2023-2024 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

top 20 live sports experience? have you been to anything other than marlins games?
    -I've been to one NFL game. The mighty Dolphins choked a 14 point lead with 3:00 left against the Titans. It is my belief that NFL is better watched on TV (for several reasons).

-I've been to 3 NBA games. The 2 Heat games were pretty unremarkable. The Hawks game in Atlanta very unremarkable as well

-I don't care for hockey. The one hockey game I went to (Panthers) I sat in the 3rd row. It was a cool experience. But not top 20.

-I went to one PGA Tour event in Doral. Fun but unremarkable. If I ever get selected in the lottery to watch The Masters I suspect it will be in the Top 10

- The 4 Marlins World Series games I've been to are in the Top 20, the NLDS game where Pudge threw our JT Snow to end the game is my #1

-Ive seen baseball live in Miami, Tampa Bay, Braves (both Turner and Truist), New York (Shea, old and new Yankee Stadium, Citi Field), Colorado, Seattle, Dodgers Stadium.

So, yes, absolutely yesterday is in my Top 20 despite the tragedy ending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

-I've been to one NFL game. The mighty Dolphins choked a 14 point lead with 3:00 left against the Titans. It is my belief that NFL is better watched on TV (for several reasons).

-I've been to 3 NBA games. The 2 Heat games were pretty unremarkable. The Hawks game in Atlanta very unremarkable as well

-I don't care for hockey. The one hockey game I went to (Panthers) I sat in the 3rd row. It was a cool experience. But not top 20.

-I went to one PGA Tour event in Doral. Fun but unremarkable. If I ever get selected in the lottery to watch The Masters I suspect it will be in the Top 10

- The 4 Marlins World Series games I've been to are in the Top 20, the NLDS game where Pudge threw our JT Snow to end the game is my #1

-Ive seen baseball live in Miami, Tampa Bay, Braves (both Turner and Truist), New York (Shea, old and new Yankee Stadium, Citi Field), Colorado, Seattle, Dodgers Stadium.

So, yes, absolutely yesterday is in my Top 20 despite the tragedy ending.
      fair. I was at that titans game as well. was a terrible game on top of the terrible ending. The JT snow game is up there for me. Beckett's complete game in game 5 in 2003 nlcs is up there. The alex gonzalez walk off is up there. And weirdly i was at this random donnie murphy walk off that was pretty awesome at pro player.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        the bride vs myers thing is just completely absurd and inexcusable. what possible justification do you have to call up bride as opposed to myers? Myers crushed the ball in spring, and it's not like we are playing service time games with him. He's 28. Why on earth is bride up here? Edwards i get. He got hurt, he might need some time, but there is 0 excuse to have myers down in the minors
        I think you want a converted pitcher playing every day. I'd rather see him get 350+ PA in AAA over 3-4 months and not sit on the bench for the Marlins over half the time and getting 170 PA. He needs the playing time IMO. Marlins fans fascination with Myers is bizarre in this regard. Just because Garcia sucks doesn't mean Myers is ready. Also, he had a .396 BABIP in AAA last year. It looks like a great MILB signing to be a depth guy who may turn into a MLB option, but just let the guy play and maybe he turns into an option mid-season or next year. I know he is older but Berti didn't make it to a roster until he was 29 also (which is next year for Dane). Myers doesn't even have 1200 professional PA. For perspective, Bride has around 600 more (1 year younger), Johnston 700 more (2 years younger), Edwards 800 more (4 years younger), etc. It does matter. The guys are still developing, especially (Myers) identifying offspeed pitching in AA/AAA which is a radical jump in competition from A ball, even if Myers (and Bride and Johnston) are getting older.

I don't think the issue is Myers or Edwards or Johnston or Bride either here. The issue is Berti was shipped out the day before opening day and they didn't replace him with any of the cheap free agents mentioned all offseason, and then on top of that, they didn't replace Garcia with any of those same guys. The failure to sign two of the Urshela, Rosario, Taylor, Duvall, Pham, JD Davis (especially), etc. class of players for combined under $5m is inexcusable and Bruce should be ashamed of himself whether by not allowing the budget, or hiring dingbats who don't get it. Unless of course this is the plan to suck with a smile on their face so they can trade the guys and have a clean slate in 2025.....

Also, some "good" news you will like regarding Edwards service time manipulation. Since he's on the MLB IL he is accruing service time. So if there was an argument to hold him back 55-60 days into late May to get that extra year, if he's going to be banged up for 10-20+ days now, that pushes him into late June for a call up and that's getting well into the season to try and manufacture that extra year for a guy who doesn't have the upside of a Meyer where it probably doesn't matter. Basically, it's easier to do that day 1 versus day 20. I think Edwards getting hurt will cause a faster debut (absent Garcia/Bride/maybe Dane does get called up performing) as they are losing some very important days here. I know you think I overthink this, but they do think this way IMO and this is one for me I'm throwing out of the window given the injury/trading Berti. If I were them, I'm still figuring out how to land Max at 1.168 days but I'm not even thinking about Edwards anymore. If he's healthy and deemed better than Garcia or Bride (which he is), lock and load. The only other guy that matters is Soriano who they should probably option down once this season, but also who cares as this is a minor Super2 threat. Also the fun one is, if they option down Burger 1 time he will be super-2 deflected. If he goes on a 1 month slump, I can see them shipping him down to "find his swing" as that 15 day option will save them $4m over 4 seasons minimum and we know how they roll. That's going to be the fun one if he struggles, but he objectively looks awesome so I can't see that happening and we will fondly remember Kim for that trade I believe.

