No announcement yet.

Left-handed Pitching a Priority to Acquire This Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should look at Oakland, I read today on the SF Chronicle that the A's are looking for some pop this off season. First name that rings a bell is Dan Uggla. If we can get Braden or Gio, in a deal involving Uggla, do you pull the trigger? They're very well off pitching wise, and at the expense of one of those two guys, i'm sure they would love a deal for Uggla.

Comment

But Uggla cares!

Comment

I'm not so sure, I'm not sure he fits a single thing they like organizationally except that he has pop
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

In what world is Oakland paying Dan Uggla's salary*, or even considering giving him an extension?

*yes, they did acquire Holliday when he was in the last year of his deal, but Holliday is waaaaay better than Uggla and had much more value at the deadline when he was shopped than Uggla would next July

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
            I'm not so sure, I'm not sure he fits a single thing they like organizationally except that he has pop
            Good OBP?

Comment

Couldn't Uggla DH? Keeps him out of the field

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                We should look at Oakland, I read today on the SF Chronicle that the A's are looking for some pop this off season. First name that rings a bell is Dan Uggla. If we can get Braden or Gio, in a deal involving Uggla, do you pull the trigger? They're very well off pitching wise, and at the expense of one of those two guys, i'm sure they would love a deal for Uggla.
                I don't really want to trade one of our two most important hitters for an area that doesn't necessarily need that much shoring up. Our starting rotation is pretty good.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                Couldn't Uggla DH? Keeps him out of the field
                I highly doubt Uggla would want to DH.
                Last edited by Valid; 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                  In what world is Oakland paying Dan Uggla's salary*, or even considering giving him an extension?

*yes, they did acquire Holliday when he was in the last year of his deal, but Holliday is waaaaay better than Uggla and had much more value at the deadline when he was shopped than Uggla would next July
                  Their core salary obligations 2011:

Mark Ellis $6 million (option)
                  Coco Crisp $5.75 million (option)
                  Kouzmanoff $4.25 million (roundball arbitration)
                  Jack Cust $4 million (roundball arbitration)
                  Conor Jackson $3.5 million (roundball arbitration)
                  Suzuki $3.4 million
                  Chavez $3 million
                  Dallas Braden $3 million (roundball arbitration)
                  Wuertz $2.8 million
                  Ryan Sweeney $2.5 million (roundball arbitration)
                  Raja Davis $2.5 million (roundball arbitration)

So if they keep all of this, which they won't, that's like $48 million bucks. Everyone else is club controlled, so let's add another $6 and that's $54 million. Their 2010 payroll was $58, 2009 $62. so there is a little gap left. And concerning Uggla, if they merely turn down Ellis, that's Uggla's payroll onto the team right now. And that's ignoring, I can't imagine they pick up more than two of Crisp, Cust, Sweeny, Co Jack, and Davis. And that clears up another easy another $10 million for their annual "let's give Ben Sheets $10 million bucks" type contract.

Uggla is very valuable to Beane, because he brings instant credibility to the middle of the lineup, he has defenders all around him to counter act that, and because you get two first round draft picks after 2011. It's a lot of bang for your buck without a longterm commitment, plus prospect recoupment.

Financially, that's not a problem.

Compensationally, is why I think it's not going to happen as there is no way Beane will give the Marlins Anderson, Cahill, or Gio. Braden is interesting, but he doesn't fit the MO of pitchers Marlins target, and he hits first year of arbitration and I suspect the Marlins will look to get a guy with 1-2 years experience. I can't see the Marlins settling for a minor league package.

And honestly, it sounds like the fish are going to resign Uggla, keep Coghlan at 3B, and if Dominguez works out, see who sucks the most out of Coghlan, Gaby, and Logan, and then trade the loser for pitching, so I kind of see this as a big non-issue. I think Gaby is in trouble, as the Marlins will prefer to keep the two lefties but we'll see.

Comment

I feel Uggla is being underrated here. Dan just hit .287 33 HR's 105 RBI's and had a OBP of .369. Uggla will provide the A's a power bat for years to come and he could be a very reliable and durable asset to that team. With this move we will have about $10 mil to work with this offseason and we add a young, talented LHP that can be anywhere in the 3-5 spot in the rotation for years to come.

Comment

I'm sure the A's will get right on it.

Comment

I feel Uggla is being underrated here. Dan just hit .287 33 HR's 105 RBI's and had a OBP of .369. Uggla will provide the A's a power bat for years to come and he could be a very reliable and durable asset to that team. With this move we will have about $10 mil to work with this offseason and we add a young, talented LHP that can be anywhere in the 3-5 spot in the rotation for years to come.
                        Not really sure where you see Uggla being underrated around these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                          Not really sure where you see Uggla being underrated around these parts.
                          I'm just trying to say that some people on this forum underrate him. They're saying he isn't good enough to reel in one of the guys from OAK.

Comment

not really, i mean, he's under .350 for his career. i doubt that makes up for his massive salary/defensive shortcomings
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                              not really, i mean, he's under .350 for his career. i doubt that makes up for his massive salary/defensive shortcomings
                              that's not completely fair, he's a much better player than he was in 2006 and 2007
                              --------------------
                              I'm just trying to say that some people on this forum underrate him. They're saying he isn't good enough to reel in one of the guys from OAK.
                              This isn't the case at all.... I think
                              Last edited by Ramp; 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

i didn't go on to page 3 so i was replying to the end of page 2 prior to that discussion btw. i didn't look

anyway, i don't think anyone is saying he isn't good enough to get one of those guys, it's just that the A's wouldn't do a trade like that.

also trading dan uggla doesn't mean we have $10 million to work with, it more likely means our payroll will be $10 million less

Comment

Working...
                                X