Marlins Shift Focus to Starting Pitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Shift Focus to Starting Pitching

Owner Jeffrey Loria arrived in Orlando Wednesday pronouncing the club’s desire to have one of the toughest bullpens in the league. They’ve already acquired four major league ready relievers in the Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin and Dan Uggla trades.

A source said the Marlins have now shifted their focus a bit to starting pitching. The Marlins aren’t close on anything, but they’re exploring both the free agent and trade market for a starter to compliment Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad. They have some internal options for that No. 5 spot, including Sean West, Alex Sanabia, Elih Villanueva and Tom Koehler, but the Marlins appear to have enough money to sign or acquire a moderately priced veteran.

Carl Pavano’s name has been tossed around because of his previous ties to the Marlins and relationship with Loria. Problem there is that Pavano arguably is the best available starter on the market behind Cliff Lee and he’s likely looking for a contract that reflects that. That Pavano is a type A free agent wouldn’t impact the Marlins. The top 15 picks are protected and the Marlins have the 14th overall selection in 2011. If the Marlins do sign a Type A guy that’s been offered salary arbitration they would lose their second round pick.

A good alternative to Pavano might be Javier Vazquez. The Marlins ownership group had him in Montreal. Vazquez is coming off a rough year with the Yankees, but he’s been a far better pitcher in the National League. As recently as 2009 with the Braves, Vazquez was 15-10 with a 2.87 ERA. Before 2010, when he totaled 157 2/3 innings for the Yankees, Vazquez had tossed 198 or more innings in 10 consecutive seasons.

Vazquez is represented by the Sam and Seth Levinsons’ ACES group, the same agency that handles John Buck. You have to wonder whether Vazquez’s name didn’t come up when the Marlins were ironing out the three-year deal for Buck.

Some other seasoned free agent starters that might be had for reasonable cost on short-term deals: Chris Young, Jeff Francis, Aaron Harang, Brad Penny, Freddy Garcia and Ben Sheets.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

Vazquez back in the NL would be wonderful

I can handle Javy V.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Javier Vazquez and Ricky Nolasco on the same team? How would you tell them apart?
      poop

Comment

Pavano is the best option, but I wouldn't at all mind Vazquez.

Comment

Ricky would hopefully be in the desert

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
            If they get Javy V and Jups for Ricky and Lomo that would be too for me for this team.
            poop

Comment

!!!
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Yeah, Javy would be for me.

Signing Javy and acquiring Justin Upton would make for a fantastic offseason.

Comment

joecapMARLINS: Doesn't look like #Marlins will make a run at Carl Pavano like they did last year
                  /Twitter

Comment

oh well, get me Javy

Comment

Yeah, adding Vazquez makes Nolasco totally expndable. I love it.

This team appears to be thinking ahead with all of their moves. This is exciting.
                      poop

Comment

oh well, get me Javy
                        All right hander rotation.... I don't know why I am opposed to this, maybe spiritually? But I really think they need the alternate look.

Rather gamble on Bedard than Javy figuring it out. Seriously.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Yeah, adding Vazquez makes Nolasco totally expndable. I love it.

This team appears to be thinking ahead with all of their moves. This is exciting.
                        But if this is the plan, sure
                        Last edited by lou; 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Who would of thought the off-season would be more exciting than the actual season itself (besides watching Big Mike do his thing).

Comment

Yea, definitely more excited about baseball than I was the last 20 weeks combined

Comment

I wouldn't mind Javy.

This thing is kinda weird-the Marlins actually signing players during the offseason. I think I like it.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                              X