No announcement yet.

Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember more than a few people on T&B saying Jorge Cantu was the MVP of our 2008 team.

My how the times have changed.
    poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      I remember more than a few people on T&B saying Jorge Cantu was the MVP of our 2008 team.

My how the times have changed.
      I still like him.

Personally, I think he takes far too much bashing around here. Yeah, his numbers might not exactly translate to first base, but he's still a solid player. He put up an .808 OPS in '08 and, had it not been for his wrist, would have probably topped that this season.

I posted a thread a couple of months ago about his power shortage this year being very fluky and about how his plate discipline has improved considerably; not just in terms of taking walks, but also in going away from the "pull-happy" mentality he had in '08.

I mean, the doubles were still there (42 compared to 41 last season) and he cut down on his strikeouts by quite a bit (from 111 to 81). Also, I know RBI aren't exactly a big stat with sabermetricians, but the guy batted .300 with a .353 OBP with RISP this season to drive in 100 runs.

I think people here are being a little too anal about Cantu. The fact that he isn't your "prototypical first baseman" doesn't mean he isn't still a nice player. I would love to have him back in 2010, and I expect him to have a career year. I really think his power will be back, and with his improved approach at the plate overall, I honestly don't think an .830 OPS season is out of the question.
      Last edited by m26555; 11-11-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

He's a nice player for most teams at $5 mil. Not for us. I think that's where it comes from. You've got guys like Uggla and Cody who give you more who are possibly going to leave if we keep him.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          He's a nice player for most teams at $5 mil. Not for us. I think that's where it comes from. You've got guys like Uggla and Cody who give you more who are possibly going to leave if we keep him.
          Oh no I'm not saying that we should give Cantu priority over Uggs. I'm just saying that the vibe around here almost seems like he's a below average player that we should simply dump when we have the chance (because, let's face it, that's pretty much what we would be doing if we deal him this off-season).

Comment

In my mind, the dealing is more of an inevitability. It should be pretty obvious that the hatchet is coming out in terms of payroll. That being the case, I think Uggla is more worth his $7-8 million than Cantu is worth his $5 (to this team, anyway).

In a vacuum, of course, Cantu is a good player that I'd like to keep around. But payroll is payroll.

Comment

Interest in Uggla ... at third base — 10:51 a.m.

The two teams showing the most interest in Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla would move him to third base.

The Giants and Orioles are the clubs in strongest pursuit of Uggla, according to major-league sources.

The Red Sox also have inquired, envisioning Uggla as a potential replacement for free agent Jason Bay in left field.

Uggla, 29, projects to earn approximately $8 million in arbitration. But in four major-league seasons, he has averaged 30 homers and 90 RBIs.

For the Giants, he would represent a more affordable addition than Bay or Matt Holliday. The Giants would play Uggla at third, Edgar Renteria at shortstop, Freddy Sanchez at second and Pablo Sandoval at first.

If Uggla went to the Orioles, he could replace free agent Melvin Mora at third base and also fill in at first base and DH.

The Orioles, awaiting the arrival of third-base prospect Josh Bell, do not want to block the position long-term. They also are concerned about Uggla's defense at third; their pitching is too weak for the team to give away outs. But the team would benefit from Uggla's right-handed power.

If the Marlins trade Uggla, they almost certainly will keep third baseman Jorge Cantu, who also is arbitration-eligible.

Cantu, 27, has driven in 195 runs the past two seasons and provides protection for shortstop Hanley Ramirez in the cleanup spot.

Emilio Bonifacio likely would replace Uggla at second, with top prospect Logan Morrison perhaps taking over at first.
              http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...he-GM-meetings

Uggla playing balls off the Monster? lol

Comment

Fucking Boner.

Comment

It's always nice to have Sabean involved. He may help prevent the Marlins from giving away Uggla for a shitty package.

Comment

"You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                      It's always nice to have Sabean involved. He may help prevent the Marlins from giving away Uggla for a shitty package.
                      Better yet, Sabean is the most likely person to give us good value in return for Cantu. Only in San Francisco could Cantu's offensive production be considered a plus.

An Uggla deal to San Fran would also not be bad. Consider what they gave for Freddy Sanchez, an inferior player with no surplus value in his contract at the time. Madison Baumgarner anyone?
                      Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                      Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                      Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

no way they trade madbum. none.

also I should make it clear that I love Cantu and would love to have him back, and I think he's worth $5 million, just not to a team like us. For us, we can find better ways to spend that money.

and why would bonifacio replace him and not coghlan. why why why why why
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

This sounds like the offseason when I become just an ambivalent supporter, kind of like the parent of the pregnant teenage girl. You still love her, you're just incredibly disappointed.

How we have such a good situation fall into our lap (first Uggla, then Coghlan) and try to screw it up multiple times in the same offseason just makes me sad.

If we can afford Cantu's $5 mil, trade Jorge and trade or non-tender Leo/Lindstrom, and presto changeo, there's Uggla's salary right there, and we're a much better team because of it.

I have problems dealing Uggla, but I understand why it probably needs to happen, I have serious problems with dealing Uggla yet keeping Cantu.

Comment

Due for a hefty pay raise, it was expected that the Marlins would measure interest for two-time All-Star Dan Uggla.

On Wednesday, a few possibilities emerged.

According to FoxSports.com, the Giants and Orioles have expressed interest in Uggla. The Red Sox reportedly also may be an option.

The Giants, the report said, may consider Uggla as an option to play third base. The thinking is Pablo Sandoval would swift from third to first base. Uggla has exclusively played second base in the big leagues, although he had some work at third base in the Minor Leagues in 2005.

If Uggla, who will see his salary raise from $5.35 million to around $7 million, is dealt, the Marlins may be more inclined to keep Jorge Cantu, according to the FoxSports.com.

The Red Sox would consider Uggla as an option for left field.

Look for the Nationals also to show interest in Uggla.

-- Joe Frisaro
                            http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...nto_uggla.html

I like Uggla to the natinals
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

Comment

Look for the Nationals also to show interest in Uggla.
                              Inquires into Uggla

Great. We can do another Olsen/Willingham trade with the Nats, this time using Lindstrom/Uggla. Maybe we can get another fast guy that can't hit for shit and a couple crappy pitchers.
                              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Natinals should trade Derek Norris for Uggla. They got Bryce Harper on the way so they shouldn't be greedy.
                                - Michael Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X