No announcement yet.

Marlins Shift Focus to Starting Pitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that talks between Javier Vazquez and the Marlins have gotten "hot."
    Vazquez wants a one-year deal, according to Stark, and has rejected at least one offer worth about $20 million over two years. The Rockies, Nationals, Marlins, Cardinals and Cubs have made contact with the right-hander's representatives thus far. The Yankees offered arbitration to Vazquez on Tuesday but he looks poised to leave New York after posting a 5.32 ERA in 31 appearances with the Yanks this season.

Rotoworld
    One year? Shitting me?

Comment

Ehhh. That's not for me.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Probably thinks he can have a good year in the NL and get a juicier multi-year deal next offseason.

Comment

I'd still do it.

If we're not in it, we can trade him.

Comment

I'd be all over a one year deal.

First, like Hugg said, if the team falls out of contention he's easy to trade.

Second, with a one year deal Vazquez has that extra motivation, if you believe in that stuff, to do well in order to get one last big deal.

Third, if Vazquez flops, they're not on the hook for a bad contract heading into 2012, and they can always re-up with the "new stadium money" if they want to keep him around.

Fourth, if he pitches well, do what the Yanks are doing now and offer arb and take the picks.

Fifth, ideally Brad Hand will have a strong year in AA and be ready in 2012, and he can fill that spot if Vazquez vacates, Volstad struggles, etc. Vazquez leaving would open up a spot for him.

Do it. Now. Vazquez on a one year deal is the best possible step here. Plus, they may be able to work out a deal with Ricky where he takes less money this year on an extension and gets more in 2012 when Vazquez may be off the books.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
              Ehhh. That's not for me.
              Really? I think this is the perfect scenario. There's very little risk involved with a one year deal. I really hope it happens now.

Comment

Very true Erick. I dunno, I guess it won't matter to me in the end. I'll be ok with that.

Comment

Yeah, I dont get it. Why wouldnt the tightwad FO want to sign him to a one year deal? Seems like a win-win.

Comment

Javier Vazquez isn't a Marlin yet. But contract negotiations to bring him to Florida have gotten "hot," according to one source familiar with those discussions.

Vazquez has been atop the Marlins' shopping list for a week, since the trade of Dan Uggla freed up money for a veteran starting pitcher. And sources within the industry told ESPN.com late Tuesday that the club's negotiations with the 34-year-old right-hander were "moving forward."

It's viewed as unlikely a deal would be finished until after Thanksgiving. But other clubs that have expressed interest in Vazquez are now saying they're pessimistic about their chances of signing him.

Vazquez has told people he's close to he wants just a one-year contract in "the right place." And it now appears Florida is that place. Reports last week said he recently had lunch with Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez. Both are from Puerto Rico.

Vazquez is coming off a difficult year in New York, where he went 10-10 with a 5.32 ERA for the Yankees. But the Marlins, Washington Nationals, Chicago Cubs and Colorado Rockies are all known to have shown interest in him this winter.

In fact, there has been enough interest, sources told ESPN.com, that Vazquez has already turned down two multiyear offers -- one of which was believed by other clubs to be potentially worth $20 million over the two years.

It isn't known what the Marlins have offered, though it's unlikely it would approach $10 million a year. However, Vazquez has been portrayed himself this winter as being more concerned with finding the right fit than the most dollars.

At age 34, his preference for a one-year deal would also seem to indicate he has reached the stage of his career where he wants to go year-to-year and assess his future after he sees how he pitches in 2011.

Vazquez is a Type B free agent. He was offered arbitration by the Yankees on Tuesday, apparently with an informal understanding that he wouldn't accept. The Yankees are well aware he has no interest in returning, so offering arbitration assures them of draft-pick compensation when he signs elsewhere.
                    Javier Vazquez talks get 'hot'

Comment

I reallllly hope we get Vazquez but we're also talking about a guy who say his FB MPH drop over 2 last year. Definitely only want a one year deal.

Comment

So that means our rotation will likely be this: JJ, Ricky, Javy, Sanchez, Volstad

Then Trips will be:
                        Sanabia
                        West
                        Koehler
                        Villaneuva
                        Stone/signee

Comment

I like a JJ-Ricky-Javy-Anibal-Volstad rotation. And I like moving Sanabia to the Pen and going with a Sanabia-Richardson (or vet LHP)-Dunn-Mujica-Sanches-Webb-Hensley bullpen.

A lot.
                          poop

Comment

Veras isn't a free agent, is he?

If he is still with us here's our bullpen:

Hopper
                            Mujica
                            Dunn
                            Veras
                            Webb
                            Sanches
                            Leo

That would give us 12 pitchers.

If either Leo or Veras don't return, that would leave Alejandro, Ceda, Marinez and Richardson fighting for the final spot.
                            --------------------
                            Totally forgot bout Hensley. Our bullpen is basically set then. I don't think Veras will be back so we already have all the spots filled.

Then again, we could trade Hopper, Leo or even Sanches.
                            Last edited by Miamarlin21; 11-24-2010, 02:19 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                              Veras isn't a free agent, is he?

If he is still with us here's our bullpen:

Hopper
                              Mujica
                              Dunn
                              Veras
                              Webb
                              Sanches
                              Leo

That would give us 12 pitchers.

If either Leo or Veras don't return, that would leave Alejandro, Ceda, Marinez and Richardson fighting for the final spot.
                              --------------------
                              Totally forgot bout Hensley. Our bullpen is basically set then. I don't think Veras will be back so we already have all the spots filled.

Then again, we could trade Hopper, Leo or even Sanches.
                              Veras and Badenhop are into arbitration, so there is no reason to guarantee their salaries when they would be, at best, our 5th best RHP coming out of the gates. Leo, is just a payroll decision.

Hensley, Webb, Mujica, Sanches, and Dunn are locks. They will have a camp competition with Sanabia, West, Mharinez, Ceda, Cishek, Richardson, Jennings, and veteran minor league free agents for the last RHP and second LHP spots, given no more signings. Which I find doubtful as I see a veteran LHP coming as soon as this Javy/SP thing is figured out and Nunez/Veras/Badenhop/Paulino are traded or DFA'd respectively.

Nothing crazy here, but that just is what it is. It would be ideal to have some veterans be the the other two slots, and roll out an absolutely devastating AAA staff:

SP - Sanabia, West, Koehler, Villanueva, Poveda/Mendez/Rosario (Trahern?)
                              RP - Mharinez, Ceda, Cishek, Jennings, Richardson, Reed, Buente, and MILB FA/AAAA players

That, is no joke. That could be two backend MLB starters and literally 6+ moderate/backend bullpen arms in 2011, with major growth potential. Depth would be nice for once.

Comment

Working...
                              X