Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left-handed Pitching a Priority to Acquire This Offseason

Calling all southpaws.

The Marlins will be looking for a few good left-handers during the offseason to bolster a pitching staff that was noticeably one-sided in terms of performance.

``It is something that we're going to have to address this winter,'' said Larry Beinfest, president of baseball operations for the Marlins.

Collectively, the Marlins' left-handed pitchers -- starters and relievers -- rank last in the majors with a 5.98 ERA, more than a half-run higher than the next-worst team, the Pirates and their 5.31 lefty ERA.

The Marlins' cast of lefties was filled with disappointment.

Nate Robertson and Renyel Pinto were released when they failed to cut it. Dan Meyer and Taylor Tankersley ended the season in the minors. And Andrew Miller, who is out of options after the season, could be making his final appearance in a Marlins uniform when he takes the mound Wednesday in Atlanta. Miller is 1-4 with an ERA of 8.19.

Even Will Ohman, whom the Marlins acquired from Baltimore at the trading deadline and was largely successful when he was healthy, has missed a big chunk of September with a sore elbow. As a result, manager Edwin Rodriguez has had not a left-handed reliever at his disposal since Sept. 12. Ohman, a free agent after the season, is all there is.

Beinfest said he can live with a five-man rotation that doesn't include a southpaw, just as long as the right-handers can do the job against the juggernaut of lefty wall-busters -- Ryan Howard, Adam Dunn, Brian McCann and Jason Heyward -- who play in the National League East.

The Marlins could feature an all right-handed starting staff next season with Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad and perhaps Alex Sanabia, who has turned heads in the organization. Armed with an effective changeup, Sanabia has been tough on left-handers, who are hitting .204 against him.

But Beinfest said the bullpen is another story.

``Obviously, we have some work to do in the pen,'' Beinfest said.
    Beinfest: Acquiring left-handers is priority

I also can live with the all right-handed rotation of JJ, Ricky, Anibal, Volstad and Sanabia. They've been better than anyone else we've thrown out there as starters this year. I'd much rather focus on the bullpen and bench than the rotation.

Would love to get someone like Jon Lester of the Red Sox

Comment

Well, me too but I'd prefer not to have to give up LoMo, Stanton or half the farm system to get him.

Comment

I could do without half the farm system

Comment

As long as we take it one game at a time and stay within ourselves.

Comment

This is like the defense-first and cut down on strikeouts policy.

Comment

I think we should only play no doubles defense

Comment

I recommend Ryan Rowland-Smith

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                    This is like the defense-first and cut down on strikeouts policy.
                    Yeah, I don't really care about this kind of shit. When they actually do shit, that's when to care

Comment

Jamie Moyer

/would not be shocked if they considered him a legitimate option

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                        Jamie Moyer

/would not be shocked if they considered him a legitimate option
                        Posted this at the other place:

"Something I think they could look at doing...see if Moyer would come here for low price (couple ms) to be that #5 veteran lefty that Hendrickson/Robertson failed at being. His biggest problems since being traded to Philly has been home runs, so going from there to here should do good on that and I think he'd put up a mid-4ish ERA. Then have Sanabia/Volstad duke it out for #4, whoever loses goes to the bullpen and should be average/above average arm there."

With what the price relievers normally get, I think it'd be money better spent rather than signing a marginal BP guy

Comment

If that's the plan, Sanabia should go to the 'pen. His changeup is a legit strikeout pitch. Volstad would just throw BP out of the 'pen and I assume we're not sending either there to be a mop-up reliever.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

"Something I think they could look at doing...see if Moyer would come here for low price (couple ms) to be that #5 veteran lefty that Hendrickson/Robertson failed at being. His biggest problems since being traded to Philly has been home runs, so going from there to here should do good on that and I think he'd put up a mid-4ish ERA. Then have Sanabia/Volstad duke it out for #4, whoever loses goes to the bullpen and should be average/above average arm there."

With what the price relievers normally get, I think it'd be money better spent rather than signing a marginal BP guy
                            Over the last four years, Moyer's K/9 have decreased every year, from 6.04 K/9 in 2007 to 5.08 K/9 in 2010. His HR/9 have increased over the last three years. He's a declining player, albeit one who has declined at a later age than what was expected. I'm not betting a couple mil on a guy who'll be 48(!) starting next year to reverse what's been a steady slide downhill over the last few years.

But yes, I can see Beinfest doing it, if for no other reason than so that Wes Helms will have an intangibles buddy on the pitching staff to teach Sean West how to pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post

Jamie Moyer is .190/.213/.338 against in Citizens Bank this season. He's been considerably worse away from home. His home run rate is higher away from home too.

Comment

Working...
                              X