Tracking Miami Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    Some people are like that - I had a friend in high school who had a lot of gray hair popping up
    Ive got a family history of going fully gray by 30 and my 27 year old brother is fairly gray. Im holding out with just 2 gray hairs at 24. Just thought it was weird that it has seemingly gone untalked about. Guy is rivaling Cuttino Mobley as random guys going fully gray way too early for anyone who has any idea what im talking about with that reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      His K rate has impressed me the most out of anything. We have a logjam of mid rotation guys who pitch to contact more than swing and miss guys, so k'ing more guys could be what allows him to stand out or at the very least have a long term future here out of the bullpen. Not that they have much in common stuff wise, but I could see him having a Wittgren type tenure with us (moreso before this year) as a very useful cost controlled middle reliever.

I hadnt really watched him and his stuff as closely as I would like so hearing that his changeup could grade out as a 70-80 type pitch really impresses me.

Also, can anyone tell me why the hell he has gray hair?
      I can't help with the hair, but I don't think we're looking at the same thing. Why would you want to take our best starter and slot him into the pen? If the season ended today, Richards goes into spring as our ace, and it's pretty clear-cut. He has all the feel and command Urena doesn't (Urena btw, is the guy I could see slotted into a short relief role).

My rotation moving forward would be something on the order of:
      Richards
      Lopez
      Brigham
      Straily
      Chen (only because his contract)

Comment

• You forgot Caleb Smith. He’s better than all of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          You forgot Caleb Smith. He’s better than all of them.
          He won't be ready by spring, but I do like him a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finsanity View Post
            I can't help with the hair, but I don't think we're looking at the same thing. Why would you want to take our best starter and slot him into the pen? If the season ended today, Richards goes into spring as our ace, and it's pretty clear-cut. He has all the feel and command Urena doesn't (Urena btw, is the guy I could see slotted into a short relief role).

Richards
            Lopez
            Brigham
            Straily
            The fact that Nick Neidert isn't listed here is bad. He's clearly the team's future ace. Straily won't be around long term and the team is gonna eat Chen's contract eventually. This is closer to the team's 2020 rotation (which is the real long term group)

Nick Neidert
            Sandy Alcantara
            Trevor Richards
            Pablo Lopez
            Caleb Smith (not arbitration eligible until 2021)

Zac Gallen is the next guy in line for whoever falls off. Other guys in the conversation include Jose Urena, Dillon Peters/Jarlin Garcia (both guys who would've been considered locks for the future rotation in April but have fallen off a cliff this year), and Merandy Gonzalez.

The pitchers with high potential beyond the year 2020 include Jorge Guzman, Trevor Rogers, and Braxton Garrett. Guzman is by far the most polished of this group and has top end potential. A good 2019 in AA and he's easily moved into the 2020 conversation.

Marlins have a good deal of options for pitchers moving forward. Even if a couple guys with high risk such as Alcantara or a Jorge Guzman bust out for whatever reason, the team still has a great deal of safe options like Lopez and Gallen who are easy to project as middle of the rotation guys for the foreseeable future. Team needs to figure out the lineup situation because pitching wise they have done well.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
              The fact that Nick Neidert isn't listed here is bad. He's clearly the team's future ace. Straily won't be around long term and the team is gonna eat Chen's contract eventually. This is closer to the team's 2020 rotation (which is the real long term group)

Nick Neidert
              Sandy Alcantara
              Trevor Richards
              Pablo Lopez
              Caleb Smith (not arbitration eligible until 2021)

Zac Gallen is the next guy in line for whoever falls off. Other guys in the conversation include Jose Urena, Dillon Peters/Jarlin Garcia (both guys who would've been considered locks for the future rotation in April but have fallen off a cliff this year), and Merandy Gonzalez.

The pitchers with high potential beyond the year 2020 include Jorge Guzman, Trevor Rogers, and Braxton Garrett. Guzman is by far the most polished of this group and has top end potential. A good 2019 in AA and he's easily moved into the 2020 conversation.

