This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    That certainly sounds like a Mike Hill line about championship-caliber starters.

---

As for "now is not the time"......it's now or never. You offer it, and make him decline it. And if he does, shout from the rooftops what you offered him (after inevitably trading him) so that people realize it's not just a firesale move - "we offered him X-years for X-dollars, he turned us down, we wanted to receive full value for him and do what's best long-term for our organization." They can control the narrative, but they have to do it, and not just stay silent. That said, no matter what they do, everyone will think firesale anyway given our history.
    ya mike hill was the first thing i thought when i read that.

Comment

• Bold prediction: Jeter will do a C- job handling the public relations aspect of the hypothetical JT trade.

Comment

• Rays got Zunino, so that stinks as they have a perfect farm for Realmuto.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
        That certainly sounds like a Mike Hill line about championship-caliber starters.
        Yes and ignoring that that comment is ridiculous, I find the names telling.

They want Alcantara, Guzman, Urena, Neidert, and Pablo as the rotation (ignoring the lack of lefties there), with Gallen the fallback if presumably Guzman ends in the bullpen. It's honestly probably a fair assessment of who the best arms are internally (ignoring the Rogers/younger group).

Richards and Ca. Smith could be weapons out of the bullpen. The Yankees are built strongly on their bullpen. Chuck in Steckenrider, presumably Guzman who ends up there, Chen can move to the pen in 2020, and they are likely to get at least 1 above average guy from the Yamamoto/GuzmanGuerrero/Brigham/Merandy/Peters/Garcia/Hernandez/crew, and you're looking pretty good if you plop the "ace" on top of that in 2020. Or, an ace + a SP you get for Realmuto which pushes someone else into the bullpen.

The pitching is really going to be fine here longterm once they can add 1 FA SP somewhere in 20/21.

They need a Manny.

Comment

• Ya TB got Zunino and LAA are going hard after Wilson Ramos and Grandal

JT market will get hot once FA sign

Comment

• I see that being the other way around. Especially because Grandal requires giving up a draft pick. Grandal and Ramos will sign after JT is traded.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              I see that being the other way around. Especially because Grandal requires giving up a draft pick. Grandal and Ramos will sign after JT is traded.
              Grandal costs 1st or 2nd Rd draft pick while JT would cost 2 or 3 1st or 2nd Rd Picks(Talent Wise)

LAA/Mets/Houston are looking at them both. LAA/NYM cant afford JT

Comment

• Jon Heyman of Fancred hears that free agent Marwin Gonzalez has already drawn interest from "everyone but one team." - Rotoworld

Just say the Marlins man

Comment

• There is no more laughable line than "The Marlins view right-handers José Ureña, Sandy Alcantara and Pablo Lopez as championship-caliber starters."

Not even the team believes that. C'mon now.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    There is no more laughable line than "The Marlins view right-handers José Ureña, Sandy Alcantara and Pablo Lopez as championship-caliber starters."

Give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they mean 4-5-6th SP? I can buy that. That would look pretty solid after Kluber, Carrasco, and Bauer!

Comment

• I actually do think all 3 of those guys can be #3's/#4's at worst.

- - - - - - - - - -

Trade Straily and if enough guys perform in spring just bring chen out of the bullpen. Or including straily in a JT deal makes a ton of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                        There is no more laughable line than "The Marlins view right-handers José Ureña, Sandy Alcantara and Pablo Lopez as championship-caliber starters."

It's a statement that literally means nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                          This. They should have a preference not to move him within the division, and if all things are equal, you don't. But you also have to take the best deal, and if that's Washington or Atlanta, you pull the trigger without hesitation.
                          100% right you weigh the options & if the best deal is in the division, so be it.....what has to be done, has to be done. Things change too....JT could go to Washington & then not get a deal done amd they trade him elsewhere. It's not likely but could happen

Comment

• Boras issued some press that he's taking everyone to free agency just to mention. It was in relation to JD opting out (so Lee, he will in fact NOT be a deal shortly) and Xander wants to test free agency. I think that's a good thing for the Marlins.

So, if they whiff on Manny because they don't want to spend whatever that is going to be this year, they may have a shot at a 27 year old Xander. In his age 22-25 year seasons, he has 4.6, 4.8, 3.2, and 4.9 WARs. Very awesome. It gives them at least a chance at a great longterm position player entering their prime in 2020. He's from Aruba so I guess that's some draw for Miami?

Manny and Xander are really all thats coming next 3 seasons besides Bryce and Arenado who aren't as likely to want to go to Miami (and will be the more expensive 2 of the 4 I assume).

They gotta go all in on these two.

Comment

• Barry Jackson said in his latest piece that Realmuto would consider 5 years 100 million but that the marlins initial offer was not that high.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                Boras issued some press that he's taking everyone to free agency just to mention. It was in relation to JD opting out (so Lee, he will in fact NOT be a deal shortly) and Xander wants to test free agency. I think that's a good thing for the Marlins.

So, if they whiff on Manny because they don't want to spend whatever that is going to be this year, they may have a shot at a 27 year old Xander. In his age 22-25 year seasons, he has 4.6, 4.8, 3.2, and 4.9 WARs. Very awesome. It gives them at least a chance at a great longterm position player entering their prime in 2020. He's from Aruba so I guess that's some draw for Miami?

Manny and Xander are really all thats coming next 3 seasons besides Bryce and Arenado who aren't as likely to want to go to Miami (and will be the more expensive 2 of the 4 I assume).

They gotta go all in on these two.
                                Figure out a way to snag Jazz Chisholm from the Dbacks. He's from Nassau, which is closer. 25 hr in A and A+ ball last season. AZ signed him for $200K. Read today that he is about to vault into top 50 prospects.
                                Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X