No announcement yet.

Opening Day Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The entire point of the rebuild in terms of building depth is that prospects have a large fail rate and that we had nothing in the organization so we needed to build back the depth and just hope 2-4 of them pan out long term and that would be a major win.

- - - - - - - - - -

But to elaborate, i really like a lot of those guys we have acquired. Best case scenario is 2 of them develop into top of the rotation guys while another 2-3 are competent major league rotation pieces and you have a really good chance to make this a quick rebuild because you have a really solid rotation under team control for a while to go along with position players like Brinson, Anderson, and maybe JT for the next 3 years or possibly long term and then also other potential starters from the position player prospects like Diaz, Harrison, Sierra, Devers, Torres, Miller, Nelson, Dunand and then if you get a really solid core of team controlled guys ideally you can sprinkle in smart free agent signings to fill other holes rather than our previous strategy of not developing prospects and then making stupid free agent signings on average players for star money.

Whether it works out is an entirely different question, but im a process first guy rather than a results first guy and for the first time in over a decade we are finally going about building this roster in a way that is sustainable for the market and is smart from a business of baseball perspective.

Comment

Can someone explain Braxton Lee making the team to me? This will be even more inexplicable once we see that Maybin is starting every day and Lee is coming off the bench.

Comment

Quick look at today's lineup:
        Brinson - not an ideal leadoff guy (low walks and big K's) but nobody else is an ideal fit either
        DD - seems logical
        Castro - I'm convinced this is a poor fit. Propensity to hit DP ground balls. I'd have Anderson there right now.
        Bour - just plain stupid to hit him fourth vs. Lester. He should be on the bench for this one with Cooper in this spot
        Anderson - see above. 9W to 11K in spring ... nice
        Cooper - sure don't like him in OF.
        Rojas - a weakness for sure (SS is the team's biggest need ... of many)
        Wallach - a gift to his dad, Marlin coach Tim Wallach
        Urena - his W/K numbers suggest that he was fortunate to have a sub-4 ERA last season. I see a drop off for him this seasn - at least 4.50 ERA

Go Marlins!

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Can someone explain Braxton Lee making the team to me? This will be even more inexplicable once we see that Maybin is starting every day and Lee is coming off the bench.
        I sure can't.

Comment

Bour had an .827 OPS against lefties last year. He needs to be starting every day.

- - - - - - - - - -

and BBs (Base on Balls) Lee Stone not Ws. Ws are wins.

Comment

Bour had an .827 OPS against lefties last year. He needs to be starting every day.

- - - - - - - - - -

and BBs (Base on Balls) Lee Stone not Ws. Ws are wins.
            Lester is brutal on LHB. 5BB vs. 58K last season. .205 BAA. Bour can hit some LHP - not this one.

Comment

Has the Opening Day Roster been finalized?

The Bench makes no sense to me. (Telis, Holaday, Lee, Maybin, and did they ever decide between Mooney and Adames?) I guess Van Slyke is DFA'd? Guy seemed like the perfect bench guy for what we're doing this year plus he had a good spring.

Comment

I think it's a 40 man issue where they can't add a ton of guys just to DFA them in a few weeks (as everyone is "almost" healthy and coming back quickish).

I see him going back to the minors for everyday time in 2 weeks.

- - - - - - - - - -

BBs (Base on Balls) Lee Stone not Ws. Ws are wins.
                YES PLEASE

- - - - - - - - - -

The Bench makes no sense to me. (Telis, Holaday, Lee, Maybin, and did they ever decide between Mooney and Adames?) I guess Van Slyke is DFA'd? Guy seemed like the perfect bench guy for what we're doing this year plus he had a good spring.
                They picked Rivera over Mooney and Adames

Comment

Didn't they have to add Holaday and Wallach to the 40-man?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  I think it's a 40 man issue where they can't add a ton of guys just to DFA them in a few weeks (as everyone is "almost" healthy and coming back quickish).

I see him going back to the minors for everyday time in 2 weeks.

- - - - - - - - - -

YES PLEASE

- - - - - - - - - -

They picked Rivera over Mooney and Adames
                  lol ok, these guys are interchangeable.

Comment

Didn't they have to add Holaday and Wallach to the 40-man?

- - - - - - - - - -

They totally are. This is a stupid roster crunch just because a half dozen guys are hurt, they do need to protect a few guys on the 40 man, and the herd will be culled shortly.

Comment

pretty much broadly sums up the whole roster

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                        pretty much broadly sums up the whole roster
                        Yep. The march to August 1st begins when we see what the new trade assets look like and who among all the kids wants to have a job.

Comment

With a healthy Realmuto I don't think our lineup is the worst in the league. I don't think the bullpen will be bad either. That's about the extent of the positives I can say.

Comment

With a healthy Realmuto I don't think our lineup is the worst in the league. I don't think the bullpen will be bad either. That's about the extent of the positives I can say.
                            I agree. You can make a case the entire position starter core is a 2 WAR starter. Rojas legit can get there with the defense, Anderson got a 2 WAR pick from a FG author, Brinson should get their on defense and random jacks, everyone else is a fairly solid MLB player with some real upside with Dietrich, Castro, Bour, and even a healthy Maybin hitting.... bullpen is going to be objectively pretty good if they stay healthy and don't get over worked.

The rotation might be the worst I've seen in a decade though, and that's with Straily.

I think if they intended to keep everyone, it's probably 95 losses. Once the purge happens, it's going to scale back to 105 quick.

Comment

id give the marlins roster a break from complaints for a week until most of these guys come back. I think a lot of the decisions were based on the realization that this roster is just a thing for a week until these guys come back and therefore they wanted to just put as many of these guys as possible on the 40 man roster on the opening day roster just to keep from having to DFA too many guys when its only gonna be a week.

Comment

He is on the 40 man and they needed players.

- - - - - - - - - -

SVS is same player as Cooper however SVS is not on the 40 man. The injury thing screwed up the bench-we have 4 guys coming back within 10 days and the minor leagues don't start till next Thurs

Holaday or Wallach will be DFA by Sun to make space for Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X