Beinfest Unhappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beinfest Unhappy?

Marlins GM Larry Beinfest has let it be known that he would like a chance at the Cubs position. Rival executives say that Beinfest is unhappy with the recent reassignment of Jim Fleming the increasing involvement of owner Jeffrey Loria. The Cubs' level of interest in Beinfest is currently unknown.
    Via Ken Rosenthal via MLBTradeRumors.
    There's No jOOj In Team.

Least surprising news ever.

he's not the GM, MLBTradeRumors

Comment

I just like posting about feelings. Turn that Beinfrown upside down!
      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Beinfestball with $150 million to play with. Disastrous results at 11!

Comment

The Beinstein Bears?
          poop

Comment

Beinfestivus for the rest of us.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Loria's not gonna let him leave anyway

Comment

Looks like Ramp is gon be working for the Marlins.
                --------------------
                Have you seen the new uniforms?
                Last edited by Party; 09-17-2011, 06:16 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Oh no what turrible, turrible news. I don't know how we can possible win without the guy who traded Miguel Cabrera for absolutely nothing and has never had a team make the playoffs that wasn't full of Dombrowski's players. Oh noes.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                    Oh no what turrible, turrible news. I don't know how we can possible win without the guy who traded Miguel Cabrera for absolutely nothing and has never had a team make the playoffs that wasn't full of Dombrowski's players. Oh noes.
                    I think this is silly.

Comment

I think it is correct.

Comment

All things considered, Beinfest has done a fine job here. Maybe not the best GM in baseball, but he certainly has an above average resume.

Just because the '03 team was partially Dombrowski's doesn't mean that Beinfest acquisitions weren't a big reason why we won that year.

Due to financial limitations, the Marlins had a firesale and it was Beinfest who put the trades together that got us the pretty good core that we have now. The team, overall, has not worked this year, but the core is definitely there.

If Beinfest leaves and the Marlins become winners, we'll probably be saying the same thing about the next GM...which I guess will be Mike Hill (he already is now).

Despite the criticisms about his drafts in his time here, we do have some pretty good core players that were drafted by him. This includes one of the best pitchers in baseball and a guy who might be the best player in the game one day.

The Cabrera trade failed in hindsight, but was not considered terrible at the time.

And I truly believe that Loria had a lot to do with what happened this past offseason (whether or not you liked the offseason, idk). Anyway, what happened this past offseason is basically the complete opposite of what Beinfest has done over the years.

Loria's definitely running the show right now, imo.

Comment

So discredit the trading of stars because he had to, but credit him for the return those stars were worth?

Comment

Beinfest's success rate in the draft is terrible, it's embarrassing in the 1st round.

He's never executed a trade involving a 'star' that he absolutely won. Even the Beckett-Hanly trade is fun in hindsight. The Twins wanted Mike Lowell and offered us Scott Baker, assuming we were willing to eat half of his contract. The Red Sox originally wanted to trade Jonathan Papelbon, not Anibal Sanchez (even coming off nerve damage and shoulder surgery) and we insisted on Anibal. I think you realize how poorly everything else turned out.

The basic underlying principle to all of this isn't that finances dictated Beinfest make moves he didn't want to make, it's that through all of it, there isn't a single time we can say "thank God Beinfest is running the show." That he's outwardly (still) discrediting OBP and other "new stats" makes me even angrier. If we have a team on a budget with impatient ownership, at least do something that isn't stuck on the back of a baseball card from 1975.

If all he did wrong was the Cabrera trade, I think I'd be angry, but OK with him. The problem is that it's not the Cabrera trade, it's everything.

Comment

And since 2008-2009 his teams have gotten progressively worse with his budget expanding in 2010 and 2011. You could argue the best teams since 2006 were made up of the cast-offs he was 'forced' to take to field a ML team.

Comment

Working...
                              X