No announcement yet.

Marlins Target Greinke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grienke is in the Josh Johnson caliber of pitchers.

He's A LOT better than Ricky Nolasco.
    He's also a lot better than Garza, if you ask me.

This is the same guy who was absolutely dominant in 2009 and won the Cy Young in the AL...and is still in his prime, with amazing stuff.

As long as the prospect's name isn't Mike Stanton, the Royals can have whatever they want.

For what it's worth, I'd rather trade Morrison than trade Dominguez, anyway.

Comment

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        I am quoting myself I am so right on this right now. Garza was a super 2

He projects, through arbitration, to get like....$5-7.5-10, if he remains awesome. Lop on 1 free agency years, I bet you Garza can be signed for like.... 4/$32 right now ($4-7-9-12).

Morrison, Nunez, and some throw in for Garza 3-1, re up Garza to that contract. You have washed Nunez-Garza money and now can move Nolasco for a center fielder, and have $6 million to spend.

Fuck, this is it. This is the deal. Not Greinke. Morrison, Nunez, and whatever for Garza. That's a win-win each way.
        Garza's peripherals sucked in 2010, and haven't been all that impressive throughout his career.
        His ERA # was fine, and he'd likely be better in the NL (as is the case with most AL pitchers), but if you have the opportunity to get Grienke without giving up Stanton, you do it. Grienke is a stud.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          Moving from the Upton hoopla to the Grienkepalooza...here. we. go.
          Not yet. Needs more talkie talkie.

Comment

Not thinking about payroll Erick. Greinke is a free agent after 2012, and will command close to Cliff Lee money. We'd be trading away a shit ton, for basically 2 years of Greinke and 2 draft picks in 2013 (assuming CBA remains the same).

Unless the Marlins want to make Greinke the centerpiece of the franchise, yes franchise, for the money he will command post 2012, a MUCH MUCH MUCH smarter idea would be to obtain younger starting pitching, like Garza, and giving a more modest 3-4 year contract, which is a good number for a pitcher. You have the chance of recouping your investment that way.

This sounds good as a headline, but I don't think this is a smart organizational move. It is going to cost to much in prospects, he costs to much money for what we intend to spend in 2011 and what we project to spend going forward (policy against mega deals with SP, we bitch about 3 years, let alone what Greinke would want later on). This is not a good idea unless Loria wants to immediately drop him a 2013-2017 extension for $100-110 million. I am serious at that number.

Garza is really good Erick. Greinke is a clear # 1 (regardless that Garza did outpitch him last year), but Garza is a clear # 2. And at the price all things considered, Garza is for sure, the better idea for the Marlins if the Marlins intend to go nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
              Not thinking about payroll Erick. Greinke is a free agent after 2012, and will command close to Cliff Lee money. We'd be trading away a shit ton, for basically 2 years of Greinke and 2 draft picks in 2013 (assuming CBA remains the same).

Unless the Marlins want to make Greinke the centerpiece of the franchise, yes franchise, for the money he will command post 2012, a MUCH MUCH MUCH smarter idea would be to obtain younger starting pitching, like Garza, and giving a more modest 3-4 year contract, which is a good number for a pitcher. You have the chance of recouping your investment that way.

This sounds good as a headline, but I don't think this is a smart organizational move. It is going to cost to much in prospects, he costs to much money for what we intend to spend in 2011 and what we project to spend going forward (policy against mega deals with SP, we bitch about 3 years, let alone what Greinke would want later on). This is not a good idea unless Loria wants to immediately drop him a 2013-2017 extension for $100-110 million. I am serious at that number.

Garza is really good Erick. Greinke is a clear # 1 (regardless that Garza did outpitch him last year), but Garza is a clear # 2. And at the price all things considered, Garza is for sure, the better idea for the Marlins if the Marlins intend to go nuts.
              Payroll is expected to go up 15-20 million next year.

Even if the payroll ends up being an issue, Grienke is so good that you can deal him for better prospects later on because he'd probably be even better in the NL/one of the best pitchers in the league.

