No announcement yet.

Marlins Target Greinke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marlins, a team not previously linked to Greinke, attempted to trade for the Royals’ ace Wednesday, according to a major-league source.

The Rangers stand to lose the most if the Marlins or another club acquires Grienke – particularly if free-agent left-hander Cliff Lee bolts for the Yankees or another team.The deal never was close, and the possibility of the discussions reviving is only “lukewarm,” the source said.

But the Marlins, who have a history of pursuing blockbusters, envisioned pairing Greinke with right-hander Josh Johnson at the top of their rotation.

The Royals are seeking young players in any deal for Greinke. It is unclear whether their talks with the Marlins also included another club.

Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told the Miami Herald that Florida tried to complete a multi-player deal with two other teams, but that the talks stalled.

That trade, however, might have been separate from the Marlins’ pursuit of Greinke.

The Marlins also are talking to the Rangers about deals involving relievers, but a Rangers source strongly denied that the team was discussing a three-way with Florida. The Rangers, according to numerous sources, want Greinke for themselves.

The Marlins, though, clearly are in aggressive mode. Two of their most prominent players — right-hander Ricky Nolasco and closer Leo Nunez — are in play in trade discussions, a source said.

The Royals are quite specific in what they want for Grienke — pitching to replace him and help at one or more of the four up-the-middle positions (center field, shortstop, second base and catcher).

Five teams are seriously pursuing Greinke, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions. Another three are on the periphery of the talks.

Among the teams that also have shown at least a measure of interest in Greinke, according to sources and reports: The Rangers, Dodgers, Nationals and Blue Jays.

Some rival executives believe the Rangers are in position to make the best offer for Greinke, if they haven’t already. But other sources say there is no front-runner.

“There are multiple opportunities,” one source said. “(The Royals) are moving very slowly, dissecting every player.”
    Rosenthal article

Comment

I thought Grienke was making less in '11, but he's actually making 13.5 million next year. That makes this completely unrealistic. Nolasco and Nunez don't even combine to make Grienke money.

So yeah, Lou's probably right. It's more than likely stupid to end up giving pitchers such long-term, pricey deals anyway. We have three other franchise players to take care of. I guess it took me about an hour + advanced research to realize that this isn't such a good idea/sounds like complete BS.

The new rumor of the Marlins and Rangers swapping relievers sounds a lot more realistic.

Comment

The Royals are quite specific in what they want for Grienke — pitching to replace him and help at one or more of the four up-the-middle positions (center field, shortstop, second base and catcher).
        ricky, cc, ozzy and something?

I would do this because I'd rather not gamble with CC in center.

Comment

Everyone should check out the thread on mb.com for laughter.
          People there actually seem to think that all Grienke is worth is Nolasco, Nunez, and prospect with little upside (Ozzie Martinez being the one mentioned most)...

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post

Unless that "something" is Morrison, Kansas City would never do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              So yeah, Lou's probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post

That's too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                  That's too much.
                  No it's not.

Comment

I believe swifty was being sarcastic.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here's an updated article, basically the same as MBA posted but with a bit more info.

Ken Rosenthal:
                          UpdatedDec 9, 2010 1:13 AM ET
                          LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA.
                          The Zack Greinke talk just keeps getting hotter.

The Marlins, a team not previously linked to Greinke, attempted to make a three-team trade for the Royals’ ace on Wednesday, according to a major-league source.

WINTER MEETINGS
                          Is an MVP-caliber trade in store for your team? Follow every offseason move. Read MLB Buzz Blog.

The Marlins’ proposed deal for Greinke, which also involved the Rangers, never gained momentum, sources said.

The discussions could revive at a later time, but one source described that possibility as only “lukewarm.”

The Rangers stand the most to lose if the Marlins or another club acquires Grienke — particularly if free-agent left-hander Cliff Lee bolts for the Yankees or another team.

But the Marlins, who have a history of pursuing blockbusters, envisioned pairing Greinke with right-hander Josh Johnson at the top of their rotation.

The Royals are seeking young players in any deal for Greinke. The Marlins-Rangers portion included an exchange of relievers, and the Royals would have acquired prospects from both teams.

A Rangers source strongly denied that such a deal was discussed. The Rangers, according to numerous sources, want Greinke for themselves.

The Marlins, though, are always aggressive and creative. Closer Leo Nunez is in play in trade discussions, one source said. Right-hander Ricky Nolasco may be, too.

Five teams are seriously pursuing Greinke, the source said. Another three are on the periphery of the discussions.

Among the teams that also have shown at least a measure of interest, according to sources and reports: The Rangers, Dodgers, Nationals and Blue Jays.

Some rival executives believe the Rangers are in position to make the best offer for Greinke, if they haven’t already. But other sources say there is no front-runner.

“There are multiple opportunities,” one source said. “(The Royals) are moving very slowly, dissecting every player.”
                          Last edited by Big Z; 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Lets do it!

Comment

stop

Comment

Make me Ramp.

/you know you can

Comment

Working...
                                X