Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Appropriate Amount of Time for Marlins Fans to Vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    Loria firesales shitty teams so it seems like winning does matter in a way.
    Trading Miguel Cabrera.

Trading Derrek Lee immediately after winning a World Series to pay for Pudge Rodriguez, and then offering Pudge 2/16 (3/24 with vested option) in a huge low ball from the 4/40 the Tigers offered.

3/5 of the 2003 World Series rotation (Beckett, Willis, Pavano, Redman, Penny) were gone by the end of the 2004 season. All five (and AJ Burnett) would be gone after 2005.

1/3 of the starting lineup (Pudge, Lee, Encarnacion) were gone immediately after the 03 championship. The entire lineup would be gone by the end of 2005.

We might be the only team in professional sports history to win multiple title and not attempt a serious defense of any of them.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...boras-cli.html

Alright, which Scott Boras clients should we have signed last year, Namaft.
      --------------------
      Prince Fielder, I guess?
      Why would we sign Prince Fielder when we had Gaby Sanchez and his .600 something OPS?

/drinking whiskey and admittedley making no sense right now

BOBBOB IS A FOUNDING FATHER OF LORIA APOLOGISTISM

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Boras has a lot of clients. The three we signed off-season weren't his clients.

Has coincidence written all over it, boys.
        A lot of the best free agents last year weren't represented by Scott Boras. Better? This is the most irrelevant thing ever. It's one agent and if you truly think his comment is factual, I don't know what to tell you. The guy seeks the best possible deals for his clients. It's a good time to talk shit about the Marlins front office because if there's ever a time they're going to change their policy, it's now. Boras has hundreds of clients. I doubt they ALL feel the same way.

I'm sure there's some sort of disadvantage with free agents now but as has been the case since the big trade was made, there's a lot of overreaction.

Don't worry, we'll sign a big free agent again in the future. If the team feels like signing a free agent, that is. Fortunately, players are human and humans really like money a lot. If the team wins and goes to the World Series again under Loria ownership, there will probably be more than two fans at the ballpark. It will probably be sold out and the five fans who protested the other day will probably be in attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Why would we sign Prince Fielder when we had Gaby Sanchez and his .600 something OPS?

/drinking whiskey and admittedley making no sense right now

BOBBOB IS A FOUNDING FATHER OF LORIA APOLOGISTISM
          Stand down, soldier.
          poop

Comment

• Erick, meet me in the Who's Drinking Tonight thread. You're a little serious for 1:00 on a Sunday morning.

Erick, meet me over there I"M NOT KIDDING

Comment

• Originally posted by Omar View Post
              Trading Miguel Cabrera.

Trading Derrek Lee immediately after winning a World Series to pay for Pudge Rodriguez, and then offering Pudge 2/16 (3/24 with vested option) in a huge low ball from the 4/40 the Tigers offered.

3/5 of the 2003 World Series rotation (Beckett, Willis, Pavano, Redman, Penny) were gone by the end of the 2004 season. All five (and AJ Burnett) would be gone after 2005.

1/3 of the starting lineup (Pudge, Lee, Encarnacion) were gone immediately after the 03 championship. The entire lineup would be gone by the end of 2005.

We might be the only team in professional sports history to win multiple title and not attempt a serious defense of any of them.
              They did not trade Miguel Cabrera after 2003. He was traded a handful of years later.

The rest is stuff teams do. They change. The Giants won the World Series last year and are probably not bringing back Angel Pagan. Shame on them?

A lot of the players you listed went on to be mediocre the rest of their careers.

Encarnacion?
              Pavano stayed in '04 before moving on to the Yankees and becoming a nobody.
              Redman was a stopgap. Absolutely irrelevant after '03 and the rest of his career proves it.

Enough of the important parts of the '03 team came back to the extent that the '04 team on paper was good enough to defend it. They didn't. On paper, everyone loved the '05 team. After '05, they had the firesale because of two mediocre seasons.

The current firesale was a firesale of a team that sucked.

Comparing his firesales to '97 and pretending it's just all one big "Marlins Way" is rather unfair. It's not a regardless of competition thing...it's arguable that the firesales under Loria happened, in part, because the teams were no longer competing and he didn't feel like spending on a loser at the time.

Like, it's fine to not like him, but these things are facts. He didn't just trade the entire team after 2003. He didn't just trade away a good 2012 team.
              And the core of players before the Reyes, Buehrle, Bell era were here for awhile and did nothing as a team.

Comment

• I'm seeing a pretty solid Erick vs Omar thread tommorow.

Erick is a pretty HUGH fan of defending Loriaball.

And Omar is 2 bad days in a row away from ordering an authentic Yoenis Cespedes jersey and never looking back.

Comment

• I always thought Omar hated Billy Beane?
                  poop

Comment

• Erick, the issue is that most teams don't blow it up after two years of being over .500 two years after making a World Series. You tweak, yes, but you don't turn literally your entire roster over.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I don't hate the trade (or the Hanley/Anibal deals), then again I don't go to the games. I will renew my MLBtv (I only watch the Marlins), so in that sense I won't be venting at all.

I think it was pretty obvious in the middle of last year looking at the $ committed this team was unlikely to compete any time soon. No major league ready prospects and a rotation falling apart (Anibal was unlikely to stay - the numbers bandied around are crazy, JJ lost enough on his FB to no longer be an ace, Nolasco... and Buehrle was overpaid/mediocre).

The long term damage may be huge regarding the fanbase, but if they win people will turn up - they always do. What would season ticket sales have been even without the trade? Pretty poor given the product on the field, a team for whom everything would have had to go right to win 80+ games!

I like the arms picked up, think there is the makings of a solid rotation (even accounting for a number of failures) and they could win 80+ games in 2014, which I don't think is too much of a stretch. Next year will be brutal, then again I don't think I have ever enjoyed watching a non-world series Marlins team as much as 2006.

Comment

• The 2006 team is my third favorite Marlins team of all-time. Ahead of even 2008 and 2009.

Comment

• Can't believe we're going on seven years since that awesome 2006 team.

Comment

• I also enjoyed that team.

That's when we could score.

Comment

• I believe we had the best record in the NL in the final 120 games or something that year. Or at least one of the best.

Comment

• 2nd best behind the Mets.

Comment

Working...
                                X