Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maholm can't hit lefties either.

Also, I feel like he left ", but are not." off that tweet.

Comment

• Is the Marlins front office the only one that relies on counting stats to make decisions?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mia....&vkey=news_mia

"I think, ultimately, we felt as a group that we needed to upgrade. That six home runs and 36 RBIs, that just wasn't going to get us to where we wanted to go. We felt in Garrett Jones -- a proven, consistent producer -- anywhere from 15 to 27 home runs on an annual basis was a better fit for us moving forward. So we went in that direction."

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the majority of the moves made this offseason. It hasn't been great, but it also hasn't been bad and I think the team has improved (not that that's saying much either to be fair).

Either way, how do you evaluate players like this? Do they really think that Morrison is only capable of 6 HR's/36 RBI's? Also, there's a pretty big difference between 15 HR's and 27 HR's on the Garrett Jones evaluation.

They are not good at explaining these things and it makes them look even dumber.
      --------------------
      Originally posted by Hugg View Post
      Maholm can't hit lefties either.

Also, I feel like he left ", but are not." off that tweet.
      Maybe Shane Miller is tjfla's friend. They both have us interested in Paul Maholm.
      Last edited by Erick; 12-13-2013, 11:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• @Buster_ESPN: Attached to the Michael Young interest for the Dodgers: They believe increasingly that Juan Uribe is going to sign elsewhere.
        Twitter

Update on Uribe situation

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
          --------------------

Maybe Shane Miller is tjfla's friend. They both have us interested in Paul Maholm.
          Damn u have found my real name and twitter! Nah really we just saw it on MLBtraderumors.

We actually have an offer out to Malholm but like most he wants a contender to make an offer before he says OK to us

Comment

• I always find it funny when just decent players like Malholm want to wait until a contender makes an offer. I don't doubt it's more fun to play with a winner and all, but come on...Like every Paul Malholm deserves to be a on a contender.

Comment

• Uribe back to LA per reports on 2 year deal. Frisaro mentioned fish might trade specs for a young controlled 3B.

Comment

• Frisaro mentions Olt, I would not be opposed to that.

Comment

• I feel like we've all forgotten about him but Zack Cox could always turn into something useful. He hit .794 against rhp last year. So you know it adds to that problem of not having anyone that can hit a lefty in the line up.

I just looked at Solano's splits and with the exception of 2011 when he hit lefties great, he always hit them worse than rhp.

Depending upons Olt's asking price it might be worth it but remember he fell off a cliff last year and isn't worth trading someone who we anticipate being an important part of the future for.

Comment

• Four problems with Cox:

1) Lack of power. Biggest thing. Sub-.100 ISO last year, at .129 in his career (and that's inflated from his time spent in the PCL). Which is fine if he had a good BB/K but...

2) He does not show good plate discipline. 0.39 BB/K in his career. He did walk at close to a 12% clip last year, but that's an anomaly to his career numbers as he walked just 6% of the time previously. And with his lack of power, you'd really like more contact out of him rather than a 19% career K rate.

But he does have a decent career OPS thanks to 3) that being completely inflated by BABIP, which normally doesn't transfer well to the majors. .336 career BABIP and .341 last year. Noramlize that down to ~.310 or below and his numbers become a lot less pretty.

The two projection systems up have him at a mid-to-upper .600 OPS, which is about what I would guess. Now that's not terrible if you're good with the glove, which is why Matt Dominguez had such a high floor and will probably stick around for awhile even though he won't be impressive offensively (You know, the guy we traded for shit who just put up a 2.2 WAR as a 23 year old while we're busy searching for a young 3b option?).

But 4) Cox is a bad defensive 3b and there's been rumblings of needing to move him to 1st throughout his career.

I think right now the hope is that Cox can become a 1B/3B LH PH bench option. And even that is questionable. There's a reason he's not on the 40 man and no one grabbed him when he was DFA'd
                    Last edited by nny; 12-14-2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• That Dominguez trade was stupid

Comment

• Maybe it had to do with the whole Beinfest camp v.s. Loria camp thing, but it really, really just shows the lack of foresight this FO has and that there really is no "plan"

In the span of TWENTY FREAKIN' DAYS we traded out top (and only) 3b prospect and our starting third baseman. How in the world does that make sense?

It's something that should be harped on constantly because that's just not intelligent. We completely depleted any and all depth that we had at a PREMIUM position, and we did it in less than a three week time span.

How can you justify that? Every time I think of it, I just get so annoyed at this FO. You have to have foresight in that job field. You have to.

And this is ignoring the fact that both returns were bad.

Comment

• ^ excellent point. That Dominguez trade was probably the second worst under Beinfest after Cabrera trade. Maybe worse because at least we traded cabrera knowing we couldn't sign him to an extension, prospects just didn't pan out.

I don't understand why we would trade for a 3B at this point. Why give up prospects when Moran will be ready in a season? We aren't playing for a championship next year anyway. I don't think we should spend on any FAs either. Save the money for the years to come. I don't think any of the options are better than what we already have - Solano/Lucas/Dietrich and maybe just giving Cox a run. I mean we did give up a top RP for him, why not just try it out; if it fails, it fails and we keep playing for .500.
                          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                            Now that's not terrible if you're good with the glove, which is why Matt Dominguez had such a high floor and will probably stick around for awhile even though he won't be impressive offensively (You know, the guy we traded for shit who just put up a 2.2 WAR as a 23 year old while we're busy searching for a young 3b option?).
                            Carlos Lee gets RBIs. Dummy.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I am not aware of Cox's defensive ability but my point was it isn't just Solano, Lucas and Deitrich we already have going into camp. We aren't exactly expecting to compete next year anyway so throwing a bunch of shit to the wall and see what sticks. I happen to think Dietrich will be a valuable regular at some point in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                That Dominguez trade was stupid
                                It definitely was. But.

I think at the time the FO really believed they could make a run at the playoffs so I don't fault them for that. The FO has made way worse moves than that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X