Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    I don't care for false hope.

I want Hand to prove that he absolutely does not belong here next year because he absolutely does not. Four starts should not change anything.
    You're the only fucking one thinking that if Hand performs well he somehow cements himself in the rotation. There is no fucking indication that happens. Holy fucking shit.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
      What experiments?
      Trading an athletic, 24-year old CF'er for two relievers when the backup plan was a mediocre LF'er.

Not having a backup plan at 3B just in case Matt Dominguez failed in Spring Training. Which was likely considering he's not proven himself yet with the bat in the minor leagues.
      --------------------
      Also, since I've wanted him gone for awhile now...

-Making Leo Nunez the highest paid reliever in franchise history when it was definitely unnecessary, especially after the Maybin/Uggla trades in the offseason that brought back three relievers.

They had holes at CF/3B with seven big-league ready bullpen arms not named Leo Nunez + more depth in the pen in the minors.
      Last edited by Erick; 09-04-2011, 01:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think two of those are just roster moves, and one is an experiment. I don't see how those are applicable at all to Brad Hand in any way. In fact, the Dominguez one makes your fears look less worrisome, because they pretty much pencilled Dominguez in in ST and then when he struggled, they didn't give him the spot. If you think Brad Hand's going to cement a spot before ST, you should not reference Dominguez.
        poop

Comment

Here is another article with the exact quote about what Hand said.

Rookie left-hander Brad Hand will have an opportunity to make a case for a spot in the Marlins starting rotation for next season over the final month.

Manager Jack McKeon said Sunday that Hand will remain in the rotation and Clay Hensley will return to the bullpen. Hand has shown enough promise while going 1-5 with a 4.23 ERA in several call-ups to merit a longer look with the team out of contention.

"I'm obviously excited. It's a great opportunity," said Hand, who gave up four runs (three earned) in five innings in losing to the Phillies on Friday. "I'm just looking to finish the season strong, and hopefully carry it into next season. If I continue to improve and work on the stuff I need to work on, I'll be right where I need to be."

Hensley struggled as a stopgap in the rotation with Josh Johnson on the disabled list, going 2-4, 6.21 in nine starts. Hensley seemed relieved to be returning to the set-up role where he has had success, telling McKeon before the game, "I want to get back up on the horse."

"I think the transition midseason was a little bit tougher than expected," Hensley said. "I couldn't string together several strong outings in a row. I think at this point it's probably best for me and the organization for me to go to the pen and try to finish the season strong there."

McKeon has been preaching this is the time for players to sell themselves for next year. He said Hand needs to show more consistency of command.

"Each time we brought him back he's been a little more consistent. Walks get him in trouble," McKeon said.
          Brad Hand to remain in Marlins' rotation; Hensley back to bullpen

Comment

"I'm obviously excited. It's a great opportunity," said Hand, who gave up four runs (three earned) in five innings in losing to the Phillies on Friday. "I'm just looking to finish the season strong, and hopefully carry it into next season. If I continue to improve and work on the stuff I need to work on, I'll be right where I need to be."
            MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I think two of those are just roster moves, and one is an experiment. I don't see how those are applicable at all to Brad Hand in any way. In fact, the Dominguez one makes your fears look less worrisome, because they pretty much pencilled Dominguez in in ST and then when he struggled, they didn't give him the spot. If you think Brad Hand's going to cement a spot before ST, you should not reference Dominguez.
              The Dominguez one was definitely an experiment.

The only reason he did not make the team was because he was absolutely terrible in Spring Training, but it was pretty clear that he was just an average month of Spring Training away from making the team.

I don't see how that's not an experiment, considering that Dominguez was/is unproven.

The Nunez one was just one I felt like mentioning.
              --------------------
              MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
              I was simply referring to the "potentially get a spot in the 2012 rotation."

You can say the organization isn't thinking that at all; you don't know that.

I'm simply saying that I hope he sucks because I don't want Frisaro's suggestion to even be a possibility.
              Last edited by Erick; 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm simply saying that I hope he sucks because I don't want Frisaro's suggestion to even be a possibility.
                A couple things about this;

A.) Neither article was by Frisaro
                B.) Even if they were, it still doesn't invalidate Bobbob's point about that being words that the beatwriter said or thought

Comment

I was simply referring to the "potentially get a spot in the 2012 rotation."

You can say the organization isn't thinking that at all; you don't know that.

So you hope a player on our team sucks because a beat writer thinks maybe if he is good he will maybe be on our team next year. Got it.
                  poop

Comment

So you hope a player on our team sucks because a beat writer thinks maybe if he is good he will maybe be on our team next year. Got it.
                    I hope a player on our team sucks because I fear that our front office might be stupid enough to actually agree with the beat writer's comment.

Comment

Actually, not even a beat writer. I'm not sure who Craig Davis, the guy who wrote the Sentinel story is, but Matt Forman of the Herald is an intern. He doesn't cover the team consistently, he doesn't have an ear in the front office.
                      --------------------
                      I hope a player on our team sucks because I fear that our front office might be stupid enough to actually agree with the beat writer's comment.
                      And your reasoning for fearing this is that this year they gave a guy a shot to win a spot in ST and then didn't give it to him because he was bad.

Got it.
                      Last edited by Bobbob1313; 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      poop

Comment

Actually, not even a beat writer. I'm not sure who Craig Davis, the guy who wrote the Sentinel story is, but Matt Forman of the Herald is an intern. He doesn't cover the team consistently, he doesn't have an ear in the front office.
                        --------------------

And your reasoning for fearing this is that this year they gave a guy a shot to win a spot in ST and then didn't give it to him because he was bad.

Got it.
                        If you tell your intern friend to stop suggesting dumb things, we wouldn't be having dumb arguments.

Comment

Even if it was written by one of our regular beat writers, it still wouldn't matter. None of our regular beat writers have any inside info in the thinking of front office, either. I can point out numerous things that they have gotten wrong about player moves.
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

--------------------

Got it.
                            They didn't have a backup plan for the possible fail of that situation, so what does that tell you?

And Chris Coghlan, can't forget Chris Coghlan.

Seriously, these were moves that had the fanbase wondering if the organization was dumb. These aren't some 20/20 hindsight comments coming out of nowhere.

All the important questions about the team heading into the season ended up failing. And it really wasn't all that surprising.

Comment

They didn't have a backup plan for the possible fail of that situation, so what does that tell you?
                              That they thought Donnie Murphy could be a sufficient stop gap and that their resources were better spent elsewhere considering they were still dealing with payroll constraints that will be lessened next season?
                              --------------------
                              Also, who is my friend? What?
                              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                              poop

Comment

That they thought Donnie Murphy could be a sufficient stop gap and that their resources were better spent elsewhere considering they were still dealing with payroll constraints that will be lessened next season?--------------------
                                Also, who is my friend? What?
                                Right. You don't think that was dumb?

Also, the original plan was to have Murphy coming off the bench. They didn't really have a stopgap for Dominguez.

Comment

Working...
                                X