Comment

• I'm worried that they'll hang on to the 5th pick in the 2014 draft (Nick Gordon) too long just to appease Jazz.

I can see him and Garcia being all kinds of awful until they wave the white flag and release.

Garcia is obviously a far bigger issue (not only is he making outs, they are helpless outs)

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I'm worried that they'll hang on to the 5th pick in the 2014 draft (Nick Gordon) too long just to appease Jazz.

I can see him and Garcia being all kinds of awful until they wave the white flag and release.

Garcia is obviously a far bigger issue (not only is he making outs, they are helpless outs)
            I don't mind a year tester for Gordon. He was showing life in 2022 and got banged up in 2023 so that's hard to count. I'd cut him a lot of slack and see what happens over hundreds of PA. He's an offseason cut for me unless truly spectacularly awful. The same goes for DLC here if he can ever get the swing right. Brujan I think has a little less leash and if he's doing nothing at 200-250 PA, you can DFA him when a better option presents itself. Frankly, I'd bet some upside with this entire group. They are worth the time even if they all fizzle.

Garcia has gotta go ASAP though. The second Edwards is ready I think you make that move (because let Dane play everyday for now, Mesa Jr. isn't ready and also play everyday, and Amaya should also just play everyday and see if he figures out how to hit). I would also be OK letting Johnston get that spot too because why not. This is where we can strongly criticize why are there only 17 bats on the 40 man and three of them (Garcia, Mesa Jr., Amaya) have no business on a MLB roster this season, with two more (Brujan, Bride), skeptical as-is. And that's not even getting to Bethancourt, Fortes, DLC, Gordon, Edwards, and Anderson may all be replacement level guys. It's really hard to fathom why there aren't two more veteran bats here, but I think I have beaten that dead horse into pulp.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

I don't mind a year tester for Gordon. He was showing life in 2022 and got banged up in 2023 so that's hard to count. I'd cut him a lot of slack and see what happens over hundreds of PA. He's an offseason cut for me unless truly spectacularly awful. The same goes for DLC here if he can ever get the swing right. Brujan I think has a little less leash and if he's doing nothing at 200-250 PA, you can DFA him when a better option presents itself. Frankly, I'd bet some upside with this entire group. They are worth the time even if they all fizzle.

Garcia has gotta go ASAP though. The second Edwards is ready I think you make that move (because let Dane play everyday for now, Mesa Jr. isn't ready and also play everyday, and Amaya should also just play everyday and see if he figures out how to hit). I would also be OK letting Johnston get that spot too because why not. This is where we can strongly criticize why are there only 17 bats on the 40 man and three of them (Garcia, Mesa Jr., Amaya) have no business on a MLB roster this season, with two more (Brujan, Bride), skeptical as-is. And that's not even getting to Bethancourt, Fortes, DLC, Gordon, Edwards, and Anderson may all be replacement level guys. It's really hard to fathom why there aren't two more veteran bats here, but I think I have beaten that dead horse into pulp.
              agreed, i'm fine with gordon for a year. Talent is there, he looked passable in 2022 and then had a lost year last year. They should be signing Pham though and bringing up edwards for Bride. I just dont think you can continue to let garcia waste a spot here. he sucks. move on. it was an idiotic contract at the time and it looks worse every day. just cut bait and improve the team. it is a sunk cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                I absolutely love the front office and Bruce being kicked in the face day 1 for making some obviously pathetic roster decisions and immediately they cause a loss. Garcia and Bride have no business being on this team and it shows. Seriously fuck these assholes. But I guess this is the plan. To be able to trade guys.

Set up a dunk tank at the CF bar with Bruce in one and Avisail in the other and I bet it's the best crowd in building history. No one will watch the game. Dunk, dunk, dunk, dunk for 2 1/2 hours.
                Agreed. It’s super early but the Bendix regime is off to an awful start, and that’s not even just because of the record. They did the worst possible thing this offseason which was straddle the line of not adding needed parts, but also not selling high on players. We’ll see on Luzardo, but it looks like a botched opportunity on Scott. But anyone with eyes knew the catching situation was awful, but nothing was done. The system sucks. Nothing was done. The bullpen was bad, nothing really done. The SP was banged up. Not even warm bodies signed. All Bendix did was make deals with Tampa and add Rays castoffs. He hasn’t shown he can even make a deal with other teams, let alone identify talent.

Comment

• Eury Tommy John by Marlins sources. JFC

Comment

Working...
                  X