No announcement yet.

2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nature of this team's budget, even allowing for increases in the future as a result of the stadium, coupled with the nature of, and current market conditions for, pitching, still dictate that they must maintain a healthy surplus of young pitching in their system to allow for attrition through injuries and just plain "misses." This is because it will be especially difficult for this team to redress deficient starting pitching in the FA market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flum View Post
      If the Marlins aren't going to add payroll until they are in the new stadium, how are they going to replace their starting pitchers that they will lose because of increasing salaries? That certainly makes it seem like both JJ and Nolasco will be gone before then, and who else do we have coming through the system that projects to be a decent starter?

I have no problem getting rid of Miller, because his service time/salary means that he won't likely be a part of the team in three years anyway. On top of that, I'm not sold on him developing into something worthwhile.

I just don't think we should give up both of our "power pitching" lefties in a deal for a short term solution in the corner IF and OF.
      I suppose both can still improve and have quite a bit of room for improvement, but I'd imagine that if both of these guys have important roles in our rotation next year, we probably won't be all that competitive either. I'd imagine we could unload em both, see what we could do this year with a better offense and then go out and get rid of some of our other trash and try to get some fill in shit for cheap in the mean time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flum View Post
        If the Marlins aren't going to add payroll until they are in the new stadium, how are they going to replace their starting pitchers that they will lose because of increasing salaries? That certainly makes it seem like both JJ and Nolasco will be gone before then, and who else do we have coming through the system that projects to be a decent starter?

I have no problem getting rid of Miller, because his service time/salary means that he won't likely be a part of the team in three years anyway. On top of that, I'm not sold on him developing into something worthwhile.

I just don't think we should give up both of our "power pitching" lefties in a deal for a short term solution in the corner IF and OF.
        Yeah, I agree with this. Giving up Miller is one thing, but giving up both Miller and West is different. West still has cost-controlled years that make him more valuable than Miller.

Comment

• Frisaro says that Marlins don't wana trade their future.
          "I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain." Mike Tyson

Comment

• Basically because we can't compete with LA and Philly.

Comment

• final text of the day

"we wont give up both lefties... its over"

Comment

• D*MMIT!
                "I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain." Mike Tyson

Comment

• terrible.
                  "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
                  -Dan LeBatard

Comment

• disappointing day
                    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                    Tom Koehler(4-0)
                    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

• meh, just as well.

Comment

• I guess its usually this(nothing) or everyone gets traded for propects.

Comment

• I'm so excited..Boner gets to stay in the everyday line up!

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            I'm so excited..Boner gets to stay in the everyday line up!

Lol, we all know how explosive of a player he is.
                            "The Marlins are going to lose because they don't have two magical unicorns having sex in the bathroom"
                            -Dan LeBatard

Comment

• This was an even more deflating end to the deadline than last year's.

Comment

• I'm so excited these one liners get to end soon

Comment

Working...
                                X