Marlins have a good deal of options for pitchers moving forward. Even if a couple guys with high risk such as Alcantara or a Jorge Guzman bust out for whatever reason, the team still has a great deal of safe options like Lopez and Gallen who are easy to project as middle of the rotation guys for the foreseeable future. Team needs to figure out the lineup situation because pitching wise they have done well.
              Brigham's AAA numbers are better than Neidert's AA line, and his AA number's are WAY better. If you're a guy who puts more credence on on-field performance than phantom prospect rankings, which I am... Brigham looks to be the better prospect. If Neidert continues to improve and he can supplant someone, we'll be all the better for it. As for Alcantara... He walks guys like a power pitcher, but he sure doesn't strike people out like you'd expect a power arm to.

Comment

• Holy shit you just said JEFF BRIGHAM is a better prospect than Nick Neidert.

Please shut up. You are hurting yourself.

- - - - - - - - - -

I usually try to stay nice, but holy crap that's a new low for stupidest comment I've seen on this board. My god.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just a reminder that you still have an opportunity to delete the above post. Save yourself.

Comment

• Is that lee stones burner account?

Comment

• Originally posted by Finsanity View Post
                    He won't be ready by spring, but I do like him a lot.
                    I'm fairly sure I read that Smith should be ready for spring training.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                      I'm fairly sure I read that Smith should be ready for spring training.
                      I think he will as well from the initial report of his diagnosis, but in fairness to that guy we are almost always wrong on those initial diagnosis

Comment

• I think Brigham gets his shot for a spot in the rotation at some point for sure, but the dood has to stay healthy. He's been great the last two seasons, but both seasons have been severely injury shortened. Plus before this season, his numbers outside of pitching in pitcher's paradise Jupiter, we're not that great, and even his overall numbers at Jupiter weren't eye-popping. He looks to be putting it all together this season, but he's gotta stay healthy and maintain what he's doing for longer than 70 innings. Meanwhile, Neidert is the model of consistency at every single stop he's been to and is only 21 years old, 5 years younger than Brigham this isn't even a question who is the better prospect.

Comment

• Do we really think that Neidert is a FUTURE ACE, though? I’m not being snarky. I’m genuinely curious.

Comment

• No I don't, I think he's a 3, who's at worst a 4, but could possibly become a 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                              No I don't, I think he's a 3, who's at worst a 4, but could possibly become a 2.
                              That's about right to me. I think he's got the best chance to be a top of the rotation arm out of all the guys in the minors. Or at least the upper minors.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                Is that lee stones burner account?
                                I mean seriously. Brigham is 5 years older than Neidert, and Neidert is having a radically better AA season (which Brigham has never really done).

Brigham is a reliever if he makes it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                No I don't, I think he's a 3, who's at worst a 4, but could possibly become a 2.
                                I would say a 3/4, but maybe this spike this year is real. I'll be happy either way.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Finsanity View Post

Richards
                                Lopez
                                Brigham
                                Straily
                                First, a lot is dependent on the final 2 months and what guys do.

Second, there are no aces (or # 2s) here. An ace is an ace, its not just anoiting that term to whoever the best pitcher is.

Urena is having a very significant GB%/K% spike this year. If that holds, and ticks up even a little, he might become deceptively really good. You don't abandon that at all for those other names at this point. He is a proven back end starter and does have some upside with the GB/K/etc. spikes. Let him throw and reassess if things fall apart.

Caleb Smith and Richards are locks with what they are showing. Assuming Richards doesn't fall apart here on out. Then it gets murkier.

Straily - Seniority, assuming they keep him second highest paid pitcher next to Chen, he should be a solid 4
                                Chen - Makes the money
                                Alcantara - top prospect/upside
                                Lopez - Could be a solid high floor back end starter
                                Peters - Probably going to AAA
                                Neidert - No sense calling up until after Super2 in June
                                Gallen - Same as above
                                Brigham - Is a reliever prospect by all accounts

I think it's easy to kick out Peters, Gallen, and Neidert here and see what they are doing next summer. That leaves 2 spots for the other 4.

I think they'll trade Straily because they don't need him. They have 7-8 organizational viable SP here, not including Neidert and if Gallen holds up as a starter.

Pure camp competition Chen/Alcantara/Lopez, also based on the end of this year. I can see Chen or Alcantara being moved to the pen as the "loser" and if Pablo loses, goes to AAA. It doesn't matter though as the team's 6th and 7th SP probably throw 40+ games when injuries inevitably happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X