Marlins Talking Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins Talking Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez

•The Padres are fielding all sorts of calls on Heath Bell. Of the dozen or so interested, the Marlins have probably been the most aggressive.
    From Mlb Trade Rumors but he got it from Buster Olney's ESPN insider thing.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Bell is interesting
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

:cool

That's one ugly delivery but he's been effective.

Comment

The Padres are getting all kinds of hits on closer Heath Bell -- almost a dozen teams have expressed interest -- and not surprisingly, the Florida Marlins have been among the most aggressive teams, reports ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Marlins have had issues at the back end of their bullpen for much of the season, and Bell would solidify that spot. The Padres have made it clear to other teams that while they are not intent on moving Bell, they will be willing to make a trade if somebody makes an aggressive offer that can help the San Diego organization in the long run. Bell, an NL All-Star this year, has converted 25 of 26 save chances, while compiling a 2.01 ERA. Baseball Prospectus
        Bell is worth paying a premium "Finding year-to-year consistency from relievers is no easy thing. Enter Bell, in the top 10 in Fair Runs Allowed (which includes a reliever's rates of inherited runs he lets score) this season with a 1.78 FRA, that after giving the Pad people a 3.55 FRA in 2008 and a 1.66 FRA in 2007. In short, he's someone with a multi-year track record for success, and he'd be under team control for two more (arbitration-eligible) seasons beyond this year. As a result, between his relative durability and his performance track record, he's a reliever worth paying a premium to add." - Christina Kahrl
        He'll cost alot. I'd prefer a bat. w/e
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

Comment

Echoing Buster Olney's earlier reports, Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi at Fox Sports are saying that the Marlins are indeed the most aggressive of 10 to 15 teams looking to add Heath Bell. The Marlins have the prospects to get a deal done and "could easily absorb" the $400k left owed to Bell this season. However, the Padres are said to want the Marlins' top starting pitching prospects in Sean West and Andrew Miller if such a deal were to happen, a high price to pay.
          mlbtraderumors.

Comment

if we trade a sp for bell GRR ANGRY FACE

Comment

What if that Adrian guy was attached.

/highly unlikely
              --------------------
              I just got a great laugh out of the guy that left a comment about the rumor.

Teams Hot After Heath
              Last edited by MiamiHomer; 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

What I don't understand about Bell is, he will be 5th year arbitration eligible. This move can't be so short sighted for this year? And coming off a monster year. I think it's very likely Bell would get to $5 million in 2010. I love "pen" stability, and holy crap would a Bell, Nunez, Lindstorm, Meyer, Vanden Hurk, Badenhop, and Pinto/loogy bullpen look balls awesome next year, but that's a lot of cash we don't have unless Loria says the magic "$40 million" number for 2010.

And what the hell does Bell cost? I can't imagine the Marlins dishing Stanton, Morrison, or Dominguez for him. Maybe West? And then let Depodesta poach 2 other minor league relievers (Tucker? Leroux?). And I'm guessing here, but Kouzmanoff would literally have to be included in the deal right? Cause we do need a bat, and Kouz is pretty lame, but he did rake AAA and maybe just needs a change of scenery. His career away is .793. Then we dish out spare parts for Pavano and pennant here we come! .............

Fake 2010 Team

C John Baker $415,000
                1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                2B Chris Coghlan $405,000
                3B Kevin Kouzmanoff $2,000,000
                SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
                LF Logan Morrison $400,000
                RF Brett Carroll $410,000
                CF Cameron Maybin $410,000
                B Wes Helms $950,000
                B Brett Hayes $400,000
                B John Raynor $400,000
                B Veteran OF $1,250,000
                B Emilio Bonifacio $405,000

SP Josh Johnson $5,000,000
                SP Ricky Nolasco $4,250,000
                SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                SP Carl Pavano $4,000,000
                RP Heath Bell $5,000,000
                RP Matt Lindstrom $1,000,000
                RP Leo Nunez $1,250,000
                RP Rick Vanden Hurk $410,000
                RP Burke Badenhop $410,000
                RP Dan Meyer $410,000
                RP Reynel Pinto $900,000

$39,895,000

Let's say West, Tucker, and some decent RP prospect(s) for Bell/Kouz, and inconsequential parts for Pavano. Obviously can play around with the numbers if we opt not to keep Kouz and bring in a younger 3B, the bench OF, and Pavano if you think that is unreasonable.

