Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also that list doesn't include 2009 so Hanley would be #1

Comment

I've always said Luis should be the first Marlins # retired. Well done.
      Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Jeff Conine is so stupidly overrated by the fan base.

There.

I said it.

Comment

In terms of years, stats and accolades, Jeff Conine is definitely one of the best Marlins--easily top 7 or 8. I've always hated that people call him "the best" Marlin though just because he was beloved.

Comment

The only reason Conine is still so arguably high (and I'd say justifiably, but I don't know if I'd necessarily believe it) is that the great players we've had go through here, save Luis, had a tenure of 2-3 years. Off the top of my head, Conine and Luis are the only position players to get 8 seasons or more with the Fish, and I think AJ is the only pitcher to get 7 seasons (though I don't know if 2003 "counts").

Therefore, it's really easy to make Conine look good when his Marlins career is stacked up against others whose tenure was far shorter.
            --------------------
            Originally posted by nny View Post
            Devo was the best defensive player in his prime but we didn't have him in his prime. Was still good but don't know if he would have been the best. Chucky had some great range. I'd say chucky #1, devo #2, then probably Alfredo #3, Cody #4. Are those 4 the only 4 that have been plus defensive OFers for us? lol. If only pierre had an arm.
            Kotsay wasn't a bad RFer, actually he was a borderline great one since he could almost hide the fact that PW shouldn't have been playing center to begin with, and Encarnacion wasn't necessarily a "plus" OF, but I'd say he was an above average corner OF, certainly had a hose for an arm.
            Last edited by Swifty; 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I know its stupid but i dont like that Mike Jacobs is ahead of Bobby Bonilla.
              I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

explain why

or is it that you just don't like Jake

edit: didn't realize how solid of a 1997 Bobby Bo had

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
                  In terms of years, stats and accolades, Jeff Conine is definitely one of the best Marlins--easily top 7 or 8. I've always hated that people call him "the best" Marlin though just because he was beloved.
                  No doubt - Luiy is the best Marlin to date IMO and I agree with everyone who says his number should be retired.
                  God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                  - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                    Josh Willingham should be about 5 spots higher on the list atleast. Considering his entire body of work, I would rank him ahead of Delgado, Ross, Rapp and Harvey.

No way in hell Braden Looper is the third greatest reliever in our history, tenure be damned.
                    Eh, I dunno. Rapp had the most wins on this team until what...2005? (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      explain why

or is it that you just don't like Jake

edit: didn't realize how solid of a 1997 Bobby Bo had
                      I dont really like Jacobs. And Bobby Bo had a good season in 97, and he hit the huge home run in game 7 of the world series.
                      I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Stop reading after
                        50. Alfredo Amezaga
                        . Come on.

Comment

Amezaga hasn't been one of the 50 best players in the past 3-4 years for this team.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Amezaga is clearly the best player in the history of the organization. Putting him 50 is merely a nicety to everyone else.
                            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                            - Daft

Comment

This got me thinking, so I made my top-50, with little blurbs.

1. Luis Castillo
                              Career leader for the Marlins in just about every offensive category. Leads in plate appearances, games, hits, runs, 3rd in total bases, 5th in career OBP

2. Gary Sheffield
                              In terms of productivity per AB, Sheff is the best Marlin of all time (with apologies to Miguel Cabrera, and a nod to Hanley that one day he will own this title). Career leader in OBP (.426); only Marlin to have a career OBP above .400. Still in the Marlins top-10 all time for total bases despite 2,000 fewer plate appearances than the leader (Lowell). 4th in career home-runs (122), and the only member of the top 5 to do it in less than 2,500 plate appearances, first Marlin to hit 30 and 40 homers in a season, only Marlin to hit 40 (42 in 1996). His 1996 still stands as perhaps the greatest offensive season in team history.

3. Hanley Ramirez
                              If you’ve been watching the team since 2006, you know why he’s here. Arguably the best player in the National League, and without question the heir apparent to every offensive franchise record.

4. Miguel Cabrera
                              Potentially the greatest player to ever wear a Marlins uniform, his tenure was just too brief to grab control over most offensive categories. Second in career home-runs (138), 3rd in career RBI, second in career batting average (.313). Pending Hanley’s 2009, his .339 average in 2006 is the highest in team history.

