Albert Pujols Would Accept a Trade to the Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Pujols Would Accept a Trade to the Marlins

Since no one wants to talk about the games, how about Pujolsappollosa?

Cardinals beat writer Derrick Goold (@dgoold) reminded his followers in a tweet that last November Albert Pujols submitted his list of teams to which he would accept a trade. Among them: the Marlins, Astros, Angels and Dodgers. No doubt Pujols put the Marlins on the list fully aware they likely didn’t have the financial wherewithal to keep him long-term even if they could acquire him.

The Cardinals have a $16 million club option for 2011 on Pujols they’re sure to exercise. Beyond 2011, the money could get ridiculous. Pujols should command an Alex Rodriguez-like $25 million to $30 million a season for eight years.

Employing a little suspension of disbelief, let’s assume the Marlins could afford it and the Cardinals are ready to deal. Pujols turns 31 in January. What are you prepared to give up for him? If the Cardinals say Hanley Ramirez and either Mike Stanton or Logan Morrison have to be in the deal, do you still pursue a trade? Ideally, the Marlins could build a package without including Stanton or Morrison, but can’t imagine the Cardinals would go for it.
    How about: Ramirez, Gaby Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco, Matt Dominguez, and Chad James? Too much, even if it means hanging on to Morrison and Stanton?
    Florida Marlins among teams to which Albert Pujols would accept a trade

Any Marlins team with Pujols has to have Hanley on it.

Comment

Yeah, no thanks to that offer.

Comment

Perhaps we could throw in the roof from the new stadium, too.

Comment

roof for pujols. I would love to see him on this team but a) where does he play and b) who is given up for him

Comment

You probably don't let Gaby Sanchez block Albert Pujols.

Comment

I would accept a trade to the Marlins too.

/as likely to happen

Comment

He's a FA after 2011, rather give that a shot over this. I do not feel comfortable dealing away a package starting with Hanley or even JJ.. I don't mind dealing Nolasco, Dominguez, James or anyone else not named Hanley, JJ, Stanton or LoMo

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                  He's a FA after 2011, rather give that a shot over this. I do not feel comfortable dealing away a package starting with Hanley or even JJ.. I don't mind dealing Nolasco, Dominguez, James or anyone else not named Hanley, JJ, Stanton or LoMo
                  I would deal Hanley before I dealt Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                    I would deal Hanley before I dealt Johnson.
                    Yeah I agree with that. As great as Hanley has been, Pujols has always been better, Pujols is the best in baseball.

Comment

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh

Comment

Swift always beats me to the timely "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

dammit

Comment

Swift is an extreme message boarder.

Comment

Considering the exorbitant cost money wise, and what the team would have to give up, coupled with the team probably not retaining him after the fact...no thanks. Would love to have Pujols though, I just cant see it happening in a way that actually makes the team any better.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Hypothetically speaking, if we could get Pujols and (re-sign him) I would be willing to part with any players not named JJ and Hanley. Now I don't think I'd be willing to build a package around LoMo and Stanton, but they could have one or the other.

I think. Someone talk me out of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X