We'd have Uggla, Hermida, Ross, Cantu, Amezaga, and Anibal to trade. If that brings back a bunch of pitchers, and we have Stanton, Dominguez, Cousins, Petersen, Thompson, Winters, G. Taylor, Trahern, Cishek, Leroux, Wood, etc in AAA/AA; Smolinski, Galloway, Skipworth, and 10 pitchers in A ball, that doesn't look TO bad depth wise.

We'd hopefully have Hanley and JJ locked up, we'd have 6th year arbitration rights in 2011 to Bell and Nolasco, 5th year rights to Nunez, Lindstrom, Miller, and Kouz, 4th year rights to I think just Badenhop of all people, and no one else (Volstad, Baker) sniffs arbitration until at least 2012.

Actually. This works pretty well if Loria says "$40 million" 2010. The only thing I'm iffy about in this entire situation is not having a front line SP prospect, even a West or Vanden Hurk, sitting in AA/AAA. I like what Sanabia is doing, some of you like Winters a lot, and I have a soft spot for Thompson, but I'd really like a "Volstad" to just be sitting in AA killing people. But I guess that is a 2011 problem, and we can sacrifice West now to make our bullpen Minnesotaesque.

Comment

Ehe that whole thread is funny

Comment

Minnesota's bullpen isn't very good, FWIW.

But yeah, Bell would be worth a pitching prospect or two. If they'd take Miller instead of West, that would also help with the salary situation. Miller + Tucker (or, preferably, Thompson) + another lower level prospect would be ok. I'd pay more if they'd take Miller instead of West. Miller's upside may be higher, adn it would suck if he went to SD and put it all together, but at the same time West's cost controlled years seem more valuable to the future than Miller's potential. And that 2010 bullpen would be really cool. Like, get the game to the seventh inning and it's over the vast majority of the time cool.

Doubt they'd take Miller though instead of West, so this is kinda moot. And if they want both Miller and West, then fuck that noise.
                    Last edited by wanks1212; 07-29-2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Well it should be a fun 2 days for us. Like my boy Rosenthal said we are into Heath Bell and they are willing to take Andrew Miller and another prospect or 2 however we have started to F*CK this up to.

They asked for Sean West or Andrew Miller which we countered with Jeremy Hermidap: and prospects. They want pitchers and we keep pushing crap on them. on the brightside at least they are not asking for Stanton,Morrison,or Coghlan like every other team.

Buddy said a Miller,minor league OF(Cousins,Petersen i guess),and a minor league arm could get this done

Not sure how much more of this they are gonna deal with tho because the teams are lined up for him and if it takes a young SP and a prospect,there will be ALOT of them ready to deal that.

The other reason we are OK with dealing prospects is because we are looking to deal either Hermida or Ross with prospects in return

In other news still hearing we are looking at Carl Pavano with the big hangup still his contract. We want them to pay it and they want us to give a better prospect if they do. Not that big of an issue really,I think it is more of us playing chicken with Cleveland to see who blinks first. Cleveland does not need or want Pavano so the Marlins thinking is they will come around and say deal just take him.

Interesting name teams have been calling about is Kiko Calero who we are NOT trading.

Comment

Interesting with San Deigo (for nny). I'd just hate trading away a SP + for a reliever.
                        - Michael Johnson

Comment

Is Bell the only thing we would get in return?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                            Is Bell the only thing we would get in return?
                            From what I hear but who knows? They want to lose payroll and get younger. If we wanted a Kouzmanoff they would probably throw him in

I think it is also more about getting something for Heath Bell,the guy is at the highest value he will ever be and they are not gonna compete for 3 years or so. The thinking is trade him now and get a nice package rather get him thru arbitration or if something happens between now and next year(injured,can't close games). In other words they are rebuilding and don't wanna pay him millions to close games for a terrible team
                            Last edited by tjfla; 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM.

Comment

If they could get Bell and Headley I'd feel a little better.
                              - Michael Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X