5. Dontrelle Willis
                              Career leader in wins, innings, strikeouts and games started. The corner-stone in the short lived revitalization of South Florida baseball; 2003-2005. Only starter in Marlins history to have a tangible effect on ticket sales on days he started. First and only Marlin to win 20 games (22 in 2005), first Marlin to win Rookie of the Year.

6. Jeff Conine
                              Longevity’s lover. Fan favorite, cornerstone of both title teams. Second in games played, third in at bats and plate appearances. And a part of the greatest throw in Marlins history.

7. Mike Lowell
                              Franchise’s career leader in home-runs, arguably the greatest defensive player in team history. An offensive force who led the 2003 team in home-runs (32) and were it not for a broken hand, almost surely would have set the single season home-run record for the Marlins in 2003.

8. Josh Beckett
                              Like Sheffield, in terms of quality per appearance, Beckett is the best in franchise history. Franchise leader in career ERA, K/9 and WHIP, 5th in W/L% second in H/9 among qualified pitchers, 5th in career wins. Injuries and cheapness deprived the franchise of what may have been a Hall of Fame career in the National League.

9. AJ Burnett
                              In terms of seasons, the longest tenured starter in Marlins history. Second in career wins, career ERA, innings pitched, strikeouts, complete games, games started, career leader in shutouts (8).

10. Cliff Floyd
                              5th in career average, 4th in career OBP; the first left handed Marlin to break the 30 home-run plateau, underrated contributor to ’97 title team. His 2001 (.317/.390/.578) still stands as one of the greatest offensive seasons for a left-handed Marlin of all time. 110 home-runs the most among left handed or switch hitters in Marlins history.

11. Kevin Brown
                              A questionable hit batter call away from a perfect game, the career leader in W/L%, single season WHIP leader (0.944); a career Marlins WHIP of 1.09. His 1996 was unquestionably the greatest season a starter has had in Marlins history (17-11 0.944 WHIP, 1.89 ERA).

12. Derrek Lee
                              Third in career home-runs, fourth in career RBI; 2003 Gold Glove winner. 818 games started for Marlins at 1st base (franchise record). Lee and Carlos Delgado only 1B in franchise history with 30+ homers in one season.

13. Brad Penny
                              Only player to record 2 wins against the Yankees in 2003 World Series, first starter since 1953 to beat Yankees twice in a World Series. 4th in career ERA, 3rd in career wins, 5th in career strikeouts.

14. Juan Pierre
                              Single season franchise leader in hits (221 in 2004) and stolen bases (65 in 2003). Only Marlin to record consecutive seasons of 160+ singles.

15. Ivan Rodriguez
                              No player in franchise history had greater impact on any one season. Set NLCS record for RBI in 2003 NLCS (named LCS MVP), recipient of greatest throw in franchise history, single season leader for games caught (144)

16. Dan Uggla
                              112 career homeruns franchise leader for 2B. One of five players to be multiple all-star with Marlins (Ramirez, Cabrera, Willis, Brown)

17. Charles Johnson
                              Career Leader in games caught (582); tied for club record with 3 consecutive gold gloves with team (reluctant to count ’98 as was split between here and LA).

18. Alex Gonzalez
                              Slickest fielder in team history; hit most memorable home-run in franchise history with walk-off winner in game four of 2003 World Series. Franchise leader in games played at SS (880). 4th in games played and career AB’s, 10th in career home-runs.

19. Robb Nen
                              “White Thunder” Franchise leader in games saved, only player to be on ’93 team and appear in ’97 World Series.

20. Livan Hernandez
                              MVP of both ’97 NLCS and World Series. Partnered with Eric Gregg to strike out 15 Atlanta Braves in game 5 of ’97 NLCS.

21. Al Leiter
                              Spun first no-hitter in franchise history against Colorado. Started game 7 of ’97 World Series, along with Kevin Brown in ’96, the first true high-profile free agent signing in franchise history. His 30 wins trail only Scott Olsen and Dontrelle Willis for most among left-handers in franchise history.

22. Moises Alou
                              Next to Pudge Rodriguez, the greatest one year stint in Marlins history. Torrid ’97 World Series (.321/.387/.714) worthy of MVP honors.

