Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Discussion - Positions Players/Bench

They go for broke, I think we make the playoffs and with a top 2 of JJ and Nolasco, you'd have to think we're a threat to win it all. Hell, put Vanden Hurk at closer and I think we're a done deal. I don't see why they don't take the risk financially for 2010 knowing that if we're a huge letdown by say, ASB, we trade away the pieces and tell everyone to sit tight for the uber-cool new stadium.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Not sure where to put this as this is just flatly hypothetical speculation, because I'm bored of the Yankees winning, but

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that according to GM Doug Melvin and assistant Gord Ash, Casey McGehee "has taken the bull by the horns" with regard to the starting third base job in 2010.
    Melvin said that moving Mat Gamel to the outfield is not likely, suggesting that Gamel could potentially be dealt for a pitcher this offseason. McGehee hit .301 with 16 homers and 66 RBI in 355 at-bats this season and should be a cheap source of infield production in next year's drafts.

Rotoworld

Gamel hit at 22 years, .329/.396/.537/.932, 55/111 BB/K in 508 AB in AA, .278/.367/.473/.840, 38/89 BB/K in 273 AB in AAA this year, .237/.333/.404/.737, 16/47 BB/K in 114 AB in MLB this year, turns 24 in July next year. Is not great defensively, but his power and walk rate are both legit. Should really smack baseballs.

Why not offer them Dominguez, and say Leo Nunez? I know they just resigned Hoffman, but Leo could chill for a year as setup before taking over in 2011 as they'd still have his rights. While hooking them up with an almost as good prospect as Gamel to plug into 3B in 2 years. I know it's not a starter, but whose really going to give them a "Sean West" for him anyways. A proven Dan Uggla at 2B is barely going to get a Sean West.

Just saying, it makes sense to fast-forward 3B if we can. And if it costs Dominguez and a good reliever, so what.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      Not sure where to put this as this is just flatly hypothetical speculation, because I'm bored of the Yankees winning, but

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that according to GM Doug Melvin and assistant Gord Ash, Casey McGehee "has taken the bull by the horns" with regard to the starting third base job in 2010.
      Melvin said that moving Mat Gamel to the outfield is not likely, suggesting that Gamel could potentially be dealt for a pitcher this offseason. McGehee hit .301 with 16 homers and 66 RBI in 355 at-bats this season and should be a cheap source of infield production in next year's drafts.

Rotoworld

Gamel hit at 22 years, .329/.396/.537/.932, 55/111 BB/K in 508 AB in AA, .278/.367/.473/.840, 38/89 BB/K in 273 AB in AAA this year, .237/.333/.404/.737, 16/47 BB/K in 114 AB in MLB this year, turns 24 in July next year. Is not great defensively, but his power and walk rate are both legit. Should really smack baseballs.

Why not offer them Dominguez, and say Leo Nunez? I know they just resigned Hoffman, but Leo could chill for a year as setup before taking over in 2011 as they'd still have his rights. While hooking them up with an almost as good prospect as Gamel to plug into 3B in 2 years. I know it's not a starter, but whose really going to give them a "Sean West" for him anyways. A proven Dan Uggla at 2B is barely going to get a Sean West.

Just saying, it makes sense to fast-forward 3B if we can. And if it costs Dominguez and a good reliever, so what.
      isnt all the reports that Gamel is a complete butcher with the glove at 3rd base? like Miggy type?

Comment

Miggy was a complete butcher with the glove?

Comment

Miggy was serviceable defensively. If you ignore his first step, which really only comes into play on bunt coverage/slow rollers he was above average. Really soft hands, very strong arm.

Plus, 3B defense is so retardedly overrated. Yeah, those 4 or 5 diving do or die catches on a would be double/triple are so exciting, but your average MLB 3B gets as many chances as your left fielder. If you hide your worst defensive OF in left, stick a so so guy who can just slug at 3B. If the guy can't slug and is a sieve, then yeah, it's a mistake, but if he can hit, let him play 3B. Everyone tolerates the bad glove in left, think outside the box here, the chances are the same, the responsibilities are even less (I mean, how many times is there even a play at third base? Twice a week?).

Comment

Cabs was far from a butcher at 3B. I mean, c'mon.

Comment

Gamel would be cool, but with this FO's speed/defense obsession (even if they don't implement the defensive part well) I can't see them trading a guy with Dominguez's defensive upside for someone like Gamel, even though Gamel's the better prospect.

Comment

"Mets free agent outfielder Gary Sheffield (.276, 10 homers, 43 RBI) told Marlins players he wants to sign here, though it's a long shot at age 40. "It would be nice to finish my career with the Marlins. This is where I made a name for myself.''

via Miami Herald

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                  Miggy was serviceable defensively. If you ignore his first step, which really only comes into play on bunt coverage/slow rollers he was above average. Really soft hands, very strong arm.
                  Yeah; Cabrera had a GUN. It was amazing how effortlessly he would make those long throws to first from the other side of the diamond.
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Maybin View Post
                  "Mets free agent outfielder Gary Sheffield (.276, 10 homers, 43 RBI) told Marlins players he wants to sign here, though it's a long shot at age 40. "It would be nice to finish my career with the Marlins. This is where I made a name for myself.''

via Miami Herald
                  Eh, I don't know; do you guys think it would be worth the risk for a full season?
                  Last edited by m26555; 10-11-2009, 11:05 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

at a hometown discount sure.

Comment

In a millisecond.

Comment

Hell yessum, and it would force them to play Cogs at 2b.
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

yes please please please

he's always said that, and i think everyone knows if he gets elected he wants to go into the hall as a marlin and i think the committee would have to do that because he won his ws here, played the longest and some of the best here
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah, for Sheff's hall hat it comes down to us and the Dodgers. Obviously, we know which team he identifies with more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                              Hell yessum, and it would force them to play Cogs at 2b.
                              and force them to not start
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Working...
                              X