No announcement yet.

Beinfest Unhappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are some consistently above average GMs, and what do they do consistently that makes them above average?

I'm trying to figure out what you guys think seperates Beinfest, who I agree, is not necessarily much more than average, from the ones who are good.
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 09-19-2011, 10:37 PM.
    poop

Comment

I think Bienfest has been handcuffed by these payroll restraints. He hasn't been allowed to be anything more or less than average.

That's going to change (hopefully) and we'll be able to see what he really is. Whether that be Beinstien or poop, I don't know.

/danced around your question

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
        I think Bienfest has been handcuffed by these payroll restraints. He hasn't been allowed to be anything more or less than average.

That's going to change (hopefully) and we'll be able to see what he really is.

/danced around your question
        I think the payroll has a lot to do with why I don't feel strongly about him. I just don't think we'd have spent the last 8 years popping champagne every Autumn or a whole heck of a lot worse if we had somebody else. The things he's missed on that someone else might have gotten right are outweighed by the things he's done right that others might not have.
        poop

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm the one who called him an above average GM.

Unless you're talking about the recent Rays, you can't really name a team who's been consistently really good with terrible payrolls to work with.

This is just a case of people being a bunch of armchair GM's, acknowledging the bad, and not mentioning the good he's given the franchise...especially moving forward.

At the end of the day, I don't see anything wrong with his ability to acquire talent out of nowhere. Starting with Dan Uggla, that ended up being a great find.

For all the shit about his drafts, there's also nothing wrong with having 3 good, everyday draft players (including one who's just awesome). Nothing wrong with drafting one of the best pitchers in baseball when healthy. + guys who we don't know how they'll develop yet.

The Cabrera trade wouldn't even be looking as terrible as it looks right now had we kept Maybin. (which, for what it's worth, I'm convinced the Maybin deal was definitely all Loria)

Comment

In light of all the rumors about $100 million payrolls, Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes, I think it's safe to say Beinfest's job is on the line next year.

Comment

as it probably should be

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post

Unless you're talking about the recent Rays, you can't really name a team who's been consistently really good with terrible payrolls to work with.
                )
                Wasn't there a book and a movie about a fella like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                  Wasn't there a book and a movie about a fella like this?
                  Originally posted by Joe Morgan View Post
                  I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                    I thought it would be hilarious to stand outside of a movie theater showing Moneyball picketing dressed as Joe Morgan, but the potential audience that would appreciate that is so vanishingly small as to not be worth it.
                    poop

Comment

In black face?

Comment

Beinfest is a pure example of how you can do as much talent searching and prospect ranking as you want, but there is a large element of luck evolved in it as well.

Remember when Maybin was a September Call-up in 08, and hit 16/32 had an 1.105 OPS and an .543 OBP and we all thought we had a player that might of been better than Miguel Cabrera? Maybin and Miller's bad play was not a result of Beinfest or Loria. They had been studs in the Minors and had shown no reason why they wouldn't be able to produce at the big league level. The point is it's not always on the GM. You go for the best prospect available but at some point you gotta start blaming the player and not the guy who got him. Hasn't Hanley been better here than Beckett has been in Boston?

Now, I hate how we got rid of a perennial MVP candidate and got nothing in return, but I at least see the thought process behind it.
                        Miami Marlins. Channeling our inner 90s Devil Rays.

Comment

Working...
                        X