23. Josh Johnson
                              The man that may be the greatest pitcher to put on a Marlins uniform. Will likely set franchise single season W/L% in 2009, since returning from arm surgery, has gone 19-4.

24. Edgar Renteria
                              3 year starter at short, including ’97 world series, runner up in ’96 RoY vote, single up the middle in 11th inning of game 7 won first world series for the Marlins.

25. Ryan Dempster
                              The first ace to emerge post-firesale I. Rotation starter for parts of 5 seasons, 2000 all-star, one of only two pitchers in franchise history to have three consecutive season with 10 or more wins (Willis).

26. Braden Looper
                              Career leader among pitchers for appearances. 6th in career saves, 3rd in games finished. Strikeout of Aaron Boone with bases loaded in game 4 forgotten moment to save the series for Fish.

27. Carlos Delgado
                              Despite one season, rewrote record books for single season among left-handed hitters in franchise history. 33 homeruns in 2005 3rd in franchise singles season history, 1st among left-handed hitters.

28. Antonio Alfonseca
                              The Dragon Slayer is second in career saves, second in appearances and third in games finished.

29. Kevin Millar
                              4th in career batting average, 10th in career doubles.

30. Pat Rapp
                              Longtime franchise leader in wins, now sits in 6th place. 5th in career ERA.

31. Armando Benitez
                              Authored a brilliant 2004 season as closer of the Marlins. His bases loaded, 1 out, 2-1 count save against Philadelphia stands as one of the great moments in franchise history.

32. Carl Pavano
                              In addition to a brilliant, then record 18 win season in 2004, also the man that started the Bartman game, Gonzalez’ walk-off homerun in ’03 Series.

33. Ugueth Urbina
                              Half season run with Fish led to ’03 title. 0.939 WHIP in 33 games with team was key.

34. Ricky Nolasco
                              Emerging rotation fixture who racks up strikeouts and wins.

35. Craig Counsell
                              After Castillo was unable to hold down 2B in ’97, Counsell emerged as capable stop-gap; hit sacrifice fly in bottom of the 9th inning to tie game 7, scoring the winning run in game 7 of ’97 series simply icing on the cake.

36. Preston Wilson
                              Second player to hit 30 home-runs in a season (31 in 2000).

37. Mark Kotsay
                              Strong defensive outfielder hit .280 in parts of 3 seasons with Fish. 1st round pick in ’96 draft.

38. Josh Willingham
                              Gifted offensive player hampered by back problems and too much time spent languishing on bench in ’04 and ’05. Career .361 OBP good for 7th all time.

39. Alex Fernandez
                              Star pitcher that excelled in ’97 (17-12, 1.12 WHIP), including decisive win in game 3 of NLDS, derailed by rotator cuff injury in NLCS against Braves.

40. Cody Ross
                              One of the most well rounded outfielders to play for Marlins. 22 homeruns in 2008 trail only Preston Wilson’s 31 for most in a single season by a Marlins’ CF.

41. Scott Olsen
                              Durable lefty whose 31 wins are second all time for Marlins left hander.

42. Mike Jacobs
                              3 year starter with prodigious power. 69 homers good for second all time among left-handers or switch hitters.

43. Bobby Bonilla
                              Hit .297 in ’97 title season. His 7th inning blast to lead off the bottom of the 7th inning of game 7 is unsung moment of series.

44. Devon White
                              Great defensive centerfielder, his grand slam in game 3 of NLDS against Giants ended up being game, and series, winning hit.

45. Chad Fox
                              Perhaps the most underrated reliever in Marlins history. 2.13 ERA and 1.14 WHIP bridged the gap to Urbina and Looper.

46. Mike Redmond
                              His nude batting practice session in ’03 is credited with starting the unforgettable run to the playoffs.

47. Chuck Carr
                              The first great quote machine in Marlins history. His speed and defense were always fun to watch

48. Jorge Cantu
                              His 25th home-run in 2008 gave the Marlins the most powerful infield quartet in Major League history.

49. Jay Powell
                              The bridge to Robb Nen and the man that recorded the win in game 7 of ’97 series.

50. Quilvio Veras
                              A great speedster, the first player in franchise history to swipe 50.

Comment

If you told me in the year 2005 that Hermida wouldn't be on this list by 2009, I'd probably laugh you out of the building.

Hmph.
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X