Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just not sure how trading Stanton for peanuts last offseason, and making it clear that it was 100% essential that his contract be off the books and then signing a guy to a similar contract a year later makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      I'm just not sure how trading Stanton for peanuts last offseason, and making it clear that it was 100% essential that his contract be off the books and then signing a guy to a similar contract a year later makes sense.
      It doesn't. Nor does it make sense to pay a guy $30M a year to "deface" the franchise by failing to hustle to first base.

On a different subject - it's funny how subjective fans can be. On talkingchop.com, a forum discusses a theoretical trade of Austin Riley and Mike Soroka to Miami for JT Realmuto. Almost all responders view such a deal as a massive overpay on Atlanta's part. To Miami fans, such an offer wouldn't even be a conversation starter.
      Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        I'm just not sure how trading Stanton for peanuts last offseason, and making it clear that it was 100% essential that his contract be off the books and then signing a guy to a similar contract a year later makes sense.
        Yeah, that's the confusing side to the argument......but when you compare them., Machado's deal (if the proposed 7/200 were it), would still be 70-85M less than Stantons, with 2-3 fewer years (the 3rd year and 15M difference represent Stanton's 2028 option year).

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Yeah, that's the confusing side to the argument......but when you compare them., Machado's deal (if the proposed 7/200 were it), would still be 70-85M less than Stantons, with 2-3 fewer years (the 3rd year and 15M difference represent Stanton's 2028 option year).
          Don't forget Manny is close to 3 years younger, plays a much harder position to get production from, and has basically out performed Stanton the last 4 years overall.

A "trade" of Stanton's contract for Guzman, Devers, and "Machado money" is a huge win if that is what happens.

I would be all in on signing Machado - and only Machado - from major free agents the next 2 seasons. He's perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            800-1 seems more realistic.

Miami does need a SS, and Lux of the Dodgers is a rapid riser that is blocked in LA if Seager is going to be healthy. Ruiz could fill Miami's catching need but is a long way from producing like JT - and the Dodgers are all in right now. It's just my opinion, but Lux, Ruiz and maybe LHP Ferguson seem like a great fit for Miami. Anyone see a better deal for JT?
            I think a lot of teams work better than the Dodgers. They need some cheap guys to mitigate against more expensive ones they spend on. Likewise, they are LA and will do some other major splash. Realmuto isn't that (even if among baseball folk, it is). Like trade for Stanton so the Yankees have all the monies for Bryce and Corbin (which I think will happen). That works out for everyone.

How about build a trade around the Rays farm system. They need a bat at catcher to put them over the top (they have literally everything else) and they are rolling 25 deep of players we'd want the Marlins to get. They have to come out firing from game 1 to deal with BOS/NYY and can't wait until the deadline. They know this, that's why they got Pham. Brendan McKay, Wander Franco, Ronaldo Hernandez. ACE, SS, and C. It'll take a few years, but the Marlins are a few years away so who cares. Throw in Conley too so they can throw all the relievers.

The A's also have an elite catcher prospect (Murphy) and a variety of arms and SS in their systems to do the same thing. Realmuto is a huge win now move for them and they can send over depth they don't necessarily need. They'd be smart enough to sign him for 5 years. Their fans also talked about how Murphy is untouchable for everyone in baseball at the deadline, except Realmuto. They get it. I agree with them.

Comment

• i agree with nick. the "Face of the franchise" thing is incredibly overrated. Winning is what matters. Especially in such an individual sport masquerading as a team sport like baseball where the best player on your team is infinitely less valuable/impactful than a sport like basketball or maybe even QB's in football

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                Don't forget Manny is close to 3 years younger, plays a much harder position to get production from, and has basically out performed Stanton the last 4 years overall.

A "trade" of Stanton's contract for Guzman, Devers, and "Machado money" is a huge win if that is what happens.

I would be all in on signing Machado - and only Machado - from major free agents the next 2 seasons. He's perfect.
                This.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

And if he does need to play 3rd base, you can shift Anderson to the outfield.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  i agree with nick. the "Face of the franchise" thing is incredibly overrated. Winning is what matters. Especially in such an individual sport masquerading as a team sport like baseball where the best player on your team is infinitely less valuable/impactful than a sport like basketball or maybe even QB's in football
                  Wouldn't that be the other way around then?

Comment

• Apparently Relmuto’s agent was on MLBNetwork radio saying that JT won’t be signing an extension and he expects he’ll be traded.

Comment

• yup, there goes any leverage we had. Stanton all over again.

@jonmorosi

NEWS: Jeff Berry, agent with @CAA_Baseball, on @MLBNetworkRadio just now regarding client J.T. Realmuto: “I think he will definitely be wearing a different uniform by the start of spring training.” Berry made clear that Realmuto won’t sign an extension with #Marlins. @MLB
                      https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...66919131660288

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm absolutely convinced now that we are going to get a garbage package rather than the franchise-altering one that he should be deserving of.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• This doesn’t hurt the Marlins leverage. They have him under control for 2 more years. They have the player teams want and are under no obligation to trade him.

Comment

• Atlanta, Mets, Nats, Rays, Brewers, Astros, Rockies, Diamonbacks, Oakland, Angels and Dodgers. There's a quick 11 possible competitors for JT. Leverage galore. And possibly the Yankees.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                            This doesn’t hurt the Marlins leverage. They have him under control for 2 more years. They have the player teams want and are under no obligation to trade him.
                            They're also under no obligation to trade him.

Also, I doubt the Marlins have even made their offer yet. Cart before the horse, buddy (the agent)?

Comment

• These agents continue to do this stupid shit despite the fact that it makes us less likely to trade them because it hurts our leverage. He will still get dealt but this bullshit power play move stuff does not work. You do it quietly if you actually want a trade to come to fruition

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                These agents continue to do this stupid shit despite the fact that it makes us less likely to trade them because it hurts our leverage. He will still get dealt but this bullshit power play move stuff does not work. You do it quietly if you actually want a trade to come to fruition
                                I don't follow a word of this. The entire world (almost) knew that Realmuto wanted out of Miami. Lots of teams want him and the Marlins will get at least a couple players who will instantly top their prospect list.

Comment

Working...
                                X