Marlins Shift Focus to Starting Pitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
    I just re-read Stark's piece. The Marlins bid for Pavano last offseason and even reached an agreement? Really? That's surprising.
    I assume he means season before last? Didn't Pavano accept arbitration? And I remember things from then being we were close to signing him

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      Any reports on what Vazquez is asking?
      Jake Westbrook got 2/$16.5

Vazquez is going to be in the $7-9 million range for 2 years after his stinker this last year

Comment

Javier Vazquez has told associates that he’d like to pitch for the Marlins, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. The right-hander would like to return to the National League and Florida has added appeal, since Miami is relatively close to Puerto Rico, his home country.

Vazquez has become the Marlins’ top pitching target, but they may not be able to afford him. Rodriguez hears that Vazquez has received some offers that could price him out of the Marlins’ grasp. After struggling through the 2010 season, Vazquez wasn’t expecting to see offers like the ones he’s getting, though it's unclear what those offers actually look like.

-MLBTR

Comment

associates?

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            Jake Westbrook got 2/$16.5

Vazquez is going to be in the $7-9 million range for 2 years after his stinker this last year
            I'd love him at 5 mil a year.
            poop

Comment

Free agent starter Javier Vazquez has told associates he would love a return engagement in the National League, particularly with the Florida Marlins due in part to the proximity to his native Puerto Rico. Fellow Puerto Rican Edwin Rodriguez has a relationship with Vazquez, as do several members of the Marlins front office that had Vazquez in Montreal.

Seems like a perfect fit, especially considering the Marlins are in the market for an innings-eating veteran of Vazquez’s ilk. Wednesday at the General Managers’ meetings, President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said, “If something makes sense given the allocation, then yeah, a starting pitcher, I don’t think you can go wrong…It’s a reasonable to say that a starting pitcher would be a good add to this team.”

Here’s the stumbling block: According to a source that has spoken to Vazquez, he’s already received some hefty offers, the kind the Marlins would have trouble meeting. Vazquez, 34, might sign for slightly less to pitch in South Florida, but it would have to be a competitive offer. At this point, it’s clear some teams are willing to overpay for Vazquez, who before last season had totaled 198 or more innings in 10 consecutive years. Coming off a down year with the Yankees, even Vazquez has been surprised at the money teams have put on the table for him.

In 2010, Vazquez earned $11.5 million in the final season of a three-year, $34.5 million deal he signed with the White Sox, who traded him to the Braves before the 2009 season. It’s not inconceivable that Vazquez might command another eight-figure salary for at least two more years, especially from an NL team. The Rockies are among the clubs believed to have interest.

Vazquez is represented by the Levinson brothers’ ACES group, the same agency that struck a three-year, $18 million deal with the Marlins for catcher John Buck. If the Marlins can find the financial wherewithal to put together a competitive deal, Vazquez likely is ready and willing to sign.
              RHP Javier Vazquez would love to play for the Marlins

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                I assume he means season before last? Didn't Pavano accept arbitration? And I remember things from then being we were close to signing him
                Yeah, he did agree to arb, but maybe the Marlins were discussing a deal with him before? I dunno.

Anyway, here's the full JuanC article:

Free agent starter Javier Vazquez has told associates he would love a return engagement in the National League, particularly with the Florida Marlins due in part to the proximity to his native Puerto Rico. Fellow Puerto Rican Edwin Rodriguez has a relationship with Vazquez, as do several members of the Marlins front office that had Vazquez in Montreal.

Seems like a perfect fit, especially considering the Marlins are in the market for an innings-eating veteran of Vazquez’s ilk. Wednesday at the General Managers’ meetings, President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said, “If something makes sense given the allocation, then yeah, a starting pitcher, I don’t think you can go wrong…It’s a reasonable to say that a starting pitcher would be a good add to this team.”

Here’s the stumbling block: According to a source that has spoken to Vazquez, he’s already received some hefty offers, the kind the Marlins would have trouble meeting. Vazquez, 34, might sign for slightly less to pitch in South Florida, but it would have to be a competitive offer. At this point, it’s clear some teams are willing to overpay for Vazquez, who before last season had totaled 198 or more innings in 10 consecutive years. Coming off a down year with the Yankees, even Vazquez has been surprised at the money teams have put on the table for him.

In 2010, Vazquez earned $11.5 million in the final season of a three-year, $34.5 million deal he signed with the White Sox, who traded him to the Braves before the 2009 season. It’s not inconceivable that Vazquez might command another eight-figure salary for at least two more years, especially from an NL team. The Rockies are among the clubs believed to have interest.

Vazquez is represented by the Levinson brothers’ ACES group, the same agency that struck a three-year, $18 million deal with the Marlins for catcher John Buck. If the Marlins can find the financial wherewithal to put together a competitive deal, Vazquez likely is ready and willing to sign.
                http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...n=Feed:+marlin

Comment

#Milwaukee and #Washington out front in Carl Pavano sweepstakes
                  - twotter

Comment

Dunno where else to put this, but if Joel Zumaya gets non-tendered, would anyone be interested? I've loved him since he's been a prospect and he's nasty when healthy. However, staying healthy is pretty hard for him. Nevertheless, if the price isn't high, I'd sign him
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I'd rather spend the money on a lefty. We're good on righties.
                      --------------------
                      The #Nats have expressed interest in right-hander Javier Vazquez. The club could make an offer to Vazquez as early as next week. I'll have more on #MLB.com.
                      http://www.twitlonger.com/show/731nfp
                      Last edited by Valid; 11-20-2010, 10:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I stick to going after Capuano, he's a low risk high reward guy. I'm not "fine" with throwing 10 mil at Pavz or Javy.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                          I stick to going after Capuano, he's a low risk high reward guy. I'm not "fine" with throwing 10 mil at Pavz or Javy.
                          Capuano's like Mujica without as many K's/worse stuff (gives up lots of HR's). I don't see much upside in him, over the course of a full year.

If the Marlins sign a guy like Capuano, they'd probably put him in the bullpen as the "2nd lefty" instead of in the rotation. It seems like they're looking for a bigger splash in the rotation.

Regarding Capuano though...if you look at his splits, he's one of those starters who would probably be much better in the pen, at this point in his career.

Comment

Capuano with his history of arm troubles is best suited for the rotation.. He knows he is going to get the ball every 5th day and gets his bullpen sessions regularly too.. The brewers tried him out of the pen the past season it wasn't very good.. He is a starter

Comment

The Yankees plan to offer salary arbitration to free-agent right-hander Javier Vazquez, but not because they want to retain him.
                              Vazquez, a Type B free agent, has agreed to reject the Yankees' offer, enabling the team to collect a supplemental draft pick between the first and second rounds when he signs with another team, major-league sources say.
                              Teams frequently make such gentlemen's agreements with Type B free agents. No harm is done to the signing team, which does not lose a pick for signing a Type B player.
                              Yankees general manager Brian Cashman enjoys a strong relationship with Vazquez's agents, Sam and Seth Levinson. Vazquez likely would receive a raise from his $11.5 million salary if he accepted arbitration. But Cashman would not make the offer without receiving assurances from the Levinsons that Vazquez would reject the one-year, non-guaranteed deal and remain on the open market.
                              The Nationals and Marlins are among the teams pursuing Vazquez.
                              Why Yankees will offer J. Vazquez arbitration

Comment

Ken_Rosenthal: Can confirm @jaysonst report about #Marlins' pursuit of Vazquez. Extensive discussions between sides today. Decision rests w Marlins. #MLB
                                /Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X