Hensley Moving Back to the Bullpen; Hand to the Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hensley Moving Back to the Bullpen; Hand to the Rotation

As manager Jack McKeon has said more than once over the past few days, "it's salesman time" for the Marlins. Before Florida wrapped up its series with Philadelphia on Sunday, McKeon said rookie Brad Hand will be given an opportunity to sell himself.

Hand will be slotted into Clay Hensley's spot in the rotation and is scheduled to start Wednesday against the Mets, while Hensley will shift to the bullpen.

"We’ve got Hensley back in the pen, so that gives us another guy that can give us two, three, four innings," McKeon said. "[Hensley] was kind of an emergency guy anyhow, but we used him as a fifth starter. But now we’ve got the kid [Hand] going, so it’ll be good to see him pitch."

Hand is 1-5 with a 4.23 ERA in nine starts this year, and he allowed four runs (three earned) on four hits in five innings against the Phillies on Friday. The lefty has been up and down between the majors and minors this season, as he started three games in June and July and a pair in August.

But now it appears Hand is in the rotation for good, and he will get a chance to start either four or five more games the rest of the way, depending on how the Marlins handle off days and next week's doubleheader. McKeon said the front office has discussed the possibility of promoting another staring pitcher once the minor-league season ends on Monday.

Hand said he was “excited” about the “great experience, great opportunity” to prove himself and potentially secure a spot in the 2012 rotation.

“I’m just trying to finish the season strong and hopefully carry it into next season,” Hand said. “I feel like I’ve gotten — compared to my first start was pretty good, but after that it was kind of iffy — better since then.”

What are some of the things Hand has been working on?

“Throwing strikes, getting ahead, keeping the ball down and throwing the offspeed for strikes in the zone more often. Consistency is always a big thing. Some innings you’ll be really good, and then some innings it’s not there and trying to find it a little bit. Consistency throughout the hole game and get deeper in the game.”

Jack McKeon: Brad Hand will take Clay Hensley's rotation spot, scheduled to start Wednesday

Given his awful performance as a starter, it feels like Hensley just Handed him the job. :D

*waitsforneg*

Comment

Given his awful performance as a starter, it feels like Hand would be better off giving Hand jobs for money

Comment

I get the move because Hand is a starter and the only reason we switched Hensley back to being a starter is because Hand was not ready for this level but Hand still isn't ready. Since we're out of the race and we are going to have a ton of pitchers in the bullpen with Brian Sanches set to be activated tomorrow, Hensley back in the bullpen and 9 other guys already in the bullpen, it really isn't going to hurt much.

I really hope we don't call up another starter, though. Our starter options suck and I'm not really a fan of a 6-man rotation.

Comment

Hopefully Hand sucks this month. The last thing the Marlins need is for him to deceive the front office into thinking he's worthy of a rotation spot next year.

Comment

Unless he is good?
            poop

Comment

He's not.

Comment

It's not like he's a total fucking scrub. If he puts together a few legitimately good starts at the end of the season, I don't see how that's a bad thing.
                poop

Comment

Except that he is a "total fucking scrub" right now.

He needs to be in the minor leagues. The guy hasn't even pitched well in AA this year. He's just being rushed because everyone else in the system sucks more.

Comment

So he has no talent? There is zero chance he could be good in the final 4 starts of the season?

Jesus christ, dude. Why do you even care about this? I fail to see how this could be possibly be a bad thing.
                    poop

Comment

I don't see how hoping for someone to suck is in any way a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        So he has no talent? There is zero chance he could be good in the final 4 starts of the season?

Jesus christ, dude. Why do you even care about this? I fail to see how this could be possibly be a bad thing.
                        It says that he is going to be given a chance to prove himself this month/possibly have a chance to start in '12 if he pitches well.

My point is that 4 good starts is an extremely small sample to just avoid how much he's sucked so far.

And honestly, aside from the fact that he's only 21, I'm not all that high on his talent. Do you see any positives from him this year aside from the fact that he's young? You know as well as anyone that .225 .BABIP's don't last forever. Once that # starts looking like league average, his #'s become laughable.

Comment

Only Erick could shit on 4 meaningless starts at the end of a meaningless season for our top pitching prospect.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            I don't see how hoping for someone to suck is in any way a good thing.
                            The Marlins have done some stupid things recently.
                            I don't want Brad Hand giving them any reasons to be stupid by having 4 good starts.

Brad Hand needs to be in the minor leagues next year. He should not even be considering for a starting rotation spot in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              It says that he is going to be given a chance to prove himself this month/possibly have a chance to start in '12 if he pitches well.

My point is that 4 good starts is an extremely small sample to just avoid how much he's sucked so far.

And honestly, aside from the fact that he's only 21, I'm not all that high on his talent. Do you see any positives from him this year aside from the fact that he's young? You know as well as anyone that .225 .BABIP's don't last forever. Once that # starts looking like league average, his #'s become laughable.
                              I see a guy who, over his entire minor league career, put up good strikeout numbers and limited fly balls well. I see a guy who improved his control throughout his career.

So yeah, he's had a bad year while being shuttled up and down between AA and the majors ever 3 weeks as a 21 year old. Fuck him, what a shitty, shitty, no talent asshole.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X