I wouldn't be opposed to your Garza trade either, but Grienke would be totally awesome; Morrison, Coghlan, James, and Marinez as you suggested, wouldn't be a big deal to me if we had to give that up to get him.

We could also trade the likes of Leo and Nolasco to help with the payroll flexibility, etc.
              Last edited by Erick; 12-08-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                Grienke is in the Josh Johnson caliber of pitchers.

He's A LOT better than Ricky Nolasco.
                He's also a lot better than Garza, if you ask me.

This is the same guy who was absolutely dominant in 2009 and won the Cy Young in the AL...and is still in his prime, with amazing stuff.

As long as the prospect's name isn't Mike Stanton, the Royals can have whatever they want.

For what it's worth, I'd rather trade Morrison than trade Dominguez, anyway.
                I can't imagine Greinke coming over to us without giving up Stanton. Which is why I thinkthe deal broke down. I think Stanton was in the trade, but Beinfest came to realize that its wouldnt make sense.
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                  I can't imagine Greinke coming over to us without giving up Stanton. Which is why I thinkthe deal broke down. I think Stanton was in the trade, but Beinfest came to realize that its wouldnt make sense.
                  If the talks were real, I'm assuming that's true, as well. Especially since the Royals OF might be the worst in the big leagues.

In that case, I'd say no to such a deal. Stanton = untouchable.

Comment

Morrison and Cogs are both OFs, or at least can play in the OF. Hell, on this team they're both playing in the same outfield.

Have to imagine they wouldn't trade for Greinke unless they could sign him to an extension. They're not going to use him as a rental.

Comment

Wow, crash in an afternoon and you miss cool stuff
                      CSBC Commish

Comment

So wait...we're talking to the Royals and Rangers SEPARATELY? Could we be trying for Young?

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          Payroll is expected to go up 15-20 million next year.

Even if the payroll ends up being an issue, Grienke is so good that you can deal him for better prospects later on because he'd probably be even better in the NL/one of the best pitchers in the league.

I wouldn't be opposed to your Garza trade either, but Grienke would be totally awesome and Morrison, Coghlan, James, and Marinez as you suggested, wouldn't be a big deal to me if we had to give that up to get him.

We could also trade the likes of Leo and Nolasco to help with the payroll flexibility, etc.
                          If we're contending in 2012, we wouldn't trade Greinke negating your trade theory. You don't trade for Greinke to trade him for later. You trade him, to keep him forever, like Boston is doing with Adrian. I mean, I'm fine if they immediately extend him 4-5 years at whatever price, but that is eating up massive amounts (way more than J. Upton) of future payroll. And is super scary locking up arms for that long for that price. I mean, whatever Cliff signs for is going to look terrible in 4 years. Is this a good idea? Probably not. This has a high potential to backfire, and raises so many issues to resigning Hanley and JJ down the road, let alone if Stanton turns into Ryan Howard.

I think a pitcher like Garza, especially a lefty if one exists, is a much better idea. Get a guy with a few arb years, is still a # 2, and don't trade the farm. Trade one main piece like Morrison or Coghlan, Nunez, and extra relievers. That should get you something pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                            So wait...we're talking to the Royals and Rangers SEPARATELY? Could we be trying for Young?
                            Young will make 16mil annually till 2013. No thanks
                            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                            Tom Koehler(4-0)
                            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by Fish and Chips View Post
                              Young will make 16mil annually till 2013. No thanks
                              I'm pretty sure Texas said they would eat some of his contract. I'm just speculating, but who else on Texas could we be trying to get?
                              --------------------
                              #Marlins Heard there is no truth that the Marlins talked Greinke w Royals
                              http://twitter.com/JoeFrisaro/status/12667484716924929
                              Last edited by Valid; 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that this rumor is absolute crap.

A 3 team deal that was involving Texas...why would Texas even be involved in talks that would result in Grienke becoming a Marlin when all along they've wanted Grienke in Texas?

Rosenthal (usually a credible source) probably not so credible this time.

According to Rosenthal though, the Marlins and Rangers have been discussing trades for relievers. I wouldn't doubt if that's where Leo Nunez ends up going, and we get something in return from them, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X