Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
    They just did it today.
    You think Logan Morrison is a .700 OPS guy?

LoMo should be an .800+ OPS guy who gets on base, has good plate discipline and develops 20 home run a season power.

I don't think 2011-2013 showing is what LoMo really is as a player, but maybe he's regressed to the point where that's all he's worth. I still think there's untapped potential there.
    --------------------
    Adam Conley for Rickie Weeks would NOT make me a happy camper.

Dunn or Ruggiano is whatever, although I'd like Ruggiano to platoon at some position for us next season.
    Last edited by dim; 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post

LoMo should be an .800+ OPS guy who gets on base, has good plate discipline and develops 20 home run a season power.

I don't think 2011-2013 showing is what LoMo really is as a player, but maybe he's regressed to the point where that's all he's worth. I still think there's untapped potential there.
      --------------------
      Adam Conley for Rickie Weeks would NOT make me a happy camper.

Dunn or Ruggiano is whatever, although I'd like Ruggiano to platoon at some position for us next season.
      Even if Lomo does become an .800 .OPS guy, he's really not all that valuable. He's just so terrible at everything else and that's if he even does that again.

As for the rest, I hope we don't trade Conley for Weeks either. I'd like to have Weeks depending on the return though.

Comment

• Shane Miller @ShaneMiller27
        A source close to Rickie Weeks told me yesterday that Weeks would be willing to change positions if traded to his home town #Marlins
        --------------------
        Almost every MLB reporter I follow on twitter is freaking out because David Samson is singing karaoke at the winter meetings right now.
        Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-11-2013, 09:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
          Even if Lomo does become an .800 .OPS guy, he's really not all that valuable. He's just so terrible at everything else and that's if he even does that again.

As for the rest, I hope we don't trade Conley for Weeks either. I'd like to have Weeks depending on the return though.
          I like an .800 OPS LoMo that gets on base.

I know 1st base should 99% be reserved for power hitters who can OPS .830 or higher, but if LoMo could just channel his old minors style and get on base at something like a .360-370 clip, he becomes valuable even with so little power and no defense.

And LoMo is god awful at defense, but at 1st base I think you can easily hide a defensive liability like LoMo.

I'm probably just living the pipe dream of what I (and a ton of people) expected of Morrison coming out of the minors, but it still feels like giving up on the guy just a season too early. If Morrison would've faltered or gotten injured in 2013, then I would've accepted for a fact that Morrison probably would never reach that potential. But with most of the last three seasons being injury plagued, I'd love to have given Morrison one last chance, especially during a season where there isn't any obviously better 1st base alternative (including Jones) and we're not really competing for anything other than pride.

Comment

I like an .800 OPS LoMo that gets on base.

I know 1st base should 99% be reserved for power hitters who can OPS .830 or higher, but if LoMo could just channel his old minors style and get on base at something like a .360-370 clip, he becomes valuable even with so little power and no defense.

And LoMo is god awful at defense, but at 1st base I think you can easily hide a defensive liability like LoMo.

I'm probably just living the pipe dream of what I (and a ton of people) expected of Morrison coming out of the minors, but it still feels like giving up on the guy just a season too early. If Morrison would've faltered or gotten injured in 2013, then I would've accepted for a fact that Morrison probably would never reach that potential. But with most of the last three seasons being injury plagued, I'd love to have given Morrison one last chance, especially during a season where there isn't any obviously better 1st base alternative (including Jones) and we're not really competing for anything other than pride.

Morrison has already put up good offensive years in the big leagues. Based on his WAR those years, he still wasn't all that valuable because he's absolutely terrible defensively.

He's a one-dimensional player and the one dimension isn't very good either.

His upside is becoming the next Garrett Jones.

Comment

• Weeks is god awful in the field. Makes the hard plays and makes easy plays seem hard.

Comment

• Shane Miller @ShaneMiller27
                A Ruggiano and Dunn for Weeks and cash makes a lot of sense for both teams. #Marlins #Brewers
                Just speculation on his part but I would like that. Considering the crappy options for 3B out there. If the Marlins managed to get the Brewers to give a decent amount of cash in a trade to see if Weeks would pan out at 3B then I hope that happens.

Comment

I don't think 2011-2013 showing is what LoMo really is
                  "Forget what he did the most recent 3 years in the Majors, he's more similar to what he did in the 4 years prior in the minors"

Fact remains, during the 3 full years you mentioned that he played in the majors, he's put up a .747 OPS and an OPS+ of 103. So he's been almost exactly league average. Over 1200 plate appearances. In the major leagues.

