at least there was some hope for the Phillies one. This is far and away Yelich for me since he was already signed to an extension and it was the worst at time of trade.

Also to quib, should probably do this via surplus value as Realmuto's contract is big, but it's not Yelich big, so Realmuto is blowing away Yelich on pure value here especially on the position. Statistically, that's probably the worst one.

Comment

I would argue that Sanchez had a lot of red flags while still in the Phillies system due to his conditioning and diet combined with his frame so while it is an unfortunate outcome it was not one that was even unlikely making the trade very risky.

Especially when the other parts of the trade were a below replacement level catcher roughly the same age and a nothing LHP and the return to Philadelphia was the best catcher in baseball.
                  Agreed. I remember it being reported he had plenty of conditioning issues as a Phillie before we traded for him. And it continued every year here

Comment

• But for Ozuna

Cards 4 WAR

Sandy + Gallen + Jazz + Castano(.2!) + Sierra (-.8!) ---> 22+ WAR and counting with 5.5 combined years of control left of Sandy and Jazz. Could easily get to 35+ if those two have some good years.

And imagine if they kept Gallen (7+ more WAR)

And Stanton

Yankees 8.5

S. Castro 5.3 + $250 million or whatever

They kind of nailed 2 of these even if the other 2 are horrendous

Comment

• the funniest part of the moves is that yelich was on a dirt cheap contract that didnt expire for years and JT ended up signing for just 5 years 115 million, which is an absolute bargain for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Yelich trade 1000%

It could be argued that the serious injury (injuries) to Sixto's shoulder had a SUBSTANTIAL impact on the outcome of Realmuto's trade.

If the centerpiece of any trade (in this case Sixto) suffers a serious injury, does it make it one of the worst TRADES ever or one of the worst OUTCOMES ever?
                        sixto had injury issues and never took conditioning seriously (and still doesnt) before the trade. It ended up being a bad outcome but it was a bad trade as well. Especially when we were looking at names like austin riley and Kyle tucker around those times as well for JT i believe.

We built around pitching in an era where every pitcher will have TJ at some point most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

No notes (and I do think he is well underwater for the record).

What was your favorite HR last night? There are many to choose from!
                          Haha, my favorite was probably the James Outman HR because how the fuck do you give up a 2R HR to James Outman after your team just came back and tied it? What’s funny is for all the fireworks early, it’s was incredibly boring the last 6 innings.

In reality, I was kind of cool seeing Ohtani hit one. He absolutely crushed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

sixto had injury issues and never took conditioning seriously (and still doesnt) before the trade. It ended up being a bad outcome but it was a bad trade as well. Especially when we were looking at names like austin riley and Kyle tucker around those times as well for JT i believe.
                            Your skull. It's so thick. It's like the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

• How soon we forget how high Sixto's ceiling was in 2020 (when he was 21 years old) winning a road playoff game.

Comment

• Starting to think Rogers and Cabrera would be better used as max effort 1/2 IP guys out of the pen.

That first start back for Cabrera against SF was great. His ERA in the other 4 starts is over 9 and he's went over 4 IP just once.

Small sample size for sure but it is worrisome.
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X