Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
    I like the Lomo trade. Our pitching depth is amazing right now. Definitely frees us up even more to deal Cishek for young talent. I'm also glad we haven't moved any starters. So far I have to give the FO an A on what they've been able to do. Smart moves which have long term vision. But as for next season, I don't see our offense being good enough to make us at least a 500 team, which I think is plausible with our pitching. How I see the lineup as of now:

Furcal
    Yelich
    Jones
    Stanton
    Salty
    Ozuna/Marisnick (?)
    Dietrich/Solano/Lucas (?) - 3B
    Hech

I would really like to see us bring in Young or Chavez if either are willing to do a one year deal for under $4mil. Maybe we can also get some average return for Ruggiano. Now is certainly the best time to trade him. He was very up and down last year, and he doesn't figure to see our field much next season in the current state of affairs.
    That seems odd to say when you had said this in the other thread.

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
    This is horrible. He's 23 but his line is not good at all. I wouldn't want this coming out of our pen:

59 innings, 73 hits, 37 runs, 12 HRs, 23
    BBs, 1.627 WHIP

Comment

• Hermer pls

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
      I like the idea of taking a flier on Young at first. Also a big fan of Rugg. That would be a decent rotation at first I suppose.

I have convinced myself that this is actually a pretty damn good deal. We essentially traded our unwanted crap for their top BP prospect and saved money doing so.

y u do dis?

Comment

• I think you have to trade Cishek for a longterm answer at 1B or 2B(who can handle a lot of 3B this year) right now. Makes a ton of sense.

Comment

• Homer:

My first split second reaction to the trade was negative because I wasn't expecting a reliever in return, and Capps 2013 stats look pretty bad. But after looking at more info - namely his pitching arsenal, minor league stats, age, Height/weight, and high regard among young relievers - I see this as a very good move for us. Our bullpen looks stellar at the moment, backing up really good young starting pitchers. Instead of filling in short term holes, we added to our strength (young pitching depth) and saved over $1mil in doing so.

Good move by the FO, in my opinion.
          --------------------
          Lomo was an underperforming, oft injured, unmotivated loud mouth, and I'm happy to see him gone.
          Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
            I think you have to trade Cishek for a longterm answer at 1B or 2B(who can handle a lot of 3B this year) right now. Makes a ton of sense.
            That would be very un-Marlins like. They haven't traded a player when they're value was equal or above what their playing ability was since the Dan Uggla trade.

I do agree that either now or in July is the perfect time to trade Cishek. I'd personally keep him until the July trade deadline. Teams suffering from a poor bullpen will throw some MUCH better prospects at the Marlins if Cishek is putting up another sub 3 ERA season than the team would get right now. Desperate teams make for more desperate offers.

Comment

• Cishek has 4 years of control, I don't think the difference in package varies now to deadline.

It would also save $3.5 mil and maybe that could be invested into another infielder for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                They haven't traded a player when they're value was equal or above what their playing ability was since the Dan Uggla trade.
                They just did it today.

Comment

• Just a side thought about the majority of moves we've made in the past year: there is a definite underlying direction / strategical underpinning to all the moves - they've been made in concert with one another. This is something I can't say we've had maybe ever. The moves seem tailored to a 3 to 5 year window rather than a "win now" or "sell off all" mentality. It's refreshing and I'm hopeful for the next few years if we continue along this path.
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• So this might still be a thing:

Chris Cotillo @ChrisCotillo
                    Hearing buzz of #Marlins interest in Rickie Weeks. #Brewers

Comment

• Why???

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        So this might still be a thing:
                        Maybe Chris is a couple of days late lol.

I like Weeks and I believe he's coming off an injury, with 2 years (?) left on his contract.

He has a lot of upside, and may not cost too much. If he's willing to play 3B, I'll take him.

Comment

• Weeks > available 3B. Not sure how he'll be defensively, but whatever. He has upside. I'll take him.

Comment

• Shane Miller @ShaneMiller27
                            Source: Justin ruggiano, mike Dunn, and Adam Conley all being thrown around in Rickie Weeks talks. #Marlins #Brewers
                            --------------------
                            I would assume MIL would throw cash in the deal since Weeks contract isn't exactly cheap.
                            Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-11-2013, 08:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'm ok with trading Conley and Rugg. Kinda wanna hold on Dunn though.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Hopefully it's not Conley.

Comment

Working...
                                X