No announcement yet.

JJ Re-Signs: 4 Year Deal, $39 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The league didn't say much because they came to an agreement that hasn't been publicized. We don't know what they discussed behind closed doors or to what agreement they came. Had they not come to an agreement, the articles from earlier in the week (yesterday?) seemed to indicate that the MLBPA would file for sanctions. Now, I don't know exactly how the entire process works, but it seems like something the Marlins wanted to avoid. In fact, they did avoid it by coming to an agreement to change their behavior. And after they agreed to change their behavior, we have proof positive change in behavior. It just seems too coincidental to me for the two events to be unrelated.

Comment

This agreement would not have disappeared had we signed JJ a month ago.

I also doubt that they file such sanctions if we don't sign JJ

Comment

The JJ deal doesn't really affect payroll over the next two years.

I'm still of the opinion that the league's payroll statement didn't change anything. We've been talking about signing JJ longterm for months and raising payroll to keep Uggla and Cantu for a few weeks now. To think we are being forced into anything we didn't already know about is silly.
        poop

Comment

I agree with bobbob.

Comment

Fuck you

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
              I agree with bobbob.
              Mega dittoes!!!!
              poop

Comment

I'm not saying that the sanctions were predicated on signing or not signing JJ.

Because they get revenue sharing money, the sanctions would have been based on the marlins investing insufficient funds into their on-field product. Right? It would follow that the Marlins have to increase their investment in some way in order to avoid sanctions. I would guess that the two parties came to an agreement as to how much they should increase that investment. After the agreement, the Marlins are now operating with what is essentially a mandatory increase in salary by some amount that we don't know. It just might be that they felt that due to the ongoing negotiations with Sosnick, that they weren't going to be able to sign JJ unless they capitulated to the amount that Sosnick offered. Given JJ's value, I think it's plausible that they felt the best way to spend that mandatory payroll increase would be to invest in JJ and give in to his demands.

Comment

You are the all-seeing, all-knowing, Maha-Bobbie.

Comment

Part of what you are saying is true. The part about capitulate capitulate capitulate I do not much agree with. I am going to Publix now. I will be wearing a yellow shirt. If I see you there and you cum say hello, I gon punch your face.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                      Or maybe their first offer was low and they negotiated up from their like any normal negotiators would and the agent fellow is a fucking douchetard who went to the media and said a bunch of stupid shit that people should not have believed and misrepresented the entire situation.

I'm 99% sure I was one of the few that alluded to this when they originally low balled him.
                      --------------------
                      ehe I said "low BALL"
                      Last edited by Namaste; 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                        Part of what you are saying is true. The part about capitulate capitulate capitulate I do not much agree with. I am going to Publix now. I will be wearing a yellow shirt. If I see you there and you cum say hello, I gon punch your face.
                        I won't ever use the word capitulate again.

Comment

Except that had made every indication they were keeping JJ til he was a free agent no matter what. So if anything, this deal lowers payroll over the next two seasons. And of course they were raising payroll once they got to the new stadium, whether it was with JJ or someone else.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            The JJ deal doesn't really affect payroll over the next two years.

I'm still of the opinion that the league's payroll statement didn't change anything. We've been talking about signing JJ longterm for months and raising payroll to keep Uggla and Cantu for a few weeks now. To think we are being forced into anything we didn't already know about is silly.
                            Conspiracy theory fun:

LeBatard noted that the Marlins had known about that joint statement shit for awhile. Maybe the Fish knew that semi-mandatory payroll increases were coming and only started talking about keeping Uggla and Cantu once they heard about "you gots to spend money" stuff. And, further, they only started talking about keeping Uggla and Cantu publicly prior to the "you gots to spend money" info coming out so that people wouldn't say "hey, you're only talking about keeping those guys because MLB said you have to."

Comment

Sure, that's probably true. But it doesn't change what we 'knew', I guess.
                              poop

Comment

I do not actually believe that conspiracy theory is true

Comment

Working...
                                X