No announcement yet.

Left-handed Pitching a Priority to Acquire This Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His K/BB has increased 3 strait years, and his HR/9 has jumped because of park mostly, from safeco to bandbox. Coming here I'd expect it to go back down to his ~1.1 career.

I really don't expect him to be any worse than Sanabia, West, or Volstad.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Hugg View Post
    Jamie Moyer is .190/.213/.338 against in Citizens Bank this season. He's been considerably worse away from home. His home run rate is higher away from home too.
    I hate "home/away" splits

Park factors are so, so much better
    Last edited by nny; 09-30-2010, 12:52 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He fucking sucks

Comment

So do Volstad, West, Sanabia, and any bullpen arm on the FA market in our price range

Comment

Moyer's HR/9

Last 2 Years:
          Home: 1.46
          Away: 1.63

Last 3 Years:
          Home: 1.31
          Away: 1.25

Comment

Again: I think splits are home/away splits are stupid because there are so much noise in them.

And if you're going to do that then would not the best way to do it it is the biggest sample size?

Since '07
            Home: 1.40
            Away: 1.22

You're cherry picking stats that fit what you want
            --------------------
            I mean, let me word it this way: Do you seriously believe Moyer's HR/9 would be higher than than it would at CBP? Because that's essentially what you're saying.
            Last edited by nny; 09-30-2010, 01:13 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              So do Volstad, West, Sanabia, and any bullpen arm on the FA market in our price range
              None of those fucks cost a couple mil
              --------------------
              Or are old as the Parthenon
              Last edited by Metes; 09-30-2010, 01:16 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Again: I think splits are home/away splits are stupid because there are so much noise in them.

And if you're going to do that then would not the best way to do it it is the biggest sample size?

Since '07
                Home: 1.40
                Away: 1.22

You're cherry picking stats that fit what you want
                --------------------
                I mean, let me word it this way: Do you seriously believe Moyer's HR/9 would be higher than than it would at CBP? Because that's essentially what you're saying.
                Well, I do think there's validity to more recent statistics when talking about a 48 year old pitcher. I think his last 2 years are more relevant than the 2 years before that.

And no, I don't think it would be higher, but I don't see much recent evidence to say it'd be much better. I think he'd be the exact same mediocre pitcher for us that he is for them. I don't want ancient Volstad.
                --------------------
                Also could have went with Volstad B.C. or Volstad: The Last Generation
                Last edited by HUGG; 09-30-2010, 01:25 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                  None of those fucks cost a couple mil
                  --------------------
                  Or are old as the Parthenon
                  So you'd rather a bullpen spot go to Tim Wood or Jay Buente or Steven Chisek or any of those fucks?

The point of it is to improve our bullpen from within by putting one of our failed starters in the bullpen, where they should be at least an average arm and possibly (and agree with Swift on Sanabia) above average

If Moyer = Sanabia in the rotation

And Sanabia > any of the realistic bullpen arms available

What's the issue?
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                  I think he'd be the exact same mediocre pitcher for us that he is for them. I don't want ancient Volstad.
                  1) Who said otherwise?

2) Who in that price range is not (either ancient or non-ancient) Volstad?
                  Last edited by nny; 09-30-2010, 01:33 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think we can get that from someone in-house. I'd rather not spend the money without it being a clear upgrade.

Comment

I think if we stay in house our bullpen is going to be complete shit again next year: I think Jose Ceda's and Jhan Marinez's controls are complete and utter shit and that that's being overlooked by everybody because of pretty ERAs and strike out rates and that they'll be closer to Renyel Pinto and Jose Veras than Carlos Marmol; Speak of Veras, he's a piece of shit who has a pretty ERA from smoke and mirrors and I pray we don't tender him a contract; Hey, good interlude for Brian Sanches in the whole lucky ERA deal, although he will at least make the minimum; Badenhop proved his strike out rates were lucky in the majors (holy shit they jumped from minors SP -> major RP) and that he's nothing but an average bullpen arm; Leo Nunez probably won't be back next year; We have no left handed pitcher in house outside of Sean West; Anyone not already named that's a RP name on the 40 man roster or who'll likely be added in the offseason is equally a sub-mediocre piece of shit who we can only pray can have a shit lucky season to at least make believe they don't suck ass and smoke balls

So no, I don't want to stay in house for our bullpen, because only Clay Hensley has huevos

Comment

I think if we stay in house our bullpen is going to be complete shit again next year: I think Jose Ceda's and Jhan Marinez's controls are complete and utter shit and that that's being overlooked by everybody because of pretty ERAs and strike out rates and that they'll be closer to Renyel Pinto and Jose Veras than Carlos Marmol; Speak of Veras, he's a piece of shit who has a pretty ERA from smoke and mirrors and I pray we don't tender him a contract; Hey, good interlude for Brian Sanches in the whole lucky ERA deal, although he will at least make the minimum; Badenhop proved his strike out rates were lucky in the majors (holy shit they jumped from minors SP -> major RP) and that he's nothing but an average bullpen arm; Leo Nunez probably won't be back next year; We have no left handed pitcher in house outside of Sean West; Anyone not already named that's a RP name on the 40 man roster or who'll likely be added in the offseason is equally a sub-mediocre piece of shit who we can only pray can have a shit lucky season to at least make believe they don't suck ass and smoke balls

So no, I don't want to stay in house for our bullpen, because only Clay Hensley has huevos
                        Impressive Rant...and I agree with it all. But I think when Badenhop is used in his 2-3 inning mop-up role, or pen saver, hes very effective. I think trying to use him as a 7th-8th inning guy is what made him unsuccessful this year. But then again, Im borderline MBA-Volstad with Burke. We dont have to do a lot of work in the offseason to at least improve this travesty of a pen, thats the positive. So any average relievers signed to at least increase competition for spots is a small positive from my point of view.

/glasshalffull

Comment

You forgot Miller in addition to West nny.

Comment

I don't expect Miller to be here next year. I'm also not sure on Tank since he's arbitration eligible - though, since he might still has an option left and they only have to pay 50% of his contract when he's in the minors, they could still keep him.

Comment

The clear answer here, and I mean alarmingly clear, is to re-acquire Chris Seddon

Comment

Double AA stud pitchers????

Comment

Working...
                                X