No announcement yet.

Marlins Target Greinke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you seem surprised that trade rumors are happening during the winter meetings

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
      you seem surprised that trade rumors are happening during the winter meetings
      Like every winter meeting where we are rumored to get a past Cy Young winner?

Comment

we got Cy Young winners over here!

/bigmac

Comment

Frisy:

JoeFrisaro

#Marlins Heard Nolasco is not being traded. Even if he fails to sign multiyr deal, team plans on keeping him in 11 and 12. His final arb yrs
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
            Frisy:
            Pussies.

Comment

Queremos Greinke!

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                Queremos Greinke!
                Stugotz saying Nolasco and Grienke are the same thing and we shouldn't be excited about this .

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  Stugotz saying Nolasco and Grienke are the same thing and we shouldn't be excited about this .
                  I kinda agree, but Greinke is one or two ticks better If Nolasco is on the entire season, he could be as good.
                  --------------------
                  The latest:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Heading into the Winter Meetings, the Marlins didn't anticipate being involved in any heavy trade discussions.

Most of their major moves occurred prior to settling into the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort.

But things change when you're surrounded by the rest of the league and ambitious ideas get tossed around. Early Tuesday night, the Marlins were presented with something they hadn't expected, and it intrigued them to the point of pursuing what could have been a significant deal.

Beinfest talks to Network
                  00:03:52
                  12/7/10: Marlins GM Larry Beinfest sits down with MLB Network to discuss the offseason activities of the Marlins and their new ballpark
                  Tags: interview, MLB Network, Florida Marlins, analysis, MLBN Hot StoveShare:
                  Facebook
                  Twitter
                  Email
                  Related Video

Rodriguez on Stanton, Vazquez

GM Zduriencik on offseason moves

Hedley on their new album

Gammons on Twins' payroll
                  Late Wednesday afternoon, however, president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said the enticing scenario fell through.

"We had something come our way that was multiplayer that we'd been working on since last night," Beinfest said. "I don't think it's going to happen. I just don't see it happening. It was actually a lot bigger than anything we had contemplated. It was multiplayer. I just don't think it's going to make sense."

The specifics of the possible trade weren't revealed. But Beinfest noted it involved two other teams and players on the big league roster.

So for now, the Marlins were engaged in a "trade that wasn't." From the sounds of things, it appears unlikely the now-dead deal will resurface.

Why didn't the deal happen?

"I think the moving parts in it, and it ultimately making sense to us," Beinfest said. "On the surface, it may have been interesting. It was interesting. We wanted to pursue it, and it dealt with some parts of our Major League club.

"In the end, I don't think we were going to be able to make it work and have us comfortable with how it was going to end up. It involved multiplayers and multiteams."

The Marlins are searching for experienced southpaw relievers who have good numbers against left-handers. They also are in the market for a left-handed bat off the bench.

There has been speculation that the Marlins have interest in a center fielder, largely because Chris Coghlan has never played the position.

With a strong work ethic and because of his athleticism, manager Edwin Rodriguez is confident Coghlan will be able to handle the shift from left field to center.

"I have managed Chris Coghlan for four years now," Rodriguez said, including the Minor Leagues. "So I know not only his physical abilities of what he's capable of doing but also his makeup. Don't tell Chris that he can't do anything because he will take that personally, and I'm sure that he knows that there's a lot of concern about him playing center field. I'm sure right now that he's getting ready, not just physically, but mentally ready to play the position.

"I have no doubt that because of his baseball sense, his instincts for the game, he's a very good, smart baseball guy."

While the Marlins will explore trades, a more realistic way to add players between now and Spring Training is free agency. The team has an interest in lefty reliever Joe Beimel.

"I think we've concentrated on that a little more than we have the trade front," Beinfest said of free agency. "We've had this [trade] thing going on the last 12 hours. Other than that, most of our talk has been trying to add rather than trade. If it's been trade, it's been minor. Very minor."
                  Last edited by Miamarlin21; 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Don't tell Chris that he can't do anything because he will take that personally
                    CHRIS, YOU SUCK AT 2B AND DO NOT BELONG IN THE INFIELD. FUCK YOU. STAY IN CENTER FIELD AND ROT.

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
                      I kinda agree, but Greinke is one or two ticks better If Nolasco is on the entire season, he could be as good.
                      You're both wrong
                      --------------------
                      Does Mike Hill even get invited to the Winter Meetings? Or does he have a hotel at The Grand Floridian?
                      Last edited by Ramp; 12-08-2010, 05:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                        You're both wrong
                        --------------------
                        Does Mike Hill even get invited to the Winter Meetings? Or does he have a hotel at The Grand Floridian?
                        Sir, I am not wrong. I am never wrong. I am wrongless. As the famous SFM saying says, Get over it.

Comment

Clarifying: #Marlins definitely tried for Greinke. Marlins also talking to Rangers. Rangers deny 3-team deal discussed. Talks fluid. #MLB
                          Ken Rosenthal tweets

Ok so the teams were not all necessarily together... still think in the end LoMo was headed out (with others) for Greinke. Then Nolasco and Nunez would be out too, because we can't afford Greinke's $13.5mil salary this season.
                          --------------------
                          Sir, I am not wrong. I am never wrong. I am wrongless. As the famous SFM saying says, Get over it.
                          Then tell me why Nolasco is kind of on the same level of Greinke. Drop some knowledge on me.
                          Last edited by Ramp; 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I can think of very few scenarios in which I would not make the move for Greinke.

If, as Ken says, talks are "fluid" I'm hopeful something can get done. Really, we'll come out ahead in just about any deal that ends up getting consummated (because we won't do the dumb ones - IE, sending JJ, Hanley or Stanton out).

Comment

That article with Beinfest doesn't make it sound too promising.

Comment

That could be the three teamer that involved the Rockies. That article doesn't take a stab at anything specific.

Judging by what's being reported, the only trade that we nixed involved Ricky and Colorado.

Comment

Working...
                                X