No announcement yet.

JJ Re-Signs: 4 Year Deal, $39 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the Marlins lowballing an offer could ever be considered unbelievable, so false.

Anyway, this is exciting and I hope JJ doesn't just sit on this K for the first couple of years. Keep it up kiddo!
    Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
      Beef, if that's the case then why was everyone on the website all doom and gloom when that news came out a couple months ago? I'm sure there were some people (maybe even you) who may have expected this, but hte majority of people were legitimately worried that this wouldn't get done.
      Have you ever read this board? It's 90% doom and gloom, and then there's like Lou.
      poop

Comment

I don't disagree with that, but it validates my point--majority of people didn't think this was a sure thing at all. It doesn't matter, I think all of Marlin nation should just rejoice...and at least we know that the next time an agent tries to badmouth the organization we can rest easier that it's just fluff--most of the time at least.

Comment

It was a matter of ridiculous knee jerk reactions to shit coming out of some moron's mouth.

If Fip comes on and tells me that the new big thing in sex is taking it in the dickhole from another guy, I am not going to believe him and jump out my window to avoid getting my dickhole fucked

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Have you ever read this board? It's 90% doom and gloom, and then there's like Lou.
            Doom and gloom and sunshine and lollipops?

Comment

Aren't you starting from a false initial premise, Lefty? You assume that if a sufficient number of people believe that there's turmoil, then there is/was actual turmoil. Perception certainly doesn't equate to reality.

People need to read stories with a much better critical eye. Sosnick's interest it to put pressure on the organization to get as close to his offer as possible; it's not to be completely honest with reporters about the earnest back and forth going on behind the scenes. And, all he said was what goes in every standard negotiation. "They originally gave us an offer below the value that we had in ours." SHOCKING! That's how every single negotiation works. And, both sides try to assert leverage and eventually both sides have to come to some mutual understanding or they walk away.

I can also assure you that Sosnick would not have threatened to go to a 1 year contract if he honestly thought the Marlins would say, "Screw it. 1 year it is." You don't make a statement like that if you honestly expect them to call your bluff. Why would he do that? The answer is simple; future business.

Suppose I'm at a poker table and I read that the guy has absolutely 0% of re-raising me on the river (either he'd call or fold). Now, suppose I throw out the threat, "If you re-raise, I'm going all-in." Even if the guy says, "I never had any interest in re-raising," I've made him look weak to everyone else at the table because people are stupid. I'm not really sending a message to the guy I'm playing against; he was never going to do what I said he was going to do. Instead, I'm sending a message to everyone else at the table. That's kind of what Sosnick is doing here. He can say to potential clients now: "Hey look! The Marlins threatened to give him a 1 year deal (Not True), and I was able to walk them off the ledge and get them to give EXACTLY what I said I'd get for my client."

In actuality, Sosnick probably started out with a number a lot higher than $39 million and said something like "4 year, $39 million or we walk" AFTER the Marlins tried to hit back with the 3 year deal.

Also, all internal reports from the organization said re-signing JJ was Priority #1 and that a deal would get finalized before the season. I think any hysteria was based upon too many people believing what some douchebag agent was leaking to the press and reading too much in to the organization's silence (when it's in their interest to keep the negotiations behind closed doors because they are cash-strapped and don't want to compromise their leverage in future deals.)

Comment

I am literally just going by the posts I read on this message board from the original JJ thread. The general sentiment seemed to be that the Marlins wouldn't get this done. I agree with everything you have said. I'm not sure why such a detailed explanation is necessary, especially when my post has very little to do with what we're now discussing. I just wanted to know how much, if any, this had to do with the Chapman situation. I understand that all of you feel it has nothing to do with the Chapman outcome, so that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                  Doom and gloom and sunshine and lollipops?
                  lollipops are tasty, found a rootbeer float flavored one that was good

Comment

I am literally just going by the posts I read on this message board from the original JJ thread. The general sentiment seemed to be that the Marlins wouldn't get this done. I agree with everything you have said. I'm not sure why such a detailed explanation is necessary, especially when my post has very little to do with what we're now discussing. I just wanted to know how much, if any, this had to do with the Chapman situation. I understand that all of you feel it has nothing to do with the Chapman outcome, so that's that.
                    Eph you, you had one post about Chapman and then a couple hand fulls after that were all about how surprising this was and how it was so unexpected and unlikely to get done because all the evidence we had pointed to this not coming to fruition. Then most of your posts base your entire conclusion about evidence we had and surprise on what a bunch of knee jerking jerks said in response to a silly article full of silly quotes from a silly fella.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with saying that this is a surprise. Absolutely nothing.

I understand that you were personally convinced all along that it would happen, but the majority of people seemed pessimistic about the Fish reaching an extension with JJ. The article, coupled with the organization's general conservative approach to signings, made it very easy for fans to think that the extension would not happen. Why are you so upset? I think it's great that you were able to ignore the agent's fluff.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with saying that this is a surprise. Absolutely nothing.

I understand that you were personally convinced all along that it would happen, but the majority of people seemed pessimistic about the Fish reaching an extension with JJ. The article, coupled with the organization's general conservative approach to signings, made it very easy for fans to think that the extension would not happen. Why are you so upset? I think it's great that you were able to ignore the agent's fluff.

I'll see you at the nerd-movies

Comment

I never once thought signing JJ was in jeopardy. I'm dead serious.

I imagine if he wasn't signed by the beginning of Feb then subsequently signed 3 weeks later I may have been a little suprised.

Comment

Hopefully this JJ doesn't shut down the studio.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Flum View Post
                              I won't ever use the word capitulate again.
                              I always thought capitulate meant sex.
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Was looking at bizofbaseball, apparently before the Marlins signed Johnson arbitration figures were exchanged (the only other player this happened with was Cody, which is currently going to arbitration):

Johnson $5 million
                                Marlins $3 million

A huge beatdown was coming to the Marlins if they didn't sign this deal. $3 million is hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X