Injury or not, that kind of tells me who he "really is"

Bottom line, kid had upside, didn't pan out. Maybe he finds it in Seattle. Maybe the Marlins should have just let him get on base instead of forcing him into a run producing hole in the lineup. But 1200 appearances of league-average production is all we have to show after the nice flash he showed over the stint in 2010.
                  --------------------
                  Also regarding his 2010 that caused people to think he's incredible: his BABIP in August was .387, .340 in September.
                  --------------------
                  Also I found this stat fun: he's 12th among active players in errors committed as a LFer, despite playing less than two full seasons' worth (240 games) out there.
                  Last edited by emkayseven; 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources confirm that #Yankees turned down #Reds’ offer of 2B Brandon Phillips for OF Brett Gardner, as first reported by @jonheyman.
                    Twitter

I think Dunn/Ruggiano is too much for Weeks. Look what Reds are asking for Phillips; albeit, he has more years left in his contract and Gardner is a better overall player than Ruggs.

If we trade Dunn, who takes over his role alongside Jennings?
                    Last edited by Big Z; 12-11-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• I'm on board with that Weeks deal. Especially if they pay a good chunk of the deal.

Comment

• So he makes $11MM in 2014, and has an $11.5MM team option for 2015, which can be voided if he does not make 600 plate appearances in 2014 or 1,200 plate appearances over 2013-2014 combined, per baseball reference.

Weeks had 399 plate appearances in 2013.

Wonder if they make him cut those dreads.
                        Last edited by Big Z; 12-11-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• 1. Furcal, 2b (don't think he should hit here, but he will)
                          2. Yelich, lf
                          3. Stanton, rf
                          4. Jones, 1b
                          5. Salty, c
                          6. Weeks, 3b
                          7. Ozuna or Marisnick, cf
                          8. Hech, ss

I feel like that's not bad. It's not good either, but within the artificial restrictions they've placed on themselves, it's not bad.

The biggest issue is lefties neutralize our 4-5 hitters. Figure Weeks probably hits cleanup vs. lefties (he has better career numbers vs. them too). I wish we'd unload Dobbs and sign Mark Reynolds.

Comment

He hasn't been an .800+ OPS guy since the All-Star break in 2011. That's nearly 930 PA's.
                            --------------------
                            .267/.342/.436 through 1438 PAs. 44 HR, 134 BB, 325 K, 2.1 WAR (BR)
                            .249/.337/.427 through 1479 PAs. 42 HR, 164 BB, 264 K, -0.1 WAR (BR)

One of those is Jeremy Hermida through four seasons. The other is Logan Morrison. Hermida was a year younger.

So, yeah, might not work out. Maybe it does. But...
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            poop

Comment

• I like what emkayseven had to say a few posts ago about Lomo. His productivity as MARLIN was nothing but average offensively, and subpar defensively (not to mention his big mouth and all the the baggage - I think he's lazy too, but that's just my humble opinion). He will very likely be used in a much different role in SEA both offensively and defensively, so even if he improves his output somewhat, and manages to be lets say 15% better than what his averages were here, I don't think that necessarily means we lost with him. Sometimes a change of scenery and use matters to a player's production. Maybe always. I firmly believe Lomo wasn't ever going to be, FOR US, the player we hoped he would be. Maybe he taps into it a little more somewhere else. Irrespective of that potential future, moving him now was the right thing to do. Someone said they wanted to see him for one more year, but guys like this (giving you some flash here and there, coupled with injury that makes you think they would be so good if they were healthy) seem perpetually glued to our conscience as "the guy we drafted and have high hopes for." Can't hang on to them forever. We got good value for something of little value to us.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                              1. Furcal, 2b (don't think he should hit here, but he will)
                              2. Yelich, lf
                              3. Stanton, rf
                              4. Jones, 1b
                              5. Salty, c
                              6. Weeks, 3b
                              7. Ozuna or Marisnick, cf
                              8. Hech, ss

I feel like that's not bad. It's not good either, but within the artificial restrictions they've placed on themselves, it's not bad.

The biggest issue is lefties neutralize our 4-5 hitters. Figure Weeks probably hits cleanup vs. lefties (he has better career numbers vs. them too). I wish we'd unload Dobbs and sign Mark Reynolds.
                              If we can field this lineup without giving up ANY young starters... Wow! I would be very pleased. Though instead of Reynolds I would prefer Young for our bench, assuming similar or equal pay.
                              Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Hey TJ, do you have glasses and a